GreaseSpot Cafe

Was I Just Witnessed To?

So_crates

A woman in her 40s just came to my door and started to pitch knowledge in the bible.

"Ma'am, I'm going to save you a lot of time," I told her. "I'm not interested in joining church."

"This isn't for a church," she said, "we're just sharing what we know from the bible." She started back into her pitch pointing to the tract she had.

"Ma'am, I was with The Way International for the better part of my life."

At that point she said "Okay", terminated the conversation and went on her way to the next house.

Could she have been with The Way?

It's the abrupt termination that makes me wonder.

Edited by So_crates

Intriguing. To answer your question directly, I suppose YES, she could have been. But in and of itself, it proves very little, perhaps only that she values her time and surmised it would be very unlikely you would be interested if she continued the exchange.

To ponder other possibilities... may or may not stay with you for a long time. :wink2:

I wish they’d knock on my door. If only I could believe big enough, they would.

Some have claimed all you need to say to a Jay Dub is, “I’ve been disfellowshipped.” Apparently, it’s like kryptonite to Superman, or like a question to victor paul wierwille.

Anyone have experience with this tactic?

“What’s the best way to get a JW to leave you alone?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/s/XROxSUO8D2

I don't think I could be impolite, no matter how hard I might believe to stand on victor's shoulders. I was polite every time I declined the witnessing from my Corps in-laws, but they were relentless. They just wouldn't leave it alone - greedy for imagined rewards, I suppose.

What's the deal with the blood? Is that a mark miss for JWs?

Edited by Nathan_Jr

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Some have claimed all you need to say to a Jay Dub is, “I’ve been disfellowshipped.” Apparently, it’s like kryptonite to Superman, or like a question to victor paul wierwille.

That works- basically, you're telling them that their organization made the deliberate decision to kick you out and declare you persona non grata, period.             That's a relatively rare thing, and very deliberate.  They can't talk to you or acknowledge you exist.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

7 hours ago, waysider said:

This pretty much describes every at-the-door encounter I've ever had with JW's. It's purely anecdotal and proves nothing, of course, but you posed the question.

In my experience, it can get them to take off, or to look at you differently. They obviously have SOME sort of notice about twi.  Some of them expect a shouting match and take off, some think "Oh, cool, we can discuss the Bible" but they're in the minority.   In this case, I suspect it was them at your door, but I can't guarantee that.

10 hours ago, So_crates said:

A woman in her 40s just came to my door and started to pitch knowledge in the bible.

"Ma'am, I'm going to save you a lot of time," I told her. "I'm not interested in joining church."

"This isn't for a church," she said, "we're just sharing what we know from the bible." She started back into her pitch pointing to the tract she had.

"Ma'am, I was with The Way International for the better part of my life."

At that point she said "Okay", terminated the conversation and went on her way to the next house.

Could she have been with The Way?

It's the abrupt termination that makes me wonder.

It’s hard to tell with those details.  What was the tract she was holding?  Was it from some organization?

I always answer the door with Mormon missionaries by saying “oh I see you gentlemen are out looking for some help with your tie selection.”  :biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I have relatives that are J dubs.  There’s a number of things you can do - ask if that’s the group of false prophets that can’t tell who is anointed and have missed Jesus return date about 10 times…

Talk about SIT they think it’s of the devil.

Whatever you say though never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever take one of their Watchtower publications, Awake magazines or whatever they hand you.  Just a heads up.