GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

These two short-lived TV shows featured movie stars in perhaps their only starring TV (series) roles. Both involved intrigues in Washington, DC. Name either one.

George C. Scott stars as President Samuel Tresch, whose wife mysteriously leaves him. From the late 1980's.

Sharon Stone as Vice President Natalie Maccabee, guardian of a special copy of the Constitution. Ran last year.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

These two short-lived TV shows featured movie stars in perhaps their only starring TV (series) roles. Both involved intrigues in Washington, DC. Name either one.

George C. Scott stars as President Samuel Tresch, whose wife mysteriously leaves him. From the late 1980's.

I've already essentially given the title.

Sharon Stone as Vice President Natalie Maccabee, guardian of a special copy of the Constitution. Ran last year.

This special, "original" version of the Constitution includes a section in Article 2 empowering a secret operative to carry out covert operations, under the direction of the VP. The show's title refers to the operative, not the VP.

George

I've already essentially given the title.

Also featured Conrad Bain and Madeline Kahn

This special, "original" version of the Constitution includes a section in Article 2 empowering a secret operative to carry out covert operations, under the direction of the VP. The show's title refers to the operative, not the VP.

Also starring Gerald McRaney, Jeff Hephner, and John Shea.

George

• 3 weeks later...

This recent cable-TV show was based on a Stephen King story. Many of the episodes have subtle references (Easter eggs?) to other King works.

Actors Laura Vandervoort, Steve Lund, and Kiara Glasco, all of whom guest-starred in season 3 of this show (as Arla Cogan, James Cogan, and Ginger Danvers, respectively), went on to star in another Syfy-syndicated Canadian series called Bitten.

WWE star "Edge," (Adam Copeland) played a major role in the last couple of seasons.

George

This recent cable-TV show was based on a Stephen King story. Many of the episodes have subtle references (Easter eggs?) to other King works.

Actors Laura Vandervoort, Steve Lund, and Kiara Glasco, all of whom guest-starred in season 3 of this show (as Arla Cogan, James Cogan, and Ginger Danvers, respectively), went on to star in another Syfy-syndicated Canadian series called Bitten.

WWE star "Edge," (Adam Copeland) played a major role in the last couple of seasons.

In the titular town where almost all of the action occurs, most townspeople have powers (though they're called something else), generally activated by strong emotion. The mayor made everybody like him (not intentionally -- that was his power). One of the law enforcement officials (sheriff at the end of the show) attracted bullets, so he always wore a bullet-proof vest.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here's another multiple-choice round. Answer any to take the round.

A) Here was a cartoon for a kid who can't wait for the next Olympics. 3 teams of cartoon characters, competing in challenges with each other all over the world. Next week, they go all over the world to do it again.

B) This was a cartoon about a Canadian mountie, and had no connection whatsoever with Dudley-Do-Right.

C) De Patie-Freling produced this team of a half-dozen superheroes, who apparently were for hire, even their trainee who rode a flying guitar.

D) This Middle Eastern team included a strongman, an acrobat, a disguise expert, and 2 magicians, not counting the cute animal.

E)  This hero-and-sidekick team had a martial artist sidekick, and a superhero with a themed car. The hero's theme was NOT insect-based.

E) sounds like one of my favorites from 50 years ago (!)

"Bat-Fink" was a bat with steel wings, made by the father of his sidekick, Karate.  He drove the Batillac.

Catch phrases: "Your [insert weapon] cannot harm me; my wings are like a shield of steel."  "It's a good thing that the Batillac is equipped with a thermonuclear, plutonium-insulated [insert disaster] shield."

Of course, today, Karate would be considered insulting to Asians, and Bat-Fink would be considered insulting to chiropterologists.  :nono5::jump:

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

E) sounds like one of my favorites from 50 years ago (!)

"Bat-Fink" was a bat with steel wings, made by the father of his sidekick, Karate.  He drove the Batillac.

Catch phrases: "Your [insert weapon] cannot harm me; my wings are like a shield of steel."  "It's a good thing that the Batillac is equipped with a thermonuclear, plutonium-insulated [insert disaster] shield."

Of course, today, Karate would be considered insulting to Asians, and Bat-Fink would be considered insulting to chiropterologists.  :nono5::jump:

George

You are correct!  I had no idea that show was that widely shown.  I only saw it broadcast on Spanish TV when I grew up.

(I found it recently online.)    Can you guess any of the others, while we're on the subject, or do you just want to

post the next one?

The main character of this show is called by a title depicting a noble, heroic man.  The character's name is never given on the show.

He is often referred to as "the man in black," although he often wore dark blue.

Instead of the TV show being derived from a radio show, a radio show was based on this TV show.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry.

The title of the show is depicted on the main character's business card (with a slight change in punctuation).

The show was originally meant to be a private-eye series, not a western.

The main character of this show is called by a title depicting a noble, heroic man.  The character's name is never given on the show.

He is often referred to as "the man in black," although he often wore dark blue.

Instead of the TV show being derived from a radio show, a radio show was based on this TV show.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

• 2 weeks later...

This television series ran for six seasons before the star left the network NBC and jumped to ABC.  Altogether, the series produced three spin-offs.  Two of them were actually spin-offs of the original show each having a variation of the original title.  The third show produced used the character's name in it's title.  All three were unsuccessful spin-offs.