GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

I have another clue if necessary. And yes, the actress is a real person.

I guess I don't follow your question George. All the actors were real people.

He asked if the lead female ROLE (the part the leading actress played) was a real or a fictitious

person- was the role based on a real person (like in Mommy Dearest) or not (like in Lara Croft-Tomb Raider.)

He asked if the lead female ROLE (the part the leading actress played) was a real or a fictitious

person- was the role based on a real person (like in Mommy Dearest) or not (like in Lara Croft-Tomb Raider.)

OK.. Yes, the role played by the actress was a real person.

This movie is one of only three films to take every major category at the academy wards.

Well, we do know an approximate timeframe, and the fact that the movie was a BIG winner (top 3 Academy Awards). That's not a bad start for clues, though I suspect we'll need more.

George

Ok! I think this is a big clue for you guys.

This film was the acting debut of Christopher Lloyd was played a minor part.

*gives up and does a search, disqualifying himself from answering*

We'd be here all decade with the current clues.

The lead female role was a FICTITIOUS person. She was NOT based on a real person, she was

invented as a fictional character by the original writer, who did not base her specifically

on a real person. (That's not just my opinion-the character has a wikipedia page and it

begins by saying she "...is a fictional character and..." )

Having never seen the movie, I MIGHT have recognized this character by name.

I would have been able to connect an actor to the movie with precisely one actor-

and if he was named, it would be too obvious a clue.

Edited by WordWolf

Thank you WordWolf for speaking for everyone here. Dropping how you would do it. Because your way and your method of playing is so much better.

Glad you disqualified yourself dude. Other's here like to play not take lessons from you. Maybe you should try keeping your month shut.

Edited by Human without the bean

Thank you WordWolf for speaking for everyone here. Dropping how you would do it. Because your way and your method of playing is so much better.

Glad you disqualified yourself dude. Other's here like to play not take lessons from you. Maybe you should try keeping your month shut.

Boys, boys, don't make me come over there and separate you! :)

Assuming WW is correct, that the lead female role is a fictional character, then what you posted earlier was incorrect and would never have led to the right answer.

That said, I obviously know who Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito are, but I have no idea what movie they both might have had minor roles in, in the 70's.

Nor can I think of any movies which won all three big Oscars.

You don't have to use ideas from WW, but I'm still going to need more help to get this one. Does the title contain the female character's name?

George

I only speak for myself, which is why I made it clear that I only mentioned

things I would or would not recognize. I know I am familiar with different

media than the other posters here, but I can mention what would or would not

work for me. It's not like I gave any actual clues for the movie, and I can

see why it's tricky to identify this one by using or not using actor names

of the cast.

I absolutely had to post something because we were completely stalled trying

to name a movie about a female character based on a real woman when this movie

didn't have one. Since there wasn't one, the clue was incorrect and pointing

us away from the correct answer and toward other movies. (That's how I thought

it had to be some sort of historical drama.) If all the clues were correct,

I would have just noted I disqualified myself and left it at that

(so others would know I was unable to finish the round.)

And yes, I like to play also, so I hate to disqualify myself. I'd rather lose

than disqualify myself or cheat, but this time I was too confused...and it was

a good thing I did look it up because now we can move on.

Nor can I think of any movies which won all three big Oscars.

You don't have to use ideas from WW, but I'm still going to need more help to get this one. Does the title contain the female character's name?

George

No it does not. It won 5 Oscars or as some call it the Grand Slam.

Best Screenplay and Best Director.

Here's something more for you George. Several of the characters were not actors, but were playing their own roles in the movie that they actually performed everyday in the secular world.

It also was at the time the 7th highest grossing movie of all time.

Thank you George for foraging on with me. You got it!

I like this movie a lot. Gritty and humorous film.

Did I know it won all the Oscars in 75? Definitely not.

The guy interviewing McMurray was really the administrator in charge at the hospital. Most of the staff you see were actually real staffers who worked there. I'm sure a lot of the real crazies were really crazies too.

I tried the best I could with what I know and Mashed up the clue. I think I need a break from this thread. I can't compete with you guys really, but I'm going to continue watching you movie fanatics from the sidelines (on this thread) for a while.

(snip)

I tried the best I could with what I know and Mashed up the clue.

Really, do what we do and look up the movie on Wikipedia and IMdB (especially IMdB)

and you may have pages and pages of stuff to draw from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.imdb.com/

I've found that what I THOUGHT I knew-or read elsewhere and thought was correct-

was incorrect and corrected myself with IMdB in particular.

I think I need a break from this thread. I can't compete with you guys really, but I'm going to continue watching you movie fanatics from the sidelines (on this thread) for a while.

It's really perception.

I don't know that many movies.

I remember trivia, but much of it is for movies I've never SEEN.

That's why I sometimes flounder trying to name actors, recognize quotes, etc.

I stay in there and keep trying.

You've probably seen more movies than me. (I tend to re-watch movies I like

more than reach for a new movie, when left to my own devices.)

But, of course, I can only ask you to stay in, I can't make you play.

Please hang in anyway.

The tag line for this movie was, "You'd never take her for a call girl. You'd never take him for a cop."

The movie's title is the cop's name, though the call girl was the main character.

Winning the Oscar for Best Actress, the "call girl" gave the shortest acceptance speech ever (suggested to her by her Oscar-winning father): "Thank you...thank you very much members of the Academy and thank all of you who applauded. There's a great deal to say and I'm not going to say it tonight, I would just like to really thank you very much."

George

George, I'm betting this movie wasn't that recent was it? Lately the Oscar winners talk until the music starts to play.

The Grammys, too.

Frank Sinatra got a Lifetime Achievement Award, and they interrupted

his acceptance speech by "playing him off."

When Billy Joel later did a song, he suddenly paused, stopped,

pretended to listen, and muttered

"Valuable advertising time going by."

The MTV Movie Awards made fun of it. Yoda won the "Best Fight" Award

for SW Episode 2:AotC. When he came up to make his acceptance speech,

they began to play him off early on. He did the Jedi hand wave and

the music halted.

"Play off Yoda does no one."

The audience went bananas. :)

The tag line for this 1970's movie was, "You'd never take her for a call girl. You'd never take him for a cop."

The movie's title is the cop's name, though the call girl was the main character.

Winning the Oscar for Best Actress, the "call girl" gave the shortest acceptance speech ever (suggested to her by her Oscar-winning father): "Thank you...thank you very much members of the Academy and thank all of you who applauded. There's a great deal to say and I'm not going to say it tonight, I would just like to really thank you very much."

The actress was better known in later years for political activism.

George

I don't know why but I keep thinking Jane Fonda. Except she's not really into activism now like she was back then. She won an Oscar I know, Her dad you would guess would have too.

OK now I got it. Paper Moon. Shoot now I'm not sure. Ryan O'neil didn't win an Oscar according to IMDB.

Edited by Human without the bean

The actor who played Det. Klute is still very active in films, today. Neither he nor his son (a currently popular actor) has won an Oscar.

The tag line for this 1970's movie was, "You'd never take her for a call girl. You'd never take him for a cop."

The actress was better known in later years for political activism; her early roles were generally sex-kitten types.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge