GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

The star of this show was the progeny of another TV icon.

In the first season opening credits, the star walks through Times Square and sees several Broadway marquees: "Philadelphia, Here I Come!"; "Cabaret"; and "The Star-Spangled Girl." The three shows never actually ran at the same time. "Philadelphia, Here I Come!" closed on 1 October 1966, while "Cabaret" opened on 20 December 1966 and Neil Simon's "The Star-Spangled Girl" opened on 21 December 1966.

The train in the opening sequence of the series was shot at Secaucus Junction, in Secaucus, NJ. It was filmed out of the back of the train as it headed northwest, then the film was reversed, making it appear to be heading towards Newark. That is why traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike (running parallel to the right, with Laurel Hill in the background) is moving backwards.

George

Is this "That Girl", and Marla Thomas daughter of Danny Thomas?

It's Marlo Thomas, but yes. You're up!

George

Thought this was TV show mash up, not name the actor?

It is. You named the show- "That Girl." It is your turn.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of young rebels go undercover and infiltrate themselves into the "Free Love" culture to get closer to criminals. The iconic show was one of the first to introduce words like solid, dig it, pad, and groovy to television audiences.

The main star of this show did not want to work on a television series but agreed to a six-year contract only because he did not believe the show would last more than one season. He also found it difficult to turn down the money and the chance to work with Frederic Forrest. But the show became a huge success, mostly due to his presence. By the third season, he was chafing at having to stay with the show, instead of accepting various film offers. He began to complain about the scripts and often gave listless performances. With the help of his lawyers, he was released from his contract and left the show after the fourth season.

The show ran six seasons. Only one actor remained through all six.

George

The main star of this show did not want to work on a television series but agreed to a six-year contract only because he did not believe the show would last more than one season. He also found it difficult to turn down the money and the chance to work with Frederic Forrest. But the show became a huge success, mostly due to his presence. By the third season, he was chafing at having to stay with the show, instead of accepting various film offers. He began to complain about the scripts and often gave listless performances. With the help of his lawyers, he was released from his contract and left the show after the fourth season.

George

Intriguing clue. I think more TV actors became movie actors in the past. Now days movie actors (big start) are turning to TV in order to work. It's become the norm....

E.R.

Although I refer to "the main star" of this show, it really had an ensemble cast. Most went on with varying defrees of success, but one became a BIG star. He appeared in a cameo role in the movie version of the TV show.

George

And he'll get you high tonight. The one who left. Not the one who stayed. Although if she offered, I might take her up on it.

You scamp! ;)

George

21 Jump Street

Correct.

Johnny Depp joined the show, not counting on its popularity, and eventually bailed (but appeared as an old undercover cop in the 2012 movie).

Holly Peete was the only member to last throughout the show.

George

You scamp! ;)/>/>/>

George

Correct.

Johnny Depp joined the show, not counting on its popularity, and eventually bailed (but appeared as an old undercover cop in the 2012 movie).

Holly Peete was the only member to last throughout the show.

George

This just out* Johnny Depp's wife actress Amber Heard (Zombieland) has filed for divorce after only one year of marriage. She was 23 years younger than Mr. Depp. Whatever could have gone wrong?

The good news for Johnny is no pre-nup.

Edited by Human without the bean

Critics were never fond of this series when it aired, but kids loved it. So did Carl Sagan, because it taught children to look for natural explanations to so-called supernatural phenomena/experiences.

And I promise, that's as close as I'll get to doctrinal/questioning faith in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Critics were never fond of this series when it aired, but kids loved it. So did Carl Sagan, because it taught children to look for natural explanations to so-called supernatural phenomena/experiences.

And I promise, that's as close as I'll get to doctrinal/questioning faith in this thread.

Well,IMO you have to figure a tv show that is teaching supernatural phenomena needs to have a host who draws the attention of those children to them, maybe Leonard Nemoy so let's go with IN SEARCH OF....

This is about a few related shows.

One was a cartoon- and the other 2 were live-action shows.

All were based on the same character, and the live shows did well.

One lasted 10 seasons, the other lasted 4 and was ended when executive

wrangling prevented the show from continuing.

(Actually-that might have been intentional- the Powers-That-Be were then

free to develop a new show which contradicted the current show

(and lasted 4 seasons...ending years before the last adaptation was begun.)

None of the shows I'm referencing could mesh with the others-they would

contradict with each other.

So, name either live-action show.

(Or any live-action show if you're confused but figured out the answer.)

This is about a few related shows.

One was a cartoon- and the other 2 were live-action shows.

"The Adventures of Superboy" was "the adventures of Superman when he was a boy."

All were based on the same character, and the live shows did well.

One lasted 10 seasons, the other lasted 4 and was ended when executive

wrangling prevented the show from continuing.

(Actually-that might have been intentional- the Powers-That-Be were then

free to develop a new show which contradicted the current show

(and lasted 4 seasons...ending years before the last adaptation was begun.)

None of the shows I'm referencing could mesh with the others-they would

contradict with each other.

So, name either live-action show.

(Or any live-action show if you're confused but figured out the answer.)

"Smallville" was the last and ran 10 seasons. "Superboy" (or other variations)

ran 4 seasons, and its cancellation paved the way for "Lois and Clark."

The cartoon was classic Silver Age comic book fare-written by some of the same writers.

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, "the adventures of Superman when he was a boy" was

out of continuity, so the cartoon and the first live-action show were both out of continuity.

"Smallville" contradicted the continuity- until later retcons changed Superman's history

from "Man of Steel" (went into action as an adult and moved to Metropolis shortly thereafter)

to "Birthright" (a lot of stuff happened in Smallville.) Now his history resembled the

"Smallville" show. And "Lois and Clark" matched "Man of Steel" so it couldn't take place

after "Smallville."

Frankly, I don't know why so many versions were made. The cartoons were for small children,

and the idea of a show about "Lois and Clark" (but not Superman-focused) had a lot of potential.