GreaseSpot Cafe

All Women Belong to The King sounds Polygamist

Bolshevik

8 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A vile word. 

There’s at least one charismatic catholic posting here who apologizes for child rape and pedophilia in the church by euphemistically calling it a “sodomitic session.”

Apologizes for the act or the church?

Typically when polygamy occurs and is socially acceptable there at least 2 reasons why . . . 1) a need to conserve limited resources . . . which feeds into . . 2) the need to consider the next generation.  The next generation is kinda a big deal.

When humans developed agriculture thousands of years ago polygamy become very common . . . most of our ancestors are female, because powerful men.

The Greeks changed this trend by enforcing monogamy . . . . by giving suffrage to men . . . see how voting changes how we form families? 

The Romans borrowed from the Greeks and Christianity borrowed from the Romans . . . .

16 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Apologizes for the act or the church?

Sorry.  Apology = defense.

Defense of the priest doing the child focking.

16 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Typically when polygamy occurs and is socially acceptable there at least 2 reasons why . . . 1) a need to conserve limited resources . . . which feeds into . . 2) the need to consider the next generation.  The next generation is kinda a big deal.

When humans developed agriculture thousands of years ago polygamy become very common . . . most of our ancestors are female, because powerful men.

The Greeks changed this trend by enforcing monogamy . . . . by giving suffrage to men . . . see how voting changes how we form families? 

The Romans borrowed from the Greeks and Christianity borrowed from the Romans . . . .

I know I couldn’t support the needs and desires of more than one wife. I don’t know how those men do it. I marvel. 

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

. . . 

I know I couldn’t support the needs and desires of more than one wife. I don’t know how those men do it. I marvel. 

Actually, you could.  As we touched on before, do so in series.   Legislation 60 years ago made this a common thing.

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

Actually, you could.  As we touched on before, do so in series.   Legislation 60 years ago made this a common thing.

I can’t even do it in series. Or else, I’m unwilling. At this moment, I don’t beleeeve in marriage for myself. Not even one at a time.

What was the legislation?

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I can’t even do it in series. Or else, I’m unwilling. At this moment, I don’t beleeeve in marriage for myself. Not even one at a time.

What was the legislation?

I'm with you on that.

Divorces laws, making them easier, no-fault and such.  Monogamy is essentially not enforced . . . anything goes . . . . my understanding is there rise in other dynamics now, such as poly.  Will that effect how we raise kids and run gooberments?  Probably.

Would people like VPW have and easier time in that environment, or a harder one?

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Divorces

Right. I suspected that’s what you meant. Yeah, baseball, apple pie, Delta blues, divorce — Americana. 

5 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Would people like VPW have and easier time in that environment, or a harder one?

What a thought experiment. I don’t think polygamy would have curtailed his predation or his craving for power, control and young leg.

If polygamy was the norm, victor paul wierwille would practice monogamous marriage as a display of novel contrarianism. 

9 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

. . .
What a thought experiment. I don’t think polygamy would have curtailed his predation or his craving for power, control and young leg.

If polygamy was the norm, victor paul wierwille would practice monogamous marriage as a display of novel contrarianism. 

TWI pushed "commitment" a lot . . . I think he'd have hard time selling that idea

51 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

TWI pushed "commitment" a lot . . . I think he'd have hard time selling that idea

A case could be made that polygamy requires more commitment. More wives, more commitment.

I don’t think victor paul wierwille  would have been willing to be bothered with that level of commitment and responsibility.

One wife and a bowl of Quaaludes for the girls is easier and cheaper. 

34 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A case could be made that polygamy requires more commitment. More wives, more commitment.

I don’t think victor paul wierwille  would have been willing to be bothered with that level of commitment and responsibility.

One wife and a bowl of Quaaludes for the girls is easier and cheaper. 

The Way is rumored to practice wife swapping.  That would blend in.

Apparently quaaludes are sometimes known as quack, which explains the duck just sitting there.

6 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Think series. Serial monogamy is accurate. Most people are in one monogamous relationship after another.

Serial polygamy? A stretch, but theoretically possible. I can conceive of it. I wonder if it's ever happened.

Yes, one monogamous relationship after another happens a lot.

But when you stand back and look at such an entire life of one mate alone and then another mate alone, you see many mates, and not just one.  So I was implying, with my made up terms, that the prefix "mono" is misleading there. 

Standing back and looking at many entire lives, you see ONLY three possibilities:

(1) zero mates per person, or
(2) one mate per person, or
(3) multiple mates per person. 

I'm not sure what to call the first one. The second SHOULD (in a sense) be called monogamy, and the third should be called polygamy.

I think the current definitions are a bit sloppy, and would like to re-define them for clarity. I know that is impossible, but thought it ought to be pointed out that our current definition of monogamy is a bit misleading.

Things get even more complicated when you include common law marriages, and one-night stands that stretch out to a few months.  This last is VERY common now in hook-up youth culture.  I call them "pretend marriages."

*/*/*/*/*

But nomenclature aside, I am seeking verses that can fill in my understanding of permitted OT polygamy, meaning multiple simultaneous wives.  I am thinking that Abraham was a polygamist in this sense.  Maybe Moses too, but very unsure there. 

Then there is the OT use of concubines that really throws me!  I hear David and Solomon had them, but again, never searched all this out.... yet. I have no idea how concubines fit under God's Word and will.

I am hoping that someone here has done that already.

Edited by Mike

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

But when you stand back and look at such an entire life of one mate alone and then another mate alone, you see many mates, and not just one.  So I was implying, with my made up terms, that the prefix "mono" is misleading there. 

Standing back and looking at many entire lives, you see ONLY three possibilities:

(1) zero mates per person, or
(2) one mate per person, or
(3) multiple mates per person. 

I'm not sure what to call the first one. The second SHOULD (in a sense) be called monogamy, and the third should be called polygamy.

I think the current definitions are a bit sloppy, and would like to re-define them for clarity. I know that is impossible, but thought it ought to be pointed out that our current definition of monogamy is a bit misleading.

Things get even more complicated when you include common law marriages, and one-night stands that stretch out to a few months.  This last is VERY common now in hook-up youth culture.  I call them "pretend marriages."

*/*/*/*/*

But nomenclature aside, I am seeking verses that can fill in my understanding of permitted OT polygamy, meaning multiple simultaneous wives.  I am thinking that Abraham was a polygamist in this sense.  Maybe Moses too, but very unsure there. 

Then there is the OT use of concubines that really throws me!  I hear David and Solomon had them, but again, never searched all this out.... yet. I have no idea how concubines fit under God's Word and will.

Don't forget Adam's first wife's name was Lilith.

And most men were slaves, eunuchs, soldiers, or some other form of gene pool dead end.

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

And it's sufficiently, precisely, accurately called serial monogamy.

It's only misleading if you don't understand what it means. No need to make up new terms, because it won't be helpful. Use a dictionary. 

1) zero mates per person, or
(2) one mate per person at a time, or
(3) multiple mates per person at a time

(1) Single; Eligible; Unmarried

(2) Monogamy 

(3) Polygamy 

They aren't sloppy at all. They may only be unclear to you. They really aren't misleading. Use a dictionary. 

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

Throughout history, there have been, and still are, cultures that consider marriage to be a business arrangement and/or a matter of convenience. Marriage for love is a fairly new concept, dating back to about the eighteenth century. This needs to be understood and factored into any biblical discussion of marriage, concubines, courtesans, paramours and the like. 

Edited by waysider

Trying to get past the nomenclature and modern culture on this topic:

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Most other cultures, especially ancient, follow and approve of ... many wives at the same time. I think, but am not sure, that the Bible allows this in the OT, but only if each wife is supported, and treated as equals.  Sound pretty impossible to me, and if anyone has verses, I'd like to see them. I know the Bible says NT minister should not engage in this.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

... But nomenclature aside, I am seeking verses that can fill in my understanding of permitted OT polygamy, meaning multiple simultaneous wives.  I am thinking that Abraham was a polygamist in this sense.  Maybe Moses too, but very unsure there. 

I just want to see more thoroughly what is in the Bible on these items I have bold fonted above.

If anyone has verses and insight on these things, I want to learn.

1 minute ago, waysider said:

Throughout history, there have been, and still are, cultures that consider marriage to be a business arrangement and/or a matter of convenience. Marriage for love is a fairly new concept, dating back to about the eighteenth century. This needs to be understood and factored into any biblical discussion of marriage, concubines, courtesans and the like.

Thanks for the reminder.  I have read about this but forgot it. This should be included in the mix of a thorough study.

Might the book "Song of Solomon" be an exception to this? Or a new paradigm?

Again, I ask from a position of relative ignorance of this book of the Bible.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I just want to see more thoroughly what is in the Bible on these items I have bold fonted above.

If anyone has verses and insight on these things, I want to learn.

:jump:                  I bet you cant wait to tie it back to wierwille and the way international with the usual false comparisions that wierwille was a modern day David

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think, but am not sure, that the Bible allows this in the OT, but only if each wife is supported, and treated as equals

That the wives were all treated equally by the husband? No favoritism was to be given one wife over another?

Certainly, you don’t mean treated as equal to the husband.