GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

When I think of an actor who decided to quit supposedly due to

bad box office results (but probably due to other reasons),

I keep thinking Sean Connery and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

The movie he did before that MIGHT have been "the Avengers",

which was based on the old television show.

And you MIGHT have been right.

Gibson was considered for Steed.

Paltrow and Kidman were considered for Peel.

Diana Rigg turned down the role of "Alice."

Patrick MacNee was "Invisible Jones." You heard him but did not see him.

I remember hearing about an "Avengers" TV show when I was young. I was surprised to find out that it was not about the Marvel Comics group. :)

I was too young to lust after Diana Rigg. I just thought the show was cool. I was a bit older when Julie Thorson took over... ;)

George

Many of the props used in this movie were used in a movie decades earlier-with good reason.

If not for an actor being too drunk to play his assigned role in a different movie

(and being replaced), this movie might never have been made.

Among the many well-remembered moments are a number of ad-libs by the actors.

A moment in this movie, remembered by EVERYBODY, inspired a hit song.

Edited by WordWolf

Many of the props used in this movie were used in a movie decades earlier-with good reason. Ken Strickfaden finally got a

well-deserved credit for props he'd made long ago.

If not for an actor being too drunk to play his assigned role in a different movie

A moment in this movie, remembered by EVERYBODY, inspired a hit rock song.

The dessert in one scene is better-known as Black Forest Cherry Cake.

The soundtrack credits include "the Battle Hymn of the Republic" "Ave Maria"

by Schubert, and "the Bridal Suite" from Lohengrin, but it also includes 3 songs

that are MUCH more connected with the movie-one of which was sung to musical accompaniment,

one was not, and one was partially accompanied.

One line makes a passing reference to FIVE previous movies.

One scene ended with a rapid cut-away because the last line was

ad-libbed by one note-worthy actor in the scene, and the crew erupted

into laughter.

One actor's ad-libbing with his costume led to additional dialogue

incorporated into the movie.

Premiere Magazine named the titular character role as 9th in their list

of 100th Greatest Performances of all Time.

I wonder what Irving Berlin thinks of one of his songs being considered

as a well-remembered part of this movie.

Ok, George was correct- this was "Young Frankenstein."

Here's what the clues meant.....

Many of the props used in this movie were used in a movie decades earlier-with good reason. Ken Strickfaden finally got a

well-deserved credit for props he'd made long ago.

Ken Strickfaden did the props for the lab in the original Frankenstein movie. He never got credit for them

in the credits of the original. At the beginning of the spoof, he gets a credit-

"props" for his props, finally.

The actor assigned to play Jim/the Waco Kid in "Blazing Saddles" played a convincing drunk.

That was partly because he was a drunk, and was too messed-up to perform his role.

A last-minute replacement was found-Gene Wilder. Gene pitched his idea for "Young Frankenstein"

while filming "Blazing Saddles."

Peter Boyle came up with the mangled "Putting on the Ritz!" during the musical number,

because nobody could come up with what he should say.

"I was gonna make espresso!"

When Frederick was upset throwing darts and missed the wall, Mel Brooks ad-libbed

the angry cat sound.

The "Woof"s were ad-libbed, in reference to The Creature's enormous "personality."

(One when Inga reacts to hearing Victor's description and Frederick's exposition.

Frederick: "That goes without saying."

Inga:"Woof."

I-gor:*drawing* "He's gonna be very popular."

The other time was when Victor's fiancee says it to The Creature.)

Frau Blucher:"Would ze master care for a brandy before retiring?....Some warm milk, perhaps?...Ovaltine!"

A moment in this movie, remembered by EVERYBODY, inspired a hit rock song.

Aerosmith went to see this movie in the theaters. When they came out, they wrote

"Walk This Way."

The dessert in one scene is better-known as Black Forest Cherry Cake.

When the monster finally awakens, they hear his incoherent moans. The scene opens

as they're finishing dinner and eating dessert.

I-gor: "What is this?"

Dr: "Swartzwalder kirschtorte."

*moaning sound like an 'mmmm' *

Dr: "Oh, do you like it? I'm not partial to desserts myself..."

The soundtrack credits include "the Battle Hymn of the Republic" "Ave Maria"

by Schubert, and "the Bridal Suite" from Lohengrin, but it also includes 3 songs

that are MUCH more connected with the movie-one of which was sung to musical accompaniment,

one was not, and one was partially accompanied.

Victor's fiancee hums and scats "the Battle Hymn of the Republic", IIRC, twice, both

in connection with "The Creature." (I really think Frederick would have assigned

him/it a name before his public debut.) I'm a bit fuzzy on "Ave Maria" but I'll look

for it this month when I sit down to it again.

"The Bridal Suite" was a capella at the very end by Madeline Kahn.

The 3 songs MUCH more connected with the movie...

-"Putting On the Ritz" with full accompaniment

-"I Ain't Got Nobody(And Nobody Cares For Me")-sung a capella by I-Gor when the secret

lab's heads are found.

-"Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life"-sung a capella but with I-Gor playing the horn as the movie closes

One line makes a passing reference to FIVE previous movies.

After Frederick performs the procedure to re-animate The Creature, there's a town meeting.

(The one that introduces Inspector Kemp.) A town elder mentions that the allegations are MORE

troubling the elders, who lived through this 5 times before. Mel Brooks confirmed that

was a reference to the 5 Universal Frankenstein movies.

One scene ended with a rapid cut-away because the last line was

ad-libbed by one note-worthy actor in the scene, and the crew erupted

into laughter.

The end of the scene with the blind hermit, as The Creature flees, burned...

Gene Hackman:"I was gonna make Espresso!"

One actor's ad-libbing with his costume led to additional dialogue

incorporated into the movie.

Marty Feldman alternated the side the hump was on from scene-to-scene until they caught

him doing it, and it was so funny they incorporated that into the script.

Frederick catches it once. "Wasn't that...? *gestures* Never mind."

Premiere Magazine named the titular character role as 9th in their list

of 100th Greatest Performances of all Time.

Dr Frederick Frankenstein.

I wonder what Irving Berlin thinks of one of his songs being considered

as a well-remembered part of this movie.

"Putting On The Ritz."

Edited by WordWolf

The lead actor and actress of this film had never done a love scene before, and both felt quite awkward doing it. You couldn't tell from where I was sitting. :)

Although the lead actor and actress spend a lot of time together in the film, he only speaks five words to her.

Other cast members had stunt doubles, but the leads performed their own stunts, as suitable doubles could not be found.

George

This 1999 movie was intended to be a sequel to the writer-director's first (surprise) hit movie, which came out five years earlier. For various reasons, the director decided to write and direct two other movies first. The first of these two movies bombed. The second was a critical and commercial success. The movies all have two supporting characters in common and are set in the same universe. Sort of. Other actors play multiple roles in different movies in the series, but these two supporting actors always play the same two characters. After the 1999 movie came out, two more movies were made featuring these two characters (who also had a cameo, in character, in a movie from a COMPLETELY unrelated film franchise).

Yes.

They first appeared in Clerks. Dogma was supposed the be the follow-up, but instead, Kevin Smith made Mallrats, which bombed. Then came Chasing Amy, which is a pretty damn good movie. Finally, Dogma was made and released. This was followed by Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (the only movie in which they are the main characters) and Clerks II.

Jay and Silent Bob had a cameo in Scream 3 (Jay mistakes Courtney Cox's character for Connie Chung).

When this film became wildly successful, talk of a sequel naturally arose. However, at the time, the star adamantly refused to work in any sequel (and making the sequel with another actor was not a consideration). The star HAS since appeared in sequels of OTHER movies in which he starred.

Warner Bros. gave up the rights to the film in 1988, in exchange for the rights to Executive Decision (1996), because the studio felt that the project had lost its commercial promise in the wake of Rain Man (1988).

Here's who turned down the lead role: John Travolta, Bill Murray, and Chevy Chase.

One of the most memorable scenes from the movie was parodied (delightfully, I think) on an episode of "The X-Files."

The movie is referred to in "Tropic Thunder."

George