GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Some of the quotes seem familiar, but I can't place them. I suppose it would be easier if I knew who the comic was. "Storytelling" talent is throwing me.

George

My first exposure to him was as a storyteller of children's tales,

not an actor, singer, etc.

OH good grief, LOL! It's obvious that anybody who has seen this film would know it by now. I'm taking a stab and guessing the Prince and the Pauper., which I've never seen but what the heck. This sounds like something by Shakespeare. And my knowledge of Shakespeare is limited to the little skit on Gilligan's Island they did.

Large numbers of people who've seen it would recognize instantly the NEXT

set of quotes, even if it's been DECADES since they'd seen the movie last...

And no, nothing by Mark Twain, nothing by

William Shakespeare.

Edited by WordWolf

Basil Rathbone made a career as an actor and a fencer who acted... but for one

movie, he was unable to keep up with the blazing-fast blade-work of the novice he

was facing off against...so for part of their fight sequence, Basil Rathbone

had a stunt double performing the dueling scenes for him. Granted, Rathbone

was 63 at the time, but he was still quite surprised how the other actor was

such a natural-and so fast. It was especially shocking considering the late actor's

extensive reputation always was-and is- for his many COMEDIC talents, (and storytelling

skills) and it's hard to picture him doing action-hero stuff with no double-

yet, that's what happened.

Among the actors in this comedic musical:

John Carradine

Alan Napier

Glynis Johns

Angela Lansbury

Basil Rathbone

Hermine's Midgets (ensemble)

"I'm proud to recall that at no time at all and with no other recourses but my own resources, with firm application and determination... I made a fool of myself!"

"After the dust had cleared, half the cast had a beard. And I'm the one, as you can see, for whom the bell tolls merrily."

"Rules of Chivalry be hanged! Ravenhurst, take that nincompoop, and knight that nincompoop by noon tomorrow!"

" Why be gloomy, cut off thy nose to spite thy face? Listen to me. A nose is hard to replace."

"After months of pleading for just this kind of action, what makes you think that anybody - anybody could make me reveal the identity of my confederate?"

"Because they'd put you on the rack, crack your every bone, scald you with hot oil, and remove the nails off your fingers with flaming hot pincers."

"I'd... like to withdraw the question."

"You'll never outfox The Fox!"

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Good. I’d like to get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"First, plan one. Are you sure you can dispose of my lords Brockhurst, Finsdale, and Pertry?

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Order flowers for the widows. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"Dire news, sire! I've just come from the forest. The child lives!"

"The child lives?!"

"Aye, sire."

"How know you that this is the royal child and not some outrageous impostor?"

"Because sire, disguised as a member of their group, I saw him. And I can assure you that like his royal ancestors, and on the same spot as his royal ancestors, he bears the royal birthmark."

"The... purple pimpernel?"

"The purple pimpernel."

"I am Giacomo, Giacomo, my fame before me rings --"

"Sir Giacomo! You should be in armor! And you, maid Jean, in the stands."

"If I die, just pray that I die bravely."

"You'll not die, you'll not have to fight him. Griswold dies as he drinks the toast."

"Listen. I have put a pellet of poison in one of the vessels.

"Which one?"

"The one with the figure of a pestle."

"The vessel with the pestle?"

"Yes. But you don't want the vessel with the pestle, you want the chalice from the palace!"

"I-I don't want the vessel with the pestle, I want the chalice from the what?"

"The chalice from the palace!"

"Hm?"

"It's a little crystal chalice with a figure of a palace.

"Th-the chalice from the palace have the pellet with the poison?

"No, the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle."

"Listen carefully. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

"I've got it! I've got it. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true, right?"

"Right. But there's been a change. They broke the chalice from the palace."

"They broke the chalice from the palace?"

"And replaced it with a flagon."

"Flagon."

"With a figure of a dragon."

"Flagon with a dragon."

"Right."

"Did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?"

"No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

"Just remember that."

"...The pellet with the poisle is in the flaggle with the chalice...."

"...The poison's in the dragon with the pestle...."

"...Eh, ah, the chazzle is in the poisley with the plellice with the plan- eh, plaglice..."

"The pellet with the dragon's in the pestle with the poi-"

"The pezley with the poisle is..."

"The dragon with the poisle's in the pestle..."

"Pazzle with the fleegle..."

"The poisley with the plazzle is the plazzle with the ploizle...

The chalice with the pa... the flagon with the cha... the floizle with the flagon is the chalice with the poison..."

I keep picturing Danny Kaye, though I consider him an accomplished singer and dancer, not just a comedian and storyteller. As you've underlined "I made a fool of myself," I'll try

"The Court Jester"?

George

That's it.

And you all should sit and watch this movie again.

I did mention he's also a singer.

And I added "etc" since I don't know if he has a reputation

as a dancer.

Although this movie had a large cast, the movie was "about" nine of them. Eight of the nine actors received tattoos of the word "nine" (in a foreign script). (The remaining actor convinced his stunt double to get the tattoo!)

The tallest of the nine actors played the shortest character.

George

Although this movie had a large cast, the movie was "about" nine of them. Eight of the nine actors received tattoos of the word "nine" (in a foreign script). (The remaining actor convinced his stunt double to get the tattoo!)

George

How confident are you that the 6'1" actor's character was shortest rather than 5th shortest of 9?

How confident are you that the 6'1" actor's character was shortest rather than 5th shortest of 9?

You might be right, since many of the characters are short. He definitely wasn't the tallest character.

Incidentally, that actor was the one who had his stunt double get tattooed.

George

You might be right, since many of the characters are short. He definitely wasn't the tallest character.

Incidentally, that actor was the one who had his stunt double get tattooed.

George

That was a shock, considering I would have thought he was one of the more butch actors of

the bunch of guys, and not the sole wuss. Judging from Bob Anderson's comments, I found myself

sorry I'd never get to see a movie with Danny Kaye matching swords with a particular action lead.

George

A movie with a large cast but centered on nine of them.

After 18 months of shooting, there's no surprise the actors got matching tattoos

(in different places.)

It's "the bunch of guys of the ring."

Or "Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring."

For the bored, check this out....

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

The story of a bunch of roleplayers playing through the adventure story of

"Lord of the Rings" (without it having been a book) as an AD&D adventure

rather than books that inspired AD&D adventures.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=729

"Happy Halloween from the Bunch of Guys of the Ring."

BTW,

Rhys-Davies was the tallest actor in the Fellowship.

He played the dwarf, Gimli.

Gimli should be shorter than the humans (Boromir, Aragorn/Strider)

and shorter than the elf (Legolas) but heavier since he's bulky and elves are wiry,

but taller than all 4 hobbits.

(Any DM from AD&D, any version, could tell you that the PC races go in height

as follows: halfling/hobbit tied with gnome, dwarf, elf, half-elf, half-orc,

human- with optional half-ogre taller than human. Some people consider gnomes

to be a bit taller than halflings, which still puts halflings/hobbits as the

shortest.)

========================

Oh, and Bob Anderson (the legendary sword-master of Hollywood)

complimented Viggo Mortensen's great talent handling a sword.

Too bad we'd never see Danny Kaye in his prime faced off against

Viggo Mortensen in his prime in a movie anyplace.

This famous '70s movie included a quote of another famous '70s movie's even more famous quote.

(The quote is remembered more than the movie it came from, I believe.) Funny how an unscripted

line can become the best-remembered line of a movie, and even show up in other movies filmed

later-complete with the name of the actor who said it.

This film included the film premiere of Fran Drescher.

In the real city of Rio de Janeiro, the cariocas have adapted the last name of the

main character of this movie as a slang word meaning "cool."

Filming of this movie ran afoul of "some local Italian businessmen in a consortium"

*wink wink* and some Hasidic Jews, at different points of the filming.

This famous '70s movie included a quote of another famous '70s movie's even more famous quote.

(The quote is remembered more than the movie it came from, I believe.) Funny how an unscripted

line can become the best-remembered line of a movie, and even show up in other movies filmed

In the real city of Rio de Janeiro, the cariocas have adapted the last name of the

Filming of this movie ran afoul of "some local Italian businessmen in a consortium"

The Mad Magazine spoof of this movie showed the main character carrying a can of

"Stigwood Paint."

The soundtrack to this movie was a big success commercially.

The paint can makes me think

"Saturday Night Fever"

George

PS The earliest movie I can REMEMBER Fran Drescher in was "Hollywood Knights."

It IS "Saturday Night Fever."

Fran Drescher was in "Hollywood Nights" in 1980, but "Saturday Night Fever" in 1977.

The producer of SNF was Robert Stigwood. When I saw that the other day, I realized

why the Mad Magazine spoof named the paint so oddly.

The soundtrack sold 20 million copies, which was the record until "Thriller"

took the title.

The Mad Magazine spoof of this movie showed the main character carrying a can of

"Stigwood Paint."

The soundtrack to this movie was a big success commercially.

In "Dog Day Afternoon", someone suggested that Al Pacino improvise the line

"Attica! Attica!" and in SNL, Tony Manero dreams people confuse him with Pacino.

He starts chanting to himself "Al Pacino, Al Pacino, Attica, Attica."

(He does this in his underwear, and his Grandma's scandalized he's walking around

in his briefs. In the Mad spoof, he does this specifically to scare her and

approaches her with spooky hands raised. "Al Pacino, Al Pacino, Attica, Attica!"

Angry, she points the way out of the room. "Horny pervert, horny pervert,

Bellevue, Bellevue!"

In Rio de Janeiro, they sometimes call a cool guy a "maneiro."

When the film was first screened for major Warner Bros. executives, almost no one in the audience laughed and the movie looked to be a disaster that the studio would not release. But the producer quickly set up a subsequent screening for the WB studio's employees. When these regular folks laughed uproariously throughout the movie, Warner Bros. finally agreed to take a chance on releasing it.

One day in the Warner Bros. studio commissary, the writers were seated at a table opposite John Wayne ("the Duke"). The Duke turned and said he had heard about their Western, the one where people say stuff like "blow it out your a-s-s". The producer handed the Duke a copy of the script and said, "Yes, and we'd like you to be in it." According to the producer, the Duke turned down the offer the next day by saying, "Naw, I can't do a movie like that, but I'll be first in line to see it!"

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Something that the Duke would turn down? Nothing is lining up.

He was a moral guy I know. So what would he not do?

Soylent Green?

My previous post also indicated that the movie was a comedy. That pretty much rules "Soylent Green" out. :) (Any time I hear the term "human resources," I think "Soylent Green".)

George

This movie is one of only three films to take every major category at the academy wards.

With the Women's Lib movement in full swing, actresses like Audrey Hepburn, Anne Bancroft, Jane Fonda, Ellen Burnstyn, Angela Lansbury, and Faye Dunaway all turned down the role of leading actress in this dramatic movie because it portrayed a cold, heartless, and unsympathetic character. The actress who played the character won the academy award

Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman and James Caan all turned down the leading actor role which also won the award for best actor.

The other categories are Best Picture (of course), Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Sorry, I know it's more trivia than plot. But that's all I got.

Edited by Human without the bean