GreaseSpot Cafe

Who, or What is your Greatest Enemy

Ham

One of my grandkids came up with the question- who do you hate the most.  Fair question I suppose..  I don't think I wanted to answer it.. so suggested a better question would be "who is your greatest enemy.."  who is stopping you from being what you want to be.. the answer:  "the devil..". OK, so as a Christian, we believe in redemption- what power does he really have.. none. Then the next candidate.  The current Politician of dislike.. my answer- too easy of a target.  They are too easy to find and blame- dime a dozen.

Finally the whole room agreed on who to hate, who to blame- along with "you have to love yourself here.."  heh

I'll be honest here.  Sometimes I can really hate myself.. 

22 hours ago, Ham said:

One of my grandkids came up with the question- who do you hate the most.  Fair question I suppose..  I don't think I wanted to answer it.. so suggested a better question would be "who is your greatest enemy.."  who is stopping you from being what you want to be.. the answer:  "the devil..". OK, so as a Christian, we believe in redemption- what power does he really have.. none. Then the next candidate.  The current Politician of dislike.. my answer- too easy of a target.  They are too easy to find and blame- dime a dozen.

Finally the whole room agreed on who to hate, who to blame- along with "you have to love yourself here.."  heh

I'll be honest here.  Sometimes I can really hate myself.

I cringed when I read your answers. Religious (not necessarily limited to fundamentalist) frameworks, the whole gamut of Christian and Muslim, and maybe Jewish (but I don't know enough about Jewish faith or traditions to say with any degree of certainty) engulf their followers, notably indoctrinating them from infancy as much as possible in adversarial mindsets.

Why does it have to be that way? Am I right when I posit that it may not have to be that way? IDK (I don't know).  

As to hating yourself sometimes, I would love to offer you comfort and encouragement. IOW, I hope it's possible for you to discard whatever in your mind causes such feelings or beliefs or thinking or whatever.

This may or may not be foundational truth, but it can be comforting and encouraging. 

Heh.  well.. video unavailable and removed by the uploader..

I don't practice self-loathing every day, just some days..

Maybe.. sometimes, it is the spirit of Christ..  does not really feel comfortable with our particular beliefs or practices.  I am willing to listen. 

I think that we find ourselves confronted with ourselves in Romans.  Wretched man..

even if we are redeemed.. we have to live with this from time to time.  Oh wretched man, but thank God..

What have I learned from what some call worldly wisdom- it is more logical to point the finger of blame to myself than to others.  I can sometimes control myself, but others.. no. 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:49 PM, Rocky said:

I cringed when I read your answers. Religious (not necessarily limited to fundamentalist) frameworks, the whole gamut of Christian and Muslim, and maybe Jewish (but I don't know enough about Jewish faith or traditions to say with any degree of certainty) engulf their followers, notably indoctrinating them from infancy as much as possible in adversarial mindsets.

Why does it have to be that way? Am I right when I posit that it may not have to be that way? IDK (I don't know).  

As to hating yourself sometimes, I would love to offer you comfort and encouragement. IOW, I hope it's possible for you to discard whatever in your mind causes such feelings or beliefs or thinking or whatever.

This may or may not be foundational truth, but it can be comforting and encouraging. 

Well, that's sad. The video was on practicing gratitude. Let's try it again. :love3:

Me too.

Every day I wake up.. generally renewed.

Rocky, I appreciate the message of thankfulness.  and gratitude.  With all of the fears of the world.. I generally come to the conclusion:  at the moment, I have everything and more than everything that I need. 

Glad that you would want to offer me some comfort.. heh.  I'll take it..

15 hours ago, Ham said:

Rocky, I appreciate the message of thankfulness.  and gratitude.  With all of the fears of the world.. I generally come to the conclusion:  at the moment, I have everything and more than everything that I need. 

Glad that you would want to offer me some comfort.. heh.  I'll take it..

:beer: