GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Ok, free post. 

"Ok, this might help, might not. I know most book-to-movie adaptations don't get this convoluted, but that's part of the fun."

The name of the movie is Adaptation.

No.  No.  No.

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

"Buddy, I think you're slime"!

"You're discharged, Sarge."

"Do you think she was a pro"?

"Speak into the microphone squid brain"!

I'm using some clues from the last bunch too.

On 2/14/2024 at 11:37 PM, Human without the bean said:

"Buddy, I think you're slime"!

"You're discharged, Sarge."

"Do you think she was a pro"?

"Speak into the microphone squid brain"!

"100% Utah!!  Good Job".

"Is that how you used to run the good cop bad cop?"

This movie featured a return of the title character to the big screen (but was not a sequel.)   The title character appears 48 minutes into the film. The title is first heard 1 hour, 33 minutes into the film.  The title character's tagline (an alternate version) is illustrated, in parts, across the movie.   The actor who portrayed the title character the previous time he was in cinema had a cameo in this movie.  An actress who had played one role previously now played her mother.

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

This movie featured a return of the title character to the big screen (but was not a sequel.)   The title character appears 48 minutes into the film. The title is first heard 1 hour, 33 minutes into the film.  The title character's tagline (an alternate version) is illustrated, in parts, across the movie.   The actor who portrayed the title character the previous time he was in cinema had a cameo in this movie.  An actress who had played one role previously now played her mother.

There had been Superman reels in the cinema before, but this was a full-length movie.  In this one, we got 48 minutes of origin and backstory before we saw the costume, and it was even later when he was called "Superman" (named that by his interviewer when she wrote up her story.)   We saw him faster than a speeding bullet (he caught one), more powerful than a locomotive (he outran one train and held up another), and he cleared the Daily Planet building in one move (he was also "able to fly higher than any plane" when he sent the missile into space.)     Kirk Allyn returned for a cameo, and Noel Neill (who played Lois Lane on TV) played Lois' mother (Lois was the girl that saw a young Clark outrun a train.)

Add that the cold open refers to the Daily Planet as a great metropolitan newspaper and Perry White later refers to Clark as a mild-mannered reporter.

Well done. Superman was my guess, but I couldn't fit all the "tagline" references together (and, for the record, Superman himself says he's here to fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way, something Dean Cain's incarnation NEVER SAID).

4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Kirk Allyn returned for a cameo, and Noel Neill (who played Lois Lane on TV) played Lois' mother (Lois was the girl that saw a young Clark outrun a train.)

There was an extended cut which actually spent a bit more time with Alyn and Neill.  In the theatrical version we only got a glimpse of them.

George

On 2/21/2024 at 3:54 PM, Raf said:

Add that the cold open refers to the Daily Planet as a great metropolitan newspaper and Perry White later refers to Clark as a mild-mannered reporter.

Well done. Superman was my guess, but I couldn't fit all the "tagline" references together (and, for the record, Superman himself says he's here to fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way, something Dean Cain's incarnation NEVER SAID).

I don't have a reference handy, but the last time the phrase came up in the comics (within the last few years, so, the current of the many continuities), he said he fought for truth and justice, but some other phrase replaced "the American Way" as the third point,  something global or world or something.

1 minute ago, WordWolf said:

I don't have a reference handy, but the last time the phrase came up in the comics (within the last few years, so, the current of the many continuities), he said he fought for truth and justice, but some other phrase replaced "the American Way" as the third point,  something global or world or something.

OK, found it this time.

"Truth, justice and a better tomorrow."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/16/entertainment/superman-new-motto-dc-fandome-cec/index.html

"Truth, justice and a better world" was said by Clark and Lois' son, a different Superman (the bisexual one.)

Of the "better tomorrow" motto, Jim Lee said the following:

"To better reflect the storylines that we are telling across DC and to honor Superman’s incredible legacy of over 80 years of building a better world, Superman’s motto is evolving.”

Apparently, that's not all they're changing. 

This 2004 film was remade as a Broadway musical in 2018.

Two of the stars were regulars on Saturday Night Live.  This was also the screenwriting debut for one of them.

Many scenes were cut and several lines were re-worked to give the movie a PG-13 rating (rather than an R).

Tim Meadows broke his hand before shooting and had to wear a cast, so the explanation that his character, Mr. Duvall, had carpal tunnel was added.

A remake has just been released.  Some of the cast of the 2004 film appear, but in different roles.

George