GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you really have free will?

Rocky

How would you describe someone who lies to you? Who riles you up? Who makes you anxious and afraid? Who questions whether you’re good enough? Who has preposterous blindspots and disturbing biases? Who prods you to suspect the worst of others? Who tricks you into doing things you’ll regret? Who encourages your worst impulses?

But this is what our mind does to us on a daily basis!

####

How much thought have you given to the scripture in Ephesians 4 admonishing you (us) to not be tossed about with every wind of doctrine? Why and how would that be an issue of concern?

How easily do you get distracted from what you intend to do or pay attention to?

Edited by Rocky

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Good morning to you too, kind sir. :wave:

This is just one of the influences. 

Great video. Scripts. Thats a great way to state it. Not as conspiratorial as conditioning and definately commumicates learned behaviors, behavorial/societal expectations...etc. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Hands down. Great video...

I agree.  This is an extremely good video.  It shows clearly that free will competes (as a minor player) in the mix of brain/mind activities.

Good thing she states in the beginning that she is no philosopher, and takes a practical approach to free will.  At the end of the video she acknowledges at least some PARTIAL control to the entity we call our “self.”  Philosophers go bonkers on that one; impractical eggheads that are they.

I remember when parts of this gut/brain connection was discovered in the 1990s. A famous visiting brain scientists announced one day at our weekly meeting, that it had just been confirmed, that some genuine “cognition computation” takes place OUTSIDE the brain. 

Up till then, only the retina in the eye can claim anything close to that. He said our cognition processes extent to the gut.

What he reported was very simple, compared to this video’s reports of much more current research.  He only reported that the gut can sense what kind of food is in the upper digestive tract and relay the information to the brain. The brain then can “decide” what downstream glands need to prepare for.

No free will was hinted in these processes back then, and that remains to this day.  MOST of what goes on in our brain and body is mechanical, non-thinking, and compelled. 

Breaking away from this mechanical norm, over to a different mechanical norm, is done in only in TINY increments called learning.   This inspired me to search for a MINIMAL free will mechanism to support such a minimal move away from the norm.

23 minutes ago, waysider said:

Socrates would like a word with you.

Socrates has an impressive success record,
but not in the area of free will.

Please tell Socrates that I am in a meeting.

Edited by Mike

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Please tell Socrates that I am in a meeting

This presupposes I want to meet with you.

Have your answering machine call my answering machine. They'll do lunch.

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Breaking away from this mechanical norm, over to a different mechanical norm, is done in only in TINY increments called learning. 

Sounds like baby steps used in indoctrination to me..

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Breaking away from this mechanical norm, over to a different mechanical norm, is done in only in TINY increments called learning.

Learning doesn't necessarily have to occur in tiny increments. What you may be thinking of is the process of disciplined learning.

34 minutes ago, waysider said:

It wasn't me who claimed Socrates was an "impractical egghead".

When it comes to free will and the workings of the brain, Philosophy is to be regarded as folklore.   See Patricia Churchland's MacArthur Award winning book "Neurophilosophy."

Example:  Aristotle thought that the brain was like a car radiator, and  used to cool down the blood.

Edited by Mike

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

When it comes to free will and the workings of the brain, Philosophy is to be regarded as folklore.   See Patricia Churchland's MacArthur Award winning book "Neurophilosophy."

Example:  Aristotle thought that the brain was like a car radiator, and  used to cool down the blood.

So?

Saint Vic claimed he was getting revelation from God when he was actually repeating what he heard from a conspiracy phone in site (the then version of QAnon).

Shall we say Saint Vic was an "impractical egghead"? I guess then the yolk would be on him.

Edited by So_crates

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Where do I even begin?

:doh:

2 hours ago, So_crates said:

Many things  influence us, including ourselves

YES !    YES !    YES !

We start out having only a very minor influence on our behavior, but with persistence that self-influence can grow.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

YES !    YES !    YES !

We start out having only a very minor influence on our behavior, but with persistence that self-influence can grow.

Conversely, we could start out having a major influence on our behaviour and we would still have free will.

23 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Conversely, we could start out having a major influence on our behaviour and we would still have free will.

YES! YES! YES!

We still have the ability to choose whether or not to bend with the influence, hence we still have free will.

As Cuddy shows us the postures and body languages that influence our life, we can move from happenstance (pun intended) to being in control of our posture and body language through our free will, and thereby change our life.

Awareness +  Choice = Free Will

@Mike

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

YES !    YES !    YES !

Free will exists in babies, as they can choose their course of action from coming out of the womb. They just don't exercise their free will.

Babies have free will, as they can choose to feed or not, cy or coo.

About the terrible twos, about the time the child learns to say no, free will sharply increases.

Then there's another sharp increase when the child heads into the rebellious teen years.

Edited by So_crates
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, So_crates said:

Babies have free will, as they can choose to feed or not, cy or coo.

It is a mistake to think that when a person makes a choice, that the choice must automatically be a FREE choice.  It could be a FORCED choice.  We don't have the ability to sort those out when we observe others.  It is very difficult (sometimes impossible) to sort that out just for ourselves.

What would FORCE a choice in a decision?   The synapse set the person brings to the decision.

Babies are born with muscles and nerves just learning to function.  The baby's skeletal muscles are very weak at birth. 

I see adult free will to be LIKE a muscle. 

A normal baby has all the parts needed for free will at birth, but no strength has yet been built up for making free choices.  That takes time and effort.  Many developing children never get this kind of "free will" exercise, and they become problem adults, unable to conform to function well with others.

Since the Sixties, our culture has encouraged less and less "free will" exercising for children and young adults, and it is falling apart for the distinction of pitifully weak wills.    More and more people are being "blown about with every wind of doctrine" both spiritual and practical.

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

It is a mistake to think that when a person makes a choice, that the choice must automatically be a FREE choice.  It could be a FORCED choice.  We don't have the ability to sort those out when we observe others.  It is very difficult (sometimes impossible) to sort that out just for ourselves.

What would FORCE a choice in a decision?   The synapse set the person brings to the decision.

Babies are born with muscles and nerves just learning to function.  The baby's skeletal muscles are very weak at birth. 

Muscles and nerves have nothing to do with free will, the brain does, as it's were decisions are made. A babies brain thinks things like, "Am I hungary?" then I'll cry, "Am I happy?" then I'll coo.

Scientist will tell babies watch for the response of the mother so they can begin to persuade her, an act of free will.

I see adult free will to be LIKE a muscle. 

A normal baby has all the parts needed for free will at birth, but no strength has yet been built up for making free choices.  That takes time and effort.  Many developing children never get this kind of "free will" exercise, and they become problem adults, unable to conform to function well with others.

Adult have had plenty of time to exorcise their free will. What do you think that toddler's no is? What do you think that teenager's rebellion is? Both are acts of them exerting free will.

Since the Sixties, our culture has encouraged less and less "free will" exercising for children and young adults, and it is falling apart for the distinction of pitifully weak wills.    More and more people are being "blown about with every wind of doctrine" both spiritual and practical.

What your seeing is the result of too much choice. Science has proven the more choice you have the unhappier you are.

Edited by So_crates

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Hi! Respectfully, this may be a personal challenge you face, or perhaps you know others who are challenged in thie regard and Im not discounting that nor denying the potential validity. However, it's not particularly difficult to sort out elements that affect our decision making abilities that God gave. A forced choice makes free will no less free...it simply means the will of another was impossed and had to be followed...such as is life...

I make the decicion to get up and goto work...when Im at work I am doing my employer's will but that still happens by my consent. Obviously there are times when people are left with little choice and have to do what someone else requires...thats just life...but barring extreme circumstances its not that difficult to sort out a matter to the point of understanding which choice is best..bussinessmen do that sort of thing all the time...

12 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Hi! Respectfully....

I respect what you feel and write here on decisions.   This kind of talking about free will and decisions has gone on for over 20 centuries. 

In this old mode of investigating free will we have at our disposal our own feelings, observations of others behavior, hearing words of them describing their decisions.   They we weave a narrative that seems to make sense to ourselves, and hopefully to others also.

So the free will debate has proceeded this way (philosophically) for a long time, and it started thousands of years before the scientific method was perfected, which was only about 400 years ago.

The philosophical debate over free will has never been resolved; it rages forever, and never matured or progressed to the level of practical applications.

For 300 years science was not developed enough to deal with the complex issue of free will.  Now it is beginning to deal with it.

In this scientific approach, decisions are made SOLELY on the basis of preparation.   When a person is facing a decision they have no choise, and are forced into the decision by whatever synapse set they walked into the decision with.

An analogy of this would be an professional actor who is scheduled to perform in a practice run of the play WITH NO REHEARSALS.

When the curtain goes up, whatever lines he has well memorized beforehand are likely to be delivered well.  The actor has prepared his synapse set to do this.  He mas made these lines a HABIT.  He can almost relax and perform them, as this habit is a synapse set that FORCES him to perform well.

But suppose his script had a missing page!  

When that part in play comes up, his synapse set is unprepared, and the actor is FORCED by ignorance to flub those lines on the missing page.

An alleged atrophy of free will is NOT why people are so easily blown about by every wind of doctrine.

It is the inquisitive mind, not the will, that is atrophied. It's a lack of discernment, a lack of curiosity. It seems nobody wants to find out anything for themselves. Every one is so eager to be spoon fed.

No one has the patience or stillness of mind to simply look to see what is really going on. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I respect what you feel and write here on decisions.   This kind of talking about free will and decisions has gone on for over 20 centuries. 

In this old mode of investigating free will we have at our disposal our own feelings, observations of others behavior, hearing words of them describing their decisions.   They we weave a narrative that seems to make sense to ourselves, and hopefully to others also.

So the free will debate has proceeded this way (philosophically) for a long time, and it started thousands of years before the scientific method was perfected, which was only about 400 years ago.

The philosophical debate over free will has never been resolved; it rages forever, and never matured or progressed to the level of practical applications.

For 300 years science was not developed enough to deal with the complex issue of free will.  Now it is beginning to deal with it.

In this scientific approach, decisions are made SOLELY on the basis of preparation.   When a person is facing a decision they have no choise, and are forced into the decision by whatever synapse set they walked into the decision with.

An analogy of this would be an professional actor who is scheduled to perform in a practice run of the play WITH NO REHEARSALS.

When the curtain goes up, whatever lines he has well memorized beforehand are likely to be delivered well.  The actor has prepared his synapse set to do this.  He mas made these lines a HABIT.  He can almost relax and perform them, as this habit is a synapse set that FORCES him to perform well.

But suppose his script had a missing page!  

When that part in play comes up, his synapse set is unprepared, and the actor is FORCED by ignorance to flub those lines on the missing page.

Well, you realize this is like investigating if oxygen is to be breathed or not...