GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

As was usually the case, back in the day, variety series usually went on hiatus for the summer, to be replaced by another series.  One of the top variety shows at the time featured an ensemble of women who were spun off in their own summer series.  The "[A] Show," then, was replaced by "[A] Presents ."  The latter show was the highest-rated replacement show of the year (1968), so it was back for another season, in 1969.  In 1970, the venue moved, so the (summer replacement) show was called "[A] Presents in London."  As well as appearing in the US in its usual, hourly, format, it was shown in England in half-hour installments.  In 1971, the ensemble was spun off into their own, weekly, syndicated series, "Chevrolet Presents ," which lasted two seasons.

I'm more interested in , but I suspect that if you know , you'll know [A], as well.

George

2 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

As was usually the case, back in the day, variety series usually went on hiatus for the summer, to be replaced by another series.  One of the top variety shows at the time featured an ensemble of women who were spun off in their own summer series.  The "[A] Show," then, was replaced by "[A] Presents ."  The latter show was the highest-rated replacement show of the year (1968), so it was back for another season, in 1969.  In 1970, the venue moved, so the (summer replacement) show was called "[A] Presents in London."  As well as appearing in the US in its usual, hourly, format, it was shown in England in half-hour installments.  In 1971, the ensemble was spun off into their own, weekly, syndicated series, "Chevrolet Presents ," which lasted two seasons.

I'm more interested in , but I suspect that if you know , you'll know [A], as well.

George

Hopefully, this will appear after WW's post.  I'm not sure how it got before his.

George

Everything seems to be in the correct order, now, so I'll re-post:

There's another problem, though:  for some reason the letter B in brackets doesn't appear.  Let's change A and B to 1 and 2:

As was usually the case, back in the day, variety series usually went on hiatus for the summer, to be replaced by another series.  One of the top variety shows at the time featured an ensemble of women who were spun off in their own summer series.  The "[1] Show," then, was replaced by "[1] Presents [2]."  The latter show was the highest-rated replacement show of the year (1968), so it was back for another season, in 1969.  In 1970, the venue moved, so the (summer replacement) show was called "[1] Presents [2] in London."  As well as appearing in the US in its usual, hourly, format, it was shown in England in half-hour installments.  In 1971, the ensemble was spun off into their own, weekly, syndicated series, "Chevrolet Presents [2]," which lasted two seasons.

I'm more interested in [2], but I suspect that if you know , you'll know [1], as well.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge
Trying to fix a bug in the system

As was usually the case, back in the day, variety series usually went on hiatus for the summer, to be replaced by another series.  One of the top variety shows at the time featured an ensemble of women who were spun off in their own summer series.  The "[1] Show," then, was replaced by "[1] Presents [2]."  The latter show was the highest-rated replacement show of the year (1968), so it was back for another season, in 1969.  In 1970, the venue moved, so the (summer replacement) show was called "[1] Presents [2] in London."  As well as appearing in the US in its usual, hourly, format, it was shown in England in half-hour installments.  In 1971, the ensemble was spun off into their own, weekly, syndicated series, "Chevrolet Presents [2]," which lasted two seasons.

The group [2] got its name from a number of Busby Berkeley films of the 1930's.

I'm more interested in [2], but I suspect that if you know , you'll know [1], as well.

George

Good guess, but no.

I'll modify one of the clues, to make it a bit easier.  If that doesn't work, I can make it a LOT easier.

The group [2] got its name from a number of Busby Berkeley films of the 1930's.  The name usually implies women who marry men for money.

George

Scratching my head for ideas and then I notice that you modified you're clue George.  That's easier.  Was Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in ever shot in London?  Goldie Hawn, Ruth Buzzie, Lily Tomlin, Joann Worley.  However, I don't recognize in my mind who "The Gold-digger's were?  I've heard of them but I just don't know who they were.

Edited by Human without the bean

Name 7 television [cable] series that have paid a million dollars per episode to it's cast member(s)?  Daily talk show hosts don't count because they are mostly contract agreements.  I found 8 series fiddling around the web so if anyone has watched any amount of television in the last 15 years they should be able to count 5 of these iconic television shows on one hand without looking at their fingers.  So, give me 7.

Yes cable shows are in the list as well.  In those series some of those shows were paying a single cast member a million a pop but most of them were paying multiple cast members the cool million per episode.

Some of them were from older than 20 years ago now.  Some of them are present day.

On 1/12/2017 at 0:12 PM, Human without the bean said:

Name 7 television [cable] series that have paid a million dollars per episode to it's cast member(s)?  Daily talk show hosts don't count because they are mostly contract agreements.  I found 8 series fiddling around the web so if anyone has watched any amount of television in the last 15 years they should be able to count 5 of these iconic television shows on one hand without looking at their fingers.  So, give me 7.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:12 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Are they all cable shows, or did you just mean that cable shows are included in the list?

George

On 1/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, Human without the bean said:

Yes cable shows are in the list as well.  In those series some of those shows were paying a single cast member a million a pop but most of them were paying multiple cast members the cool million per episode.

Some of them were from older than 20 years ago now.  Some of them are present day.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:40 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

OK.  And not ALL of the cast members were necessarily getting 1 million/episode, but at least ONE cast member was.  Got it.

George

A number of shows on this list are not present day but a few are.  I came up with 3 more series that brings my total to 11.  Most of these shows are television series with 2 of them being cable network shows.  Anyone should be able to come up with 4 or 5 of these coveted million dollars club shows without blinking I would think.  But that's me.  I've had this little niche in the back of my brain for quite awhile.   :rolleyes:  (as close to a smiley as I can come)

I'm guessing that "Friends" and "Seinfeld" are on the list, and probably "The Sopranos."

The shows can't be very old, because $1 million today is a LOT less than it was a couple of decades ago.  If "MASH" or "All in the Family" aired today, they would probably make the list.

I'd like to say "The Big Bang Theory" and, perhaps, "The West Wing."

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge
Changed "more" to "less," so my point actually makes sense.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm guessing that "Friends" and "Seinfeld" are on the list, and probably "The Sopranos."

The shows can't be very old, because $1 million today is a LOT more than it was a couple of decades ago.  If "MASH" or "All in the Family" aired today, they would probably make the list.

I'd like to say "The Big Bang Theory" and, perhaps, "The West Wing."

George

You got four there.  You're right George the shows are not older than last two decades.  Sopranos, Big Bang, Friends, and Seinfeld are correct.

Here's a hint or maybe not, another actor was being paid a millions dollars per episode of two separate shows.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, Human without the bean said:

You got four there.  You're right George the shows are not older than last two decades.  Sopranos, Big Bang, Friends, and Seinfeld are correct.

Here's a hint or maybe not, another actor was being paid a millions dollars per episode of two separate shows.

I should edit the hint: the actor being paid $1m per episode for two separate shows.  I'll give a day maybe two and hopefully somebody will take a crack at this.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Julia Louis Dreyfuss for Seinfeld and Veep?

Or, Bryan Cranston for Malcolm in the Middle and Breaking Bad?

George

No and no.  Think reckless abandon, sexually transmitted diseases with show girls in Vegas, models, and lots, lots, lots of drugs.