GreaseSpot Cafe

Blanking out !!

Cowgirl

Well I saw the Dr, I know nothing as of right now, they did a whole series of blood work, so I'm going to head out for a run and see if it happens again and if it does, I'm to head back to the Dr's right away...........

Thanks for all your support and concern

Cowgirl

• 3 years later...
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this, today I was on a run in the woods, a trail I have done numerous times, I'm in the middle of it and my mind blanks out for about 5 seconds and I can't recognize where I am, I am like totally lost, then later as I get near the end of my run, I'm backtracking over the same trail and again my mind blanks out and I don't know where I am, I'm trying to find something recognizable to let me know I'm on the right trail, then in a matter of about 5 seconds, I know where I am again.<BR>Then coming home in my van, on a road I am so familiar with (traveled aleast a hundred times) the same thing happens again and I have no clue where I am, I can't recognize anything, then about 5 seconds later, I know where i am.......<BR>it's too weird! Anyone else experience that?<BR><BR>Cowgirl

a year or so ago i was in an extreamly stressful job situation and was pretty tensed up and went to talk but the words came out all out of order and there were some words that i couldnt even speak, this lasted for about 30 seconds and freaked a few people at work out , a few days later it happened again and that was it . i figured it was due to the situation i was in its never happened again. but what do i know maybe it was a stroke. a friend of mine had a stroke and heartattack about 3 years ago. he has 2 stents in arterys he pretty much recovered and still works on the airtanker airplanes that fight forrest fires. he was in the area for a few days and we went to eat out monday night and youd never know any of that happened.

Cowgirl I might suggest that you have a partner on your runs.

The advice to see a Doctor is good, but until your are diagnoised I would be careful with intense exercise until you are cleared for it

I wont go into your medical history, but I will say my sister had a TIA and she ended up having to quit smoking

It sounds like lack of Oxygen to your brain that caused the disorientation, seeing as how it happenned when you were running

But.....a Doctor should give you a full medical examination to rule out ...diabetes ( both high and low blood sugar can cause disorientation, do you know what you blood sugar is?) TIA this is common esp if you have a chemical imbalance such as smoking would cause, or caffiene, ( did you take any hihg caffeine "energy drinks"?)

I am curious to see what the doctor says about these episodes, and he simply shrugs his shoulders and says "I dont know" then plz go get a 2nd opinion

In any case plz use some safety precautions when you go out running, ....ex. have a cell phone on you, have a partner with you, run in a public place in a well lit area where there are police nearby who can react quickly if you have an episode that is more severe than your previous ones.

And to answer your question...YES I have had similar episodes to this but I have known disease processes going on.....diabetes, Heart Disease, taking blood pressure meds, that tend to cause little epidodes

You know,

taking a break from running- maybe a shorter, less exerting walk if you can't stop running-

might be in order until your doctor's determined EXACTLY what happened.

It could be one of MANY things. Some of them don't give you warnings, and that may have been your

LAST warning. As George Carlin said about his Dad's heart problems,

his Dad's FIRST sign that he had heart trouble was a trip to the cemetery.

Let's not let that be your NEXT sign of trouble.

Could be caused by medications, there's a lot out there including over the counter meds that can contribute to all sorts of stroke related problems. I have a 40 year old girl friend who was taking birth controll pills and suffered a stroke because of it. I'm glad you went to the doctor.

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this, today I was on a run in the woods, a trail I have done numerous times, I'm in the middle of it and my mind blanks out for about 5 seconds and I can't recognize where I am, I am like totally lost, then later as I get near the end of my run, I'm backtracking over the same trail and again my mind blanks out and I don't know where I am, I'm trying to find something recognizable to let me know I'm on the right trail, then in a matter of about 5 seconds, I know where I am again.<BR>Then coming home in my van, on a road I am so familiar with (traveled aleast a hundred times) the same thing happens again and I have no clue where I am, I can't recognize anything, then about 5 seconds later, I know where i am.......<BR>it's too weird! Anyone else experience that?<BR><BR>Cowgirl

Cowgirl, that has happened to me before. I wouldn't worry too much about it because of the 5 second thing. That's not very long. I just think sometimes, in my case, don't know about yours, that I suddenly notice something that I'd seen before but never noticed, e.g. was just thinking about something else all of the previous times I passed that part of the journey. But, then again, I'm a little bit ADD, not adult onset--been that way all of my life--and that may not apply to you.

Take care. I hope you got or will get your answer to your satisfaction and that it's nothing serious.

Edited by waterbuffalo