GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A La Pro:

Glad you had a good time! Thanks for the Greatr Big Sea songs that you sent me.

Tonight's Tom's Bedtime CD Pick Best of Foghat

No comments, I just like 'em! icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_cool.gif

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

OK,

First, about Chatty's comment on not knowing what's happening in the music world today.

Yes, I am always aware of this. I make it a point of listening to several different music stations in the car (soft rock/classical/jazz/rock n'roll/country). I play flick all the time and drive my poor children insane. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> That's where I heard Norah Jones.

Not much jumps out at me, but when it does I'm like a fly on fly paper icon_razz.gif:P--> stuck.

OK, Concert - It's not a big deal, but it sure was to me! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Like I said, I was a dancin' fool. You couldn't help yourself. It wasn't a big lightshow/musicianship appreciation night, but it was like this big hoedown. Get down and have some fun. Like a big 'kitchen party' they'd call it. It was when someone through a padded bra on stage and one the musicians picked it up and said "Jesus, Mary, Joseph..." that's when I split my gut laughing. Those Newfies sound just like Irishmen and just as crazy!

This music does something for me I think, because of my heritage. It's a french/irish thing. Yet, I know of many people with the same heritage who are not drawn to this music like I am and also those who do not have the heritage and are just as wild as I am about it. So, I don't really have an explanation...

Oh they also did this medley of rock and roll tunes. It was great.

Another thing I loved about the evening was the age of the audience. Ages were from 7 to 65 and older. Hard to tell. All ages were there, standing and dancing and singing. They had the audience singing many verses and they'd just play. It was cool icon_cool.gif!

You're welcome OAK, it was my pleasure!

Well, thanks for letting me share.

Merci,

'til the next time...

Well, this evening I was blessed by the kindness of a somewhat stranger.

I heard this song played this evening and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Someday Soon

There's a young man that I know, his age is twenty-one

Comes from down in southern Colorado

Just out of the service

And he's lookin' for his fun

Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon

My parents can not stand him 'cause he rides the rodeo

My father says that he will leave me cryin'

I would follow him right down the toughest road I know

And when he comes to call, my pa ain't got a good word to say

Guess it's 'cause he's just as wild in his younger days

So blow, you old Blue Northern, blow my love to me

He's drivin' in tonight from California

He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me

When he comes to call, my pa ain't got a word to say

Guess it's 'cause he's just as wild in his younger days

Blow, you old blue northern, blow my love to me

He's drivin' in tonight from California

He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me

Judy Collins

'til the next time...

Great tune, A la!

Well, I'm up wandering around and had to say hi to the music thread!

Saw Joe Satriani tonight at the Fillmore, San Francisco (CA.) Whew hooo! I love that guy. Has Jeff Bissonette on bass guitar, who did a fretless bass solo spot that was just off the charts. I thought I saw the spirit of Jaco Pastorius high fiving the sound man for a second. icon_smile.gif:)--> JB is a fine player

But Joe. He spanked the plank for over 2 hours and looked as fresh at the end as he did at the start. His playing has a real sense of humor, for a "metal" speedster shredder type of player. His harmonic sense is so refreshing, he goes from down-low heavy blues stuff to "outside" jazz melodies in the same song and really does just about everything you could do on and to a guitar. He's still doing the bald look, with the little sunglasses, so he's truly "surfing like an alien now." Great show. Had a guy open named Ned Evett who played a fretless glass/mirrored neck guitar in a really unique style. Joe came out and introduced him, very graciously set up the audience for him. For such an accomplished and well known artist, Joe was really down to earth, just really having a good time playing. Great show.

My daughter got the tickets as a Christmas gift for me. What could be better? We both went and had a great night. icon_smile.gif:)--> I didn't dance A la, so nobody got hurt. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I did a lot of hoo haing and clapping though.

-----------------------------

quack

Satriani!!???

Sounds like a great concert, and ya gotta love that fretless bass playin' icon_cool.gif

...and since you mentioned Jaco, this morning's Tom's Breakfast CD Pick is Jaco Pastorius' eponymous album.

Another sad loss to the music world when he bought it.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Ah, thanks Kathy! That's Satch alright! The Alien is in the house! icon_smile.gif:)--> Still buzzing from that concert!

Oaks, has to figure you'd be a Jaco fan! Great choice for bedtime. Here's another bio if you haven't seen it: "Jaco (the extraordinary and tragic life of Jaco Pastorius, the world's greatest bass player)" by Bill Milkowski. If that ain't a long title, don't know what is. Great book, though. Cool photos including a couple of his two sons, little guys.

-----------------------------

quack

Tonight's Tom's Bedtime CD Pick is a double, which includes both Blow By Blow and Wired by Jeff Beck.

With Blow By Blow Jeff finally figured out that a vocalist just detracted from his guitar playing. This album was very jazzy-funky and opened the door for me for fusion groups such as Weather Report and Return to Forever.

Wired had a cover of Mingus' Goodbye Pork Pie Hat which got me listening to Mingus and later Coltrane and other jazz greats. Musicians who played on Wired included Jan Hammer and Narada Michael Walden which widened my musical horizons even more.

These are arguably Beck's best offerings, although Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop is right up there icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Hello!

Well today I was reading on GS on the 'Normal' thread and it got me thinking about many many things. I was listening to some Jann Arden at the time and this song came up called Looking For It (Finding Heaven).

It really spoke to me. Especially the undoing I have to do at times with my Waybrain.

Enjoy!

Looking For It (Finding Heaven)

Written by - Jann Arden Richards & Robert Foster

I'll bite the hand that feeds the pain

I'll lay my life down for love

I lost the truth, I lost my way

But I am looking for it

Oh I am looking for it now

I am looking for it

Oh I am looking for myself

A savior sent to save the world

An angel has no armor

Now torn and bent, no wings unfurl

We are looking for it

Oh we are looking for it now

We are looking for it

We need to find but one thing good

And under every star (I'm finding Heaven)

In every breath of air (I'm finding Heaven)

In everything I have (I'm finding Heaven)

In everything I am...oh

The world is big, the world is bad

But I will find the beauty - I see a vision in my head

I am looking for it

Oh I am looking for it

I am looking for it - I am looking for it now

I am looking for it

Oh I am looking for it now

Thanks GS for helping me on my search and you wonderful GSer's who have spent time with me one on one. You are precious.

Chatty this is the best thread ever! icon_cool.gif

'til the next time...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a lot of posts! Music is spiritual. My mother listened to Beethovan, Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, and when I was in 3rd grade 1955 I loved Beethovan but was indifferent to all the rest. Then along came Elvis. When I first heard him, my mouth dropped open and my mother said "oh it's that horrible truck driver from Memphis, Elvis Presley!" SHOCK! My mother doesn't know everything! (And neither do any other authority figures!) Before Elvis, I read a book of Bible stories, cover to cover in about 3 days. It was thick too about 2-3 inches thick! I was hot for God! Very excited. But my local church didn't teach like that, and neither did my friends teach. So R&R became my religion. I thought Elvis was a new disciple, a new J.C. I was disappointed when I found out what he looked like. So anyway, I loved R&R, folk music, British invasion, acid rock, and then I got into the Way. WOW, a church like the 1st Century!! Though sometimes I was bored, confused, indifferent, skeptical, and sometimes blessed. I loved the Way Music. I got into the Word in Miami 1978, and there was a good group there- Sweet Freedom. Also Donnie Fugit, our branch leader was a musician himself and a big fan of R&R. He had a huge record collection! Melody Keesler was a good musician also, I still like listening to their tapes, their music stands whether or not I'm in the ministry. Joyful Noise, Pressed Down, all good music. I like the old hymns too - Garden Alone, Higher Ground, etc. Music alters your mood, and makes you feel like you are in contact with something bigger than yourself. My favorite album of all time is the Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" Love the jangly guitar, harmonies, variety of rhythms and messages on the album. Hm, Mr. Tam Man, a pied piper? Weel, maybe that's what attracted me to the Way.....

imablvr,

Thanks for your post, I had thought this thread had seen it's last days.

I agree music is spiritual and I have always been of the opinion many went to twi for just that....the music. And they were taken care of within those lyrics and the hearts of those on stage. I have heard stories of how a certain song touched a heart at their darkest hour. In fact I am one such person myself. One day sitting on the wall in front of Founders Hall I was in such pain and despair, the kind you have to hide away and keep to yourself. As I sat there I heard Trudy passing nearby and she was singing to herself that song the darker the night the brighter the light and it grabbed thru the night air and held my heart as if it were alive. Yes music is spiritual indeed.

I know that Ted and Socks will be thankful for your words as well as others who have loved the music of the way, regardless of what that group has done, the music stands as beautiful.

Thank you for your heart to post here.

Well since this thread has been ressurected sorta speak, I must contribute.

Yes, music is spiritual. I believe that. It can touch you and speak to your soul. Like the incident Chatty gave. It is Godly.

Music describes a time in history. Be it Mozart or Elvis or The Lennon Sisters or The Beatles or Louis Armstrong or or or. They all speak of a time. They all express the good, the bad and the ugly of human existence.

I often feel that through my journey in TWI, I was so often deprived of connecting with certain musics because it was maybe 'negative' or the musician was 'possessed' or that the musician had certain non-TWI beliefs. Give me a break!

Therefore, I know I shelved music or I stigmatized it because of my 'way' of thinking.

Not anymore. Sure there is certain music I don't enjoy and probably never will and that's ok, that's just taste. But, at least now, I feel free to listen to what my heart is drawn to and I do not feel I must stiffle my love for music anymore.

Nice post Imablvr.

Nice to see ya Chatty.

Geessh, didn't mean to sound so philisophical there. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

'til the next time...

• 2 weeks later...

Let The Beat Go On

Hi everbody looks as if this thread has seen better days and as of late I have not been posting much. My time does not allow me to do so since I have too many irons in the fire

It is time for me to head on down the highway for the next gig but before I leave I would like to thank you all for letting me share some of my life with you and for all of who have done the same.

Kathy thank you for starting this thread you have been a wonderful hostess and all of us do love you as for me you will always be an angel ha! ha!

I will leave my email addy on profile for a while if any of you would like to write me.

Time to close up shop now and sing my closing

song

Goodbyes Are Never Easy

So I'll Just Say So Long

The Time Has Come For Me To Sing

My Farewell Song

Perhaps We Wiil Meet Again

Somwhere Someday You And I

So Long Everbody

It's Too Hard To Say Goodbye

God Bless You and Love To All

Ted Ferrell

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on March 03, 2003 at 18:36.]

The Music Thread Lives Again

Tom's Bedtime CD Pick also lives again! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

...they got music in their solar system...let's go space truckin'...

Deep Purple's Boxed Set!!!!!

Tonight I'm listening to disc 2:

• Space Truckin'
  • Smoke On The Water
  • Highway Star
  • Fools
  • Never Before
  • When a Blind Man Cries
  • Pictures of Home

All cuts by Deep Purple mark II

• Ritchie Blackmore on guitar
  • Roger Glover on bass
  • Ian Gillan's vocals
  • Drummer Ian Paice
  • Jon Lord on keyboards

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Thank YOU icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Thank YOU icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Thank YOU icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Thank YOU for all the heart you shared, for sharing your life with us and for being a part of this wonderful music thread!

I pray you come back some day Ted. This music thread brought me together with some mighty wonderful people ~ this thread made that possible and I will always be thankful for that. icon_cool.gif

Music is a very strong art form that brings people together.

Here's a song for you Ted from one of my favourite singers.

ALISON KRAUSS

"I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers"

When the curtains of night are pinned back by the stars

And the beautiful moon sweeps the sky

Dewdrops from Heaven are kissing the rose

It's then that my memory flies

Well, upon the wings of a beautiful dove

I'll hasten this message of cheer

And I'll bring you a kiss of affection and say

I'll remember you love in my prayers

Now the angels of Heaven are guarding the good

As God has ordained them to do

In answer to prayers that I offer to Him

I know there's one waiting for you

Now go where you will upon land or on sea

And I'll share all your sorrows and cares

At night as I kneel by my bedside to pray

I'll remember you, love, in my prayers

Well at night as I kneel by my bedside to pray

I'll remember you, love, in my prayers

Merci.

'til the next time...

[This message was edited by A la prochaine on March 04, 2003 at 6:40.]

Any music you listen to is definitely going to have an effect on the listener. Just as any food you eat is going to effect the eater. Being aware that a certain song is devilish dosent mean it won't affect you in a bad way. Being aware a certain food is bad for you dosent mean it wont effect you negatively when you eat it. You are what you eat-garbage in-garbage out. That is why I mostly don't listen to secular music. It dosent help me keep my mind focused on God. In fact it tends to do just the opposite. Then again, there is a big difference between the early Beatles music like "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" or just about anyting by the Stones or Black Sabbath.

Chwester -

Music IS spiritual! It does not have to mention "God" to inspire the listener to think about God. Uplifted emotions can help one think not just of "God" but thankfulness, peace and other "Godly" emotions. Angry songs can unblock a person, help them be honest. The land is spiritual, "The hills are alive with the sound of Music". Yes they are. That is why there is different music in different locations. I guess I am like a transcendentalist (now). And of course "before" (in the Way) I was encouraged to be rigid. But before I was in the Way, I was a transcendentalist. Sometimes I felt confused and insecure, and that is one of the reasons I was attracted to the Way. Then I left the Way and sometimes felt confused, depressed, etc. That is all part of life and I am glad I left the Way, and I am also glad of this GS Cafe. Ex way people have a lot to talk about!

Yeah, let's us fur shore remember to not listen to any songs that might touch our lonliness, our emptiness, our funny bone, our naughtiness or our sensuality.

Let's us fur shore not look at any art that is disturbing, or erotic, or angry. It must fall in the category of the sacchrine crap found in your latest Watchtower.

Let's us fur shore not watch drama that doesn't start with "once upon a time" and end with "and so they lived happily ever after".

Such dreck might remind us that we are human. More powerless than we think. Groaning and travailing, waiting for our redemption. Subject to despair...taking comfort in company that has been there and/or will be there.

That gol' dang secular music and art and drama is for weaklings...for the human all too human. We must rise up as SOGWAPS and claim our ubermensch status. What power the church has if they only knew it!

Viva Wagner!...and...and...and...Norman Rockwell.