GreaseSpot Cafe

Greetings from Baghdad

oilfieldmedic

I wanted to take a moment and express my thanks to all that have been so supportive in the chat room.

You're generosity, care, concern & prayers are making this mess tolerable.

Some of you have offered to send me care packages, and although I am not destitute, there are things I miss.

Camel Filters (real ones with tobacco in them, not the rope, twigs and dust we have to smoke here)...

My mailing adress is:

John Hatzimichaels, Medic

Camp Hope D14

HHC 3/15 Inf BN

2UA 3rd Iinf Div

APO AE 09380

Again, your prayers, care and concern mean so much!

THANK YOU!

AKA Smokey

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello John!

We'd love to get a care package to you! Are the cigaretts allowed, or do we need to sneak them in? icon_cool.gif

Seeing as how we don't know you... could you let us in on what you like or don't like.

Our good friend is in Iraq doing electrical contracting work... he e-mailed saying they were enjoying some great food~ Lobster several times a week icon_smile.gif:)-->

Feel free to email me... maybe a shirt from Las Vegas (size?)... Snacks... magazine maybe... I don't mind buying cigarettes, haven't done that in 21 years... icon_razz.gif:P-->

Any favorite gum or candy?

We LOVE to shop & send packages!!!

Since he's in Iraq, it may be a while before he posts, but don't let that stop you from sending stuff!

As far as cigarettes - I'm sure hard pack vs. soft pack is not really that big a deal, as long as they are Camel Filters. Of course, he's in a war zone - which do you think would be the better to send? My guess would be hard pack.

I'm pretty sure that M & M's would be pretty welcome - they were actually developed for people in this type of situation.

I'm also pretty sure that if you were to send some hard candy that he could give away to local children, that that would be welcome too.

Other American things like toothpaste and toothbrushes, chocolate chip cookies, etc, help to brighten a military person's day.

OMedic, I hope you don't mind my posting in your stead.

Howdy folks...Server was down for a few days....Iraq...War Zone...go figure?

I just read all your thread and am a little overwhelmed, thank you all! AND God Bless you all!

Steve is right hard pack

Things have been quiet the last few days for us..no mortars, thank God

Lobster? H'mmmm, must have missed that meal, but the food is very good but high calorie...go figure again

KBR has not skimmped at all when it comes to the support, comfort, feeding of our troops and they appreciate it. Moral is good!

Believe it or not Watered Garden, I have more baby wipes here than I'll ever use...send them to Cindy & Steve...LOL

Thank you all again, and I am believeing that God blesses all your socks off!

John

Here's some tips for sending packges to a war zone.

Use the Flat Rate Box for Priority Mail. No matter what the weight you only pay $7.70. My postal clerk told me the record for our PO is some one mailing 45 pounds of nails they sold on eBay. They were impressed by this, I was curious as to why some one would buy 45 pounds of nails on eBay.

You will need a PS Form 2976-A, a Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note. It looks intimidating but you only need to fill out the From, To, Detailed Description of Contents (I make it general, i.e., snacks, micro food, personal hygiene). Then in the Quantity/Weight and value columns I just put various. The postal clerk will fill in the weight and you can fill in a total for the value.

Then check Airmail/Priority; Gift and Treat as Abandoned, date and sign.

I recommend you put everything in resealable plastic bags. They can use the bags to store things in. If you send something like lotion or shampoo it may explodes in transit. It won't make a mess if you put it in a plastic bag.

Also, you cannot send any aerosol items -- tend to blow up with all the pressure changes between here and there. So will things like chips or cookies that are vacuum sealed, so I would recommend double bagging them to help prevent a mess.

The temperature there is between 80-100 already. Chocolate won't make it. If they have access to a freezer, they would appreciate Otter Pops.

Also, if you send hygiene products with food the food will absorb the taste of the shampoo or air freshner. Consider sending them separately.

If you just want to send a letter and a pack of cigs use the Priority envelope. It will get there in 2-3 weeks, where the box will take 3-4.

Just a few things I've learned since sending packages for the past year.

And one other thing they would appreciate -- blank all occasion cards for them to send to their families for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.

Thanks Krysilis...good question!

A phone call runs about $0.35- $0.50/minute

That's what I'm paying and it depends also where in the country the soldiers are calling from...there are a few different exchanges in country here...but that is the average cost.

Thanks from all of us here!