• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:
Originally posted by TED Ferrell:

Chatty K

You are amazing how you come up with all those pictures and the knowleege you have about all this suff is outstanding.

When I can sure enjoy reading all of you

God Bless

Ted F.

You are most kind, but heck you know how dumb I am about this stuff really don't ya? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Good to see ya my old friend. wave.gif:wave:-->

Ted,

Good to see your font popping in down here. We get a LOT! of folks who read this thread but never post. I try to please everyone as much as I can with what I post and most of us are 50-ish. You have a few years on us so I'll have go go back a wee bit further, huh?

Here's one that was a hit in 1954 so I'm sure you'll remember it fondly. Most of us have heard the song though we might not know who the young lady was doing the singing. And I've got to say... this song is probably as bad as it gets when it comes to matching music to lyrics.

Hear that lively happy music complete with honky tonk piano in the background?? Really makes you want to dance a gig and twirl the fingers in the air, huh? Then listen to the lyrics which are dark and foreboding. It's about happier times long gone and impending death. But hey.. it was sure a hit in 1954. Click HERE!~ and tell me if you remember the song being that somber. Does everyone else know the singer??

We were discussing Telnet, the Tornadoes and the Ventures? The song I posted was the Ventures' version of the song which came out later than the Tornadoes'. If anyone can find the Tornadoes' version then e-mail it to me (dbdbdb@midsouth.rr.com) and I'll post that one too.

I have reason to believe that the next song I'm posting will be well known to this geriatric crowd icon_cool.gif. It came out when I was 12 years old and I just loved it. I tried and tried to play it by ear on the piano (I had a full year of piano lessions under my belt, too icon_biggrin.gif:D-->) but couldn't get it. I could tell it was in a minor key but I kept trying to play arpeggios instead of a straight minor scale which is what it actually was.

When I picked up one of those piano books with simplified popular songs and saw how it was done, I wanted to slap myself.. of COURSE!!! Click HERE!~ and see if you know the song and who did it. Kathy... you might be a tad young wink2.gif;)-->.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. I've been hanging out by the pool having the servants make up Margaritas with crab and shrimp appetizers. Or... maybe... I've just been hanging out in the kitchen doing dishes and listening for the dryer when it goes off. And... since we don't have a pool.. and no servants.. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

sudo (waiting for Godot... or Arlene.. whoever comes first)

George,

Are you Google-ing?? Yeah, that's how Pirate does it!! Nobody could be that good. But you??? I'm shocked!! icon_eek.gif ...... wink2.gif;)-->

What about the other song?? Are you old enough to remember it?? Big hit in the 60's.. about the time that Telstar came out.. here it is again.. click HERE!

sudo

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks the words to This 'Ole House and the music are incongrous?? Click HERE! to hear it again.

Sometimes I "google." That's why I didn't give this one away. If that's how Pirate got it, then shame, SHAME!! He might have known, however. It's not as if no one's heard of rosemary Clooney!

Your other clip is easily recognizable. "Perambulate, don't sprint."

George

quote:
Are you Google-ing?? Yeah, that's how Pirate does it!! Nobody could be that good. But you??? I'm shocked!! ......

Well, I never!!

If I Google it, I'll admit it. If I don't know the answer, I'll usually just not post anything.

I didn't really know that was Rosemary Clooney, but when George said it wasn't Dinah Shore, I just threw out another female singer from the 50s. If it hadn't been her, I'd have gone with Patti Page next. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I admitted I'd never heard of The Tornados, now didn't I?

I remember spending HOURS working out the guitar part in Walk, Don't Run. That was when I was first learning to play. I look back on that now and, it's such an easy riff, I can't believe how long it took me to get it right. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Now, This Old House. I knew that song because when I was a kid, I had some old .78's that belonged to one of my uncles. And This Old House by Rosemary Clooney was one of them.

Rick

What??? You didn't learn House of The Rising SUN??? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I used to practice in a local park. One thing (of many) that really annoyed me was when people would come up to me and ask if I knew any Led Zeppelin. Now mind you, I was playing an acoustic guitar. The other was the assumption was that Jimmy Paige was the ONLY reason to pick up a guitar.

I learned a LOT of Zepplin on an acoustic. A 12 string at that. (It was the only guitar I had at the time). Of course, Black Dog and Rock and Roll didn't QUITE sound right. icon_smile.gif:)--> But Over the Hill and Far Away sounded pretty cool!

ROCKY RACOON is one I learned at an early age. I also learned how to play Blackbird. That's one of those really cool songs that, after you figure it out, it's really easy to play but impresses the heck out of people. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick