GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Oh, okay.

The Bee Gees, Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb were some of the greatest songwriters in music history.  However, some of their songs were written for other people, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton "Islands in the Stream",  Dionne Warwick "Heart breaker",  Frankie Valli "Grease".  In early 1967, their manager Roger Stigwood asking Barry to write  a song for him but after recording it in New York they ended up playing it for Otis Redding.  Otis said he really liked it and that he would like to record it.  Tragically though, Otis Redding died later that year and was never able to record it.  What was the song?

This could be difficult to come up with so, I'll leave this note, Barry Gibb was asked in an interview in 2017 by Piers Morgan "of all the songs you've ever written which song would he pick", and Barry said he would choose "[insert title] because, it has a clear, emotional message".

Edited by Human without the bean

I am going in another direction.  The thing about ~the Bee Gees~ song is something that interested me, but it doesn't make for a good trivia question.   The song was "To Love Somebody".  Anyway.

Here's something.  Science-fiction writer Ray Bradbury changed the title of "Fahrenheit 451" twice before it became what it is known as today.  The title was called "The Fireman" but what was it called before that?

I'm going to post this in case I am right [I am right, but I'm not sure if there is yet another precursor to Fahrenheit 451 that I didn't know]. 

There was once a Broadway Musical. In the SAME YEAR, there was a theatrical movie.

They dealt with the same event and had the same name. Other than that, they had absolutely nothing to do with each other. The songs from the musical were not in the movie. The song and music from the movie were not featured in the musical.

The musical won the Tony Award for Best Musical.

The movie won the Oscar for Best Picture.

This only happened once.

Name the movie and musical.

1 hour ago, Raf said:

I'm going to post this in case I am right [I am right, but I'm not sure if there is yet another precursor to Fahrenheit 451 that I didn't know]. 

There was once a Broadway Musical. In the SAME YEAR, there was a theatrical movie.

They dealt with the same event and had the same name. Other than that, they had absolutely nothing to do with each other. The songs from the musical were not in the movie. The song and music from the movie were not featured in the musical.

The musical won the Tony Award for Best Musical.

The movie won the Oscar for Best Picture.

This only happened once.

Name the movie and musical.

You are right it was the Pedestrian.    Let's go with The King & I

The King and I movie and musical were identical (give or take a reordered song).

So no.

This was a musical named..... that came out the same year as a movie named ...... based on the same historical event, but differing in many major details and characters (those that were made up for narrative/storytelling purposes do not appear in both productions. Those based on historical figures DO appear in both.

I probably won't get close to this clue then as I have no experience at all with Broadway.  I do know about movies though, especially if they were Oscar winners and that's why I thought "The King and I" had at least an outside chance, because it won the Best Picture award unlike 1776.

I was going to try "Phantom of the Opera", because there was a different version besides the Andrew Lloyd Webber version,  but you said it was based on a true story.

Both versions had MUSIC, you say.  The movie has music.   More recent than 1776. 

I'm king of the thread!      I'm going with "TITANIC."

Something Wordpup said earlier gave me an idea.

If you like the original version of "The Producers",  you'll have little trouble remembering Zero Mostel (who played Max Bialystock)  and Dick Shawn (who played LSD/Lorenzo).  In addition to appearing together in this movie, what odd thing did the actors have in common?

If you like the original version of "The Producers",  you'll have little trouble remembering Zero Mostel (who played Max Bialystock)  and Dick Shawn (who played LSD/Lorenzo). They both appeared in "the Producers", obviously.  They also had a background in live theater.   In addition to appearing together in this movie, what odd thing did the actors have in common?

If you like the original version of "The Producers",  you'll have little trouble remembering Zero Mostel (who played Max Bialystock)  and Dick Shawn (who played LSD/Lorenzo). They both appeared in "the Producers", obviously.  They also had a background in live theater.  After doing this movie, both returned to the stage eventually.  What truly odd thing did these stage actors have in common?