GreaseSpot Cafe

Jesus Christ's birthday

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

I have posted this topic down in the doctrinal forum but wanted to annouce it here :anim-smile:

Wierwille's calculation was an out of control fantasy ascribing astrological meaning to verses in Revelation that have nothing to do with the Zodiac. That he was not the first to make that calculation does not absolve him of the blame he holds for perpetuating it. With respect to those who worked with sincere hearts on JCOPS, a vile man once said sincerity is no guarantee for truth. When you start with ridiculous assumptions ("Revelation is giving us the clues we need to calculate Jesus' birthday..." WTF?) you end up with ridiculous results.

[Originally posted here, reposted this reply in doctrinal]

Edited by Raf

Pillai said that people in Biblical times gave something on their birthday, rather than receive something. Does anyone know if there is any substantiation for this claim? We know they must have counted birthdays for the purpose of chronology and that certain birthdays were special, but, did they actually celebrate birthdays in the same sense as we do?

I take out a box of various manger scenes and arrange them on the fireplace mantel on Sept. 11. I just did that a couple of hours ago. They stay there until New Year's. Don't know for sure if that's the exact date but I like to acknowledge His birthday.

well that is the sweetest thing i ever heard

when we were growing up, we had the manger (where the little baby thing with straw was empty) and the first thing we did before opening our chirstmas presents was run over there to make sure he was there (thank you, mom) and say "happy birthday jesus"

ps. do you think he gives a flying?

I have some wonderful manger scenes. It's always so precious to find one where the baby Jesus actually looks like a precious baby. I don't know if it was 9/11 or 12/25 or ? ? ? but it's always precious to remember He was born and lived and gave His life for us.

the beginning of the Jewish year, Tishri 1, Rosh Hashana, is celebrated with trumpets/shofar blowing, but there are so many differing opinions, i do not know which one Jesus was born on.

this is from a googled Jewish calendar page:

GREGORIAN Calendar: AT SUNDOWN...

Jewish New Year Begins: Sunday, Sep. 16, 2012

Day Of Atonement Begins: Tuesday, Sep. 25, 2012

Tabernacles Begins: Sunday, Sep. 30, 2012

Tabernacles Ends: Sunday, October 7, 2012

The 8th Day Begins: Sunday, October 7, 2012

End - Annual Torah Reading Cycle: Tue, Oct. 9, 2012

I do like the giving on one's birthday as a tradition because it turns people into the importance of giving and that really is what we are here for. (i believe when we face the Lord we will be accountable for what we gave not what we received.)

my opinion re vp's plagiarism: He copied and propounded some truths. Because he stole, the lovingkindness that was in the original was lost in what we received, but when we are found by the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, to guide us into these things, all the acrimony and filth will be left behind.

The birth of Jesus Christ should be "on this wise" a time of pure heaven-come-to-earth for us because that's what it was to God.

I have several books on Christmas Customs around the world, such as Herbert Wernecke-Celebrating Christmas Around the World; Olive Wyon-The World's Christmas; Christmas: it's Carols, Customs and Legends by Ruth Heller; various Childcraft books on different countries, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I have several books on Christmas Customs around the world, such as Herbert Wernecke-Celebrating Christmas Around the World; Olive Wyon-The World's Christmas; Christmas: it's Carols, Customs and Legends by Ruth Heller; various Childcraft books on different countries, etc.

The Christmas Album:Collection of wonderful songs, stories, and picturesabout the joyous Christmas season by Doris Millspaugh and Roger Bobley = Deck the Halls; fires, flames, candles;Fuedual Castle; Faraway lands. Also World Books and Christmas Albums from Augsburg