GreaseSpot Cafe

Oregon loves me

Shellon

I've been in Oregon since yesterday afternoon and LOVE it. If I could afford to live here, I'd go home, pack and return. Maybe after I'm done with school.......hmmmm. Found a few jobs that I already qualify for. bigger hmmmmmm.

The plane ride for Kelly was amazing. The first flight, she hung onto the hurl bag for dear life for about 15 minutes. By the second flight she was hooked on flying. I got a little claustriphobic and caused a little stir, but I'll tell you about that another time. I have issues icon_biggrin.gif:D--> According to the flight attendant. They are still gonna let me fly their airline again tho, so no worry. HA!

What they say about the sea air is true; it's very healing. Amazing decisions being made and questions being understood. diggin this.

I miss you.

For the fun stuff, my brother and sister in law are spoiling Kelly and I rotten. We've been to the Portland Zoo and I got closer to a tiger than should be allowed ( it was an accident, I promise. I was pushed ). We went to the Aquarium and then to some amazing place where the fishing boats come in and we talked a man into letting us use his pole. You ever catch a starfish with your fishing pole? Major awesome! And the sea lion....ROFL that thing was wonderfully funny.

I walked around and talked to people. One guy was catching crabs and let me help him unload his trap. Another lady was preparing chum for the fishing boats to take out and I helped her with that. NASTY! icon_eek.gif

I met a man that was sitting at a table on the edge of the ocean writing his life story. He told me the jist of it over a cup of coffee he poured me from his thermos.

I have wept, I have laughed, I have eaten meals with a spectacular view of the ocean, I've met people that I have looked for my whole life.

On a sadder note, today we stopped at a beach park so Kelly could run and play.(well, that was a good thing) Just an hour before, a 7 year old child had drowned in the swimming area and they had not yet found his body. We stayed and waited with all the others as the officials dived and looked and waited. I had the opportunity to meet the little boys grandmother and hug her for a few minutes as she awaited the return of her grandbabies body. icon_frown.gif:(--> We stayed about 2 hours while Kelly played and left when she started to want to watch for the little boy too. She didn't need to see that, of course, so we moved on. The family is Korean and the grandmother spoke no english but I did manage to understand her say 'pray'.

I will pray for that family and know that some of you will too.

This vacation is only 2 days along and I can't even begin to tell you the things goin on in my heart. What is it about that? Getting away from home, differant surroundings, I dunno, but it's been good and the fallout is gonna be much better.

Sigh

Shell,

So good to hear from you! It's so good to hear you're having a wonderful time especially that part about "I have wept, I have laughed, I have eaten meals with a spectacular view of the ocean, I've met people that I have looked for my whole life."

Wow. That's so wonderful. Praise the Lord for beautiful weather for you also. Take care and we will pray for that family.

Thanks again for checking in.

WB

Suz and I just this moment have returned home from a weekend in Oregon. Always a beautiful place. We saw the "Spruce Goose" and just drove around a bit. Met some old ex-TWI friends headed for home.

We've often talked of relocating there. The worse traffic gets around here, the more sense it makes...

(So sorry to hear about the drowning. How terrible!)

Shellon, I'm glad my old home state is being good to you and that you're having such a spectacular vacation.

And there's more than the ocean! I still remmeber lying in the back of my dad & mom's car as a little girl, as we drove through the mountains, gazing up at nothing but huge pine trees that seemed to stretch to outer space and blue, blue skies. And there's desert, too, for a change of scenery, and lakes and rivers and.... Wow, I think I'm homesick after all these years.

We keep trying to get my dad to move out there. Mom's ready, my sister's ready. I'm ready. But Dad says, "Go ahead. I'll keep in touch by e-mail."

Hi there Shell and K! So good to hear you are having a wonderful time. I always thought it's very beautiful out there and along with the ocean.....sigh.

Am also happy for you getting a recharge! icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Can't wait to hear all about your adventures. love you T.

PS praying for the poor family and their lost kid.

Shelbert,

Oregon is my home state also. I love that place, and I hope to move back there some day! I LOVE Portland!!! It is an awesome city! I think it's big enough without being too big. And there's some something about the Pacific Northwest. It has a flare all it's own. I haven't lived there since 1996, but it was very affordable back then.

Overcast with occasional misting...

just how occasional is this misting?

anim-smile.gif

Shell I'm glad you are having a great time, sorry I fergot to say goodbye in chat the other night I hadda go really really bad n fergot...

Hope you n K are grooving and one word of advice...stay

icon_razz.gif:P-->

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon:

Herb: not staying, but I gotcha a present.

T: I have so much to tell you and am gonna need your help girlfriend.

Been here three days and not a drop of rain. It's a myth that it rains everyday according to those that actually live and know anything about Oregon. The weather has been stunning; cool and breezy. No bugs, no humidity.

Shhhhh!! It's a myth perpetuated by those that know how beautiful it is out there. Got to keep the riffraff out, ya know!

And your original post would seem to indicate that Portland is on the coast, when in fact it is a good hour's drive from the coast. I know, because I lived in Oregon for 5 years. I was WOW out there the same year OnionEater was.

Shell, my dearest chat buddy

Don't be deceived by the sunny Oregon weather! Trust me on this. I was wow there, and thought I would lose my mind when it rained every day for 2 months. Seriously, if you like sunshine, (or beaches and palms trees in my case) OR is not the best choice of habitats. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Listen to Steve!

For real, look at the Carribbean if you want low humidity and sunshine. Puerto Rico is really nice. icon_smile.gif:)-->

32 days with no rain here in Portland, and still going...90+ degrees today, and more of the same expected all week long! No tornados, no hurricanes, just the occasional ice storm in winter...some of the most beautiful scenery on earth, and you can drive from city to country in about 20 minutes no matter where you are!

Glad you are enjoying your vacation, Shell! I love the Oregon Coast - the absolute best place to relax, and rejuvenate, and recharge (even if it rains). Have a wonderful time, get some sand between your toes for me, and if you ever do decide to relocate let us know icon_cool.gif

Pot smokers? I was born and raised there (yes, I am a webfoot), and I don't think the pot-smoking population is any different than anywhere else in the country.

But the beauty of the Pacific Northwest is like nowhere else in my opinion. I really believe it is God's country. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->