GreaseSpot Cafe

All Women Belong to The King sounds Polygamist

Bolshevik

42 minutes ago, waysider said:

Equals? Seriously? This is one of the reasons some people find the Bible so hard to understand. They want to compare  a culture that existed thousands of years ago to modern culture  and expect that the same standards apply.

It's called presentism, as the video below explains:

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Holy Mackerel !  I need to read all that carefully.

Thanks, Bolshevik !!!

My Catholic upbringing was extremely saturated with Mary worship and her never having sex, even after Jesus' conception and birth.  Anything, even the most remotely related to sex, was saturated in sin consciousness and guilt.

It was so unpleasant that I had a difficult time working the Word on this topic after I took the class. I focused on other items I thought were much more important. 

But NOW, I can plainly see that the new TWI-4 will need to do difficult but important work on dealing with the Schoenheit paper, and that means it's important that I work on the Schoenheit paper as well, and to be better aware of what is in the Bible on this topic.

These new wives of David are totally new to me. I only ran across the concubines thing a month or so ago.

Does anyone know if these things (from the article link above) were ever taught in the Corps? 

Edited by Mike

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

That the wives were all treated equally by the husband? No favoritism was to be given one wife over another?

Certainly, you don’t mean treated as equal to the husband. 

Right.  I had heard all the wives should be equally treated and supported.

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

Right.  I had heard all the wives should be equally treated and supported.

You might be referring to inheritance practices.  So when the husband dies he didn't favor just one wife or kid.

https://reformedwiki.com/verses/multiple-wives/kjv

39 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Right. Men and women are not treated as equals in the OT, as prescribed by law. It's not even close. 

Just wanted to make sure you weren't confused about this. 

Yes, thanks.  THAT part I was aware of.
My wording may have been not the best.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

No that is not my intention.  Please don't think evil of me.

So its evil when you tie it back to wierwille and the way international with the usual false comparisions that wierwille was a modern day David? Its what you usually do...so why wouldnt I think it?

5 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygyny_in_animals

I've heard just as many male and female walruses are born, but only 3% of males get to be fathers.  97% spend their entire adult lives in bachelor groups.

Yes and watched a movie on lions as well.  The dominant male has sex with all the females and fights the less dominant males off who don’t have mates.

This animalistic behavior is evident in many cults.  Warren Jeffs, the Jack Mormon in prison for underage polygamy, still runs his cult as a prophet from behind prison bars.

Humans seeking a religion to help bring out virtue in their lives should choose one that is not cult like and that helps to elevate life above the animals.

6 hours ago, chockfull said:

Yes and watched a movie on lions as well.  The dominant male has sex with all the females and fights the less dominant males off who don’t have mates.

This animalistic behavior is evident in many cults.  Warren Jeffs, the Jack Mormon in prison for underage polygamy, still runs his cult as a prophet from behind prison bars.

Humans seeking a religion to help bring out virtue in their lives should choose one that is not cult like and that helps to elevate life above the animals.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200802/the-paradox-polygamy-ii-why-most-women-benefit-polygamy

That guy took a lot of liberties with his numbers, then "concluded" that 1 in 5 women are in a polygamous relationship, whether they know it or not. 

Normally, when you end up with a conclusion that's THAT far off reality, a sensible scientist will go back and review all their steps, looking for where error was introduced.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:26 AM, Bolshevik said:

Didn't Jacob have a favorite and that's why he favored Joseph?

Jacob tried to marry Rachel, and her father agreed- but when it was time for Jacob to marry Rachel,  Dad offered Leah instead.  Jacob married her and then eventually convinced Dad to let him marry Rachel.  So, Jacob had 2 wives- Leah (whom he didn't want to marry) and Rachel (whom he wanted to marry).      Jacob/Israel had 2 sons of Rachel- Joseph and Benjamin, and all the rest from Leah.   Joseph was his favorite- and when the others faked Joseph's death and sold him into slavery, Jacob/Israel's favorite was then BENJAMIN.

Why it was cool with everyone that all of that business between Jacob, Dad, Rachel and Leah was never explained.

17 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Just watching the PNC championships this weekend with Tiger and Charlie Woods playing together.  

I’m sure I’m confused about history here too, the ex wife Elin was really excited about sharing the dominant male, right?

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

Just watching the PNC championships this weekend with Tiger and Charlie Woods playing together.  

I’m sure I’m confused about history here too, the ex wife Elin was really excited about sharing the dominant male, right?

Article doesn't say jealousy doesn't exist.   Article may explain the growing population of millions of males checking out of society in the United States.  Which, historically speaking, is dangerous.

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Jacob tried to marry Rachel, and her father agreed- but when it was time for Jacob to marry Rachel,  Dad offered Leah instead.  Jacob married her and then eventually convinced Dad to let him marry Rachel.  So, Jacob had 2 wives- Leah (whom he didn't want to marry) and Rachel (whom he wanted to marry).      Jacob/Israel had 2 sons of Rachel- Joseph and Benjamin, and all the rest from Leah.   Joseph was his favorite- and when the others faked Joseph's death and sold him into slavery, Jacob/Israel's favorite was then BENJAMIN.

Why it was cool with everyone that all of that business between Jacob, Dad, Rachel and Leah was never explained.

Well it was thousands of years ago during a harsher time to live.  The practice was likely common too.  I don't know if they were contemporaries with the Greeks.  Moses left under Ramses II?  So Joseph would have been generations before that?

11 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Article doesn't say jealousy doesn't exist.   Article may explain the growing population of millions of males checking out of society in the United States.  Which, historically speaking, is dangerous.

Yeah I know.  And one of the Sister Wives on the show isn’t going to continue on in polygamy either.  There was some kind of problem with each sister wife having their own house or something.  After a while the expense adds up. :biglaugh:

5 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Yeah I know.  And one of the Sister Wives on the show isn’t going to continue on in polygamy either.  There was some kind of problem with each sister wife having their own house or something.  After a while the expense adds up. :biglaugh:

Part of the issue is a less and less men have college degrees compared to women there's less eligible men for those women.  No finance, no romance.  But there’s always a few men with plenty of finance.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:12 AM, Mike said:

If anyone has verses and insight on these things, I want to learn.

Do your own bloody research.  Don't you have a concordance?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Twinky said:

Do your own bloody research.  Don't you have a concordance?

I think hes looking for something to use that one of us says that he can use to draw parallells with the OT that rationalize wierwille's sexual escapades on the motor coach. IF the man had publicly repented this site would likely not exist.