GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

One of the better known moments in this film is a speech that few in the American audience even understood, as it was delivered in a foreign language. Translated, the speech reads: "How did I find myself here? They say my famous lover held down my husband and I cut his head off. But it's not true. I am innocent. I don't know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain at the police station but they didn't understand."

In the same scene, red scarves indicate guilt. But the character who gave the speech above pulls out a white scarf.

One of the better known moments in this film is a speech that few in the American audience even understood, as it was delivered in a foreign language. Translated, the speech reads: "How did I find myself here? They say my famous lover held down my husband and I cut his head off. But it's not true. I am innocent. I don't know why Uncle Sam says I did it. I tried to explain at the police station but they didn't understand."

In the same scene, red scarves indicate guilt. But the character who gave the speech above pulls out a white scarf.

The movie took liberties with its source material by having its defining plot conceits and sequences all taking place inside the main character's head.

The movie took liberties with its source material by having its defining plot conceits and sequences all taking place inside the main character's head.

Still need more.

George

The film's lead actor learned to tap dance for the courtroom scene. No body or foot doubles were used.

People are often surprised to learn this is based, Rather loosely, on a true story.

Our main character is accused of murder too. That would make seven. She's pretty guilty too. But it's not really about guilt or innocence. It's all about the old razzle dazzle.

I'd be SHOCKED if neither of you has seen this. It WON BEST PICTURE, defeating Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I haven't seen it but Richard Gere danced in Chicago, which won best picture.

Edited by Human without the bean

Thanks for spoon feeding me Raf.

This was an American western movie about 3 American hero's. The producer had in mind the making of it for 15 years before he actually produced it. During that period, he hired a scriptwriter and began researching. As the script was nearing completion our producer clashed with the motion picture company over the budget and left without the script which was rewritten and renamed and then produced for another American hero from the script.

The producer also was the director. He formed his own production company and put his own money the equivalent of $12,000,000 in today's money to help finance the film. But not without the agreement he also star in the film from his business partner.

The producer, also the director, starred in the film which was a large box office hit, but due to the costs of producing, his investment was lost and he thus sold his rights back to the picture company to recover his loss.

I'm sure by now you've noticed that I like to put up mostly trivia about a movie here, more so than the actual plot. I find it interesting that way. Hope you do too.

I'd be SHOCKED if neither of you has seen this. It WON BEST PICTURE, defeating Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I actually DID see "Chicago." It was rather forgettable, though. :)

Thanks for spoon feeding me Raf.

This was an American western movie about 3 American hero's. The producer had in mind the making of it for 15 years before he actually produced it. During that period, he hired a scriptwriter and began researching. As the script was nearing completion our producer clashed with the motion picture company over the budget and left without the script which was rewritten and renamed and then produced for another American hero from the script.

The producer also was the director. He formed his own production company and put his own money the equivalent of $12,000,000 in today's money to help finance the film. But not without the agreement he also star in the film from his business partner.

The producer, also the director, starred in the film which was a large box office hit, but due to the costs of producing, his investment was lost and he thus sold his rights back to the picture company to recover his loss.

I'm sure by now you've noticed that I like to put up mostly trivia about a movie here, more so than the actual plot. I find it interesting that way. Hope you do too.

Nothing wrong with putting up trivia. If folks can get it from that, that works fine.

I don't know this one, yet.

George

OK lets recap some of what we do know.

This movie is an early classic American Western. Let me iterate, the 3 hero's were not the only hero's. Many others were too. But the main hero's were actors who carried the clout.

The producer, the director, and the star were one. The same person also bankrolled his own money to finance the film, and lost most of it. He later re-gained it selling his rights.

The cost of filming went way over budget on account of the director's obsession with it. The film had an initial large box office draw but ultimately failed to make any profit.

This is new. Two major motion picture stars were given the script to play the main characters. They were Clark Gable and Charlton Heston. Both stars turned them down. Partly for their different political views but for the most it was because of the director himself. It was his first and only time directing and he was a major motion picture star.

Any takers? Anyone with an idea what this may be yet?

I'm just about out of trivia now. Let me go ahead and reveal the star. Should narrow things down a bit.

John Wayne

Not enough huh. It's hard to get at this with trivia and facts. I know.

John Wayne dreamed of filming his epic movie as early as 1946. Had it not been for his passion about it being made, it might have not been filmed.

Wayne flew to South America to Panama, to Mexico City to find the right location to shoot. After numerous attempts were made, eventually he obtained permission to shoot the film in Mexico. Unfortunately Wayne ran into financial problems.

Enter Politicians, GM's, a Women's organization who lobbied to dissuade Wayne from filming it in Mexico amid political outrage once it became public. Wayne had a change of heart. These powerful groups were lobbying to have it filmed where the real-life story actually took place. Texas. When Wayne received a letter from the Daughter's of the Republic of Texas stating that if the film were made in Mexico, then they vowed that not one Texas theater would show it. Wayne relented.

John Wayne quoted Davy Crockett which I liked... "Without freedom, your dead as a beaver's hat".

Of course the film is The Alamo.

• 2 weeks later...

There are claims that there's only a few original stories/movies out there.

If that's true, then, if you've seen the vampires vs werewolves movies,

or the musical with the gangs,

then you might as well have seen this movie, any version by any director.

What is the "original" movie?