GreaseSpot Cafe

Bread Machine

I just ordered a bread machine that has 19 different baking options; from soft bread, sourdough bread, to jams, and yogurt. 
Do any of you experiment with recipes or follow the tried and tested ones?

I just got tired of mixing ingredients, waiting for dough to rise, etc, etc. Hopefully the bread machine loaves are as delicious as the traditional ones.

Mrs Wolf makes quickbreads when it suits her- oatbread, cornbread, etc.     She also made pizzas from scratch during the covid crisis, when all the local pizzerias were closed. Her firat one pretty much was on matzah bread, but later ones resembled conventional pizzas, and none of her breads use yeasts nor wait for anything to rise (thus the term "quick" bread.)

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Mrs Wolf makes quickbreads when it suits her- oatbread, cornbread, etc.     She also made pizzas from scratch during the covid crisis, when all the local pizzerias were closed. Her firat one pretty much was on matzah bread, but later ones resembled conventional pizzas, and none of her breads use yeasts nor wait for anything to rise (thus the term "quick" bread.)

I reread your post on the sourdough thread and you said Mrs Wolf used baking powder and baking soda to get the dough to rise. I will give it a try with my sourdough bread. I do not like to add yeast to a recipe using sourdough starter because it nullifies the sour taste.

How much baking powder and baking soda does she add to a 1 pound loaf of bread?

Edited by Stayed Too Long

I have a breadmaker, and TBH I use maybe two programs of 12.  Allegedly it will make jam.  Not sure I would want it to do that.

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I have a breadmaker, and TBH I use maybe two programs of 12.  Allegedly it will make jam.  Not sure I would want it to do that.

The one I ordered also will make jam, and yogurt too. I didn’t realize it when ordering, but the machine is “used, like new.” Probably why it was less than half price of a new unit. Oh well, it still has all the warranties attached to it. I purchased my KitchenAid mixer “used, like new,” and it has served me well for over 10 years.  
I jusr found a sourdough recipe that added baking soda to the mix so it will hopefully rise better. The starter is brewing now, so should have a loaf made later this evening. Can’t wait to cut into it.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:27 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

I reread your post on the sourdough thread and you said Mrs Wolf used baking powder and baking soda to get the dough to rise. I will give it a try with my sourdough bread. I do not like to add yeast to a recipe using sourdough starter because it nullifies the sour taste.

How much baking powder and baking soda does she add to a 1 pound loaf of bread?

Actually, I said she uses self-rising flour- which contains baking powder and baking soda in it already.

Use self-rising flour.

That's the same as method 3, since it's flour that has the baking powder and baking soda already added.    Mrs Wolf prefers using that to using all-purpose flour in general.  When she makes oatbread or cornbread, she adds some self-rising flour to the mix to get it to rise somewhat.

Mrs Wolf uses self-rising flour instead for pancakes, with the same results.  :)  I'll pass along your thanks.

Actually, she uses self-rising flour, which has both mixed in already.

Whatever the percentages normally are for self-rising flour, that's the percentage she uses.