GreaseSpot Cafe

Interesting...

OldSkool

Lately, I have been around friends and the topic shifted Biblical. My old way self used to bristle up and would be ready to pounce so I could "witness" how much "bible" I thought I knew and turn it towards "taking the class." But after being gone for five years I am now able to let the topic turn, listen to other's views, state mine if I actually have a view on the subject, and move on. It feels good. No need to get excited, condemn myself for not saying what I didn't, etc.

Freeedom! :drink:

Listen carefully, you might find that they really know something - that you don't.

It's quite surprising, sometimes, listening to other Christians discuss sections of Bible and see their different interpretations. Some will make you think they are really "out there" but others will give you cause to re-evaluate your own understanding.

I had so much fun at the interdenominational school where I used to teach, and at the School of Theology where am presently a student, enjoying the rainbow-like variety of experiences and understandings among my sisters and brothers in Christ! Enjoy real fellowship with the people God has set you among!

Love,

Steve

I go out once a month patrolling the streets of my city with a few other Christians - there might be from 2-5 other people. It's not usually the same people each time when I go out. There's a scheme requirement that the volunteers be from a number of different churches.

One of the delights of doing this voluntary work is that as we amble round seeking whom we may help, we chat. We talk about what the different churches in the area are involved with; any notable speakers who might be visiting; issues of the day; and sometimes tenets of faith, either between ourselves or sometimes with people we strike up conversations with.

When you concentrate on the BIG picture and not on minutiae, you realise what we all understand and agree upon - the basics. We can all say the same to the unchurched and those with questions, despite our varied backgrounds. As to the other stuff - it recedes to insignificance.

Of course, I haven't come out and denounced myself as a non-Trinitarian and stated that I don't believe JC is God. It's not an issue coz I don't make it one and it's clear that both God and JC accept both myself and my fellow (Trinitarian) Christians. So why should I cause dissension?

quote: Of course, I haven't come out and denounced myself as a non-Trinitarian and stated that I don't believe JC is God. It's not an issue coz I don't make it one and it's clear that both God and JC accept both myself and my fellow (Trinitarian) Christians. So why should I cause dissension?

I left twi in '94, got hired that same year at a warehouse. During breaks I sat at a table with non twi Christians. I made up my mind that I would NOT give my twi based input on 2 subjects: the trinity and abortion. I got along with those guys fine. I even talked with them about SIT a few times. No problem.

I agree, it's not our duty before God to just p people off.

I've noticed some Christians are actually quite nice to get along with...

so long as I'm not trying to start a fight.

Some, I've let know my beliefs on doctrines they disagree with.

They accept I disagree, and we talk about all the other things that we can

do something about.

The other way is to waste time and energy picking fights with Christians who

should be doing other things, and pretending the fight mattered, while we

take time away from doing something that could actually get somewhere.

quote: The other way is to waste time and energy picking fights with Christians who

should be doing other things, and pretending the fight mattered, while we

take time away from doing something that could actually get somewhere.

I think some of that came from the idea that "everything's life or death" plus "the offensive stand on the word is vital to moving the word over the word in our day and time". I've even seen trinitarians use that tactic on twiers.

Well, yes. It takes 2 people to keep a peace. It only takes one pinhead to ruin a discussion.

But we can't blame others if we're looking for a fight. In twi, that was the default for a lot

of people, and getting rid of it is healthy for everyone.

Outside of twi, that's often the territory of people who don't need anything because they

have Jesus. "Do you want some gum?" "I don't need gum-I have Jesus."