The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom, the basics about the links given is first guess with a cryptic clue so as not to give it away yet communicate to the link provider you know who it is. It makes it fun for both sides. In time the provider or someone else will give the answer, it's easy to know when it's time.

but what if I "don't know" and am just guessing (as is the case here)... am I supposed to not guess but ask something like "was it a movie about a gangster starring Marlon Brando?" or "was it a satirical comedy about a gangster starring Michael Keaton?" instead of saying the names? ...so that whoever gave the clue will have to guess what I'm guessing?

but what if I "don't know" and am just guessing (as is the case here)... am I supposed to not guess but ask something like "was it a movie about a gangster starring Marlon Brando?" or "was it a satirical comedy about a gangster starring Michael Keaton?" instead of saying the names? ...so that whoever gave the clue will have to guess what I'm guessing?

Good question.

You would not alter the movie, etc by changing the mood of the characters as you did in the second one. Since that movie wouldn't fall into a satirical comedy. You might guess at some point the name of the star but even that you'll notice folks use cryptic means just for the fun of it.

That question of yours "was is it a movie about a gangster starring Marlo Brando?" is a straight forward description of the movie short of saying the name so that wouldn't fall into cryptic. The fun comes when we take as long as we can to come to the answer just so we can have fun coming up with clues ourselves.

Thanks for giving me a perfect example of what we would try to not say right off the bat or no one would be left to guess it.

Okay, I have to go now but this just made my stomach jump. I had been playing in Google search engine earlier when looking for something for birthday posting and saw my user name come up un-expectantly. So I just put ChattyKathy in and this came up on the first page. Thus answering my question as to what Google was doing in the Control center for some of us (remember I had mentioned this along with Moon Girl not long ago). I couldn't understand how it could be in our Profile area for one (now answered visually below) and still can't understand how it could be sending a private message which I saw more than once. Maybe one day that mystery will be solved as well.

I do think I need to do something now besides follow clues. :redface:

Viewing Profile

Profile Options V. Viewing Profile: ChattyKathy. ChattyKathy. Now what to put here?

* * * * * * * * * * * * *. Joined: 3-July 02 ...

www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showuser=301 - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Good morning all!

Just finished 2 miles. I got to get back into shape (and not the one that I'm in right now) for you know who.

Sorry I have no clue as to the clues. :confused:

Kathy, I did that google thing with mine and I came up with a whole lot from gsc to gas buddy.com. Give my sweetie a hug for me when you go over there. :wave:

Good question.

You would not alter the movie, etc by changing the mood of the characters as you did in the second one. Since that movie wouldn't fall into a satirical comedy. You might guess at some point the name of the star but even that you'll notice folks use cryptic means just for the fun of it.

That question of yours "was is it a movie about a gangster starring Marlo Brando?" is a straight forward description of the movie short of saying the name so that wouldn't fall into cryptic. The fun comes when we take as long as we can to come to the answer just so we can have fun coming up with clues ourselves.

Thanks for giving me a perfect example of what we would try to not say right off the bat or no one would be left to guess it.

I think Tom confuses this thread with "Movie Pictionary" where one is SUPPOSED to guess the answer, but where he hints around until someone else gets it! Of course, he COULD just be a slacker who doesn't want to post new puzzles!

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Good morning all!

Just finished 2 miles. I got to get back into shape (and not the one that I'm in right now) for you know who.

Sorry I have no clue as to the clues. :confused:

Kathy, I did that google thing with mine and I came up with a whole lot from gsc to gas buddy.com. Give my sweetie a hug for me when you go over there. :wave:

I will. :)

And those two chairs will fit in my car or I'll strap them on top one. Beverly Hillbilly style and all! Also I reckon I'll give him back his extra set of house and car keys now. :biglaugh:

I think Tom confuses this thread with "Movie Pictionary" where one is SUPPOSED to guess the answer, but where he hints around until someone else gets it! Of course, he COULD just be a slacker who doesn't want to post new puzzles!

George

:biglaugh: Cute post SaintGeorge!

Ohh.. A favorite I see!

And for the final clip I have that isn't the out-and-out theme song... click HERE! And Tom, you pictionary whizes should be GOOD at being cryptic. I love topoftheworld's answer: "Leave the gun...take the canolle." I'd a' said something like, "I know that movie but couldn't take the time to watch it all so I could spend time with my family.. because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."

sudo

Just learned that Buck Owens died today. R.I.P. Buck!

I used to watch Hee Haw every week...loved Buck Ownes and the Buckarooos. Sorry to see him pass.

Rick

Rick,

I thought this was cool and knew you'd enjoy:

They also, eventually, began to play some rock 'n' roll. Early in his time at the Blackboard, Owens switched to a newfangled instrument produced by the Leo Fender company -- a solid-body electric guitar called a Telecaster, whose bright, twangy sound was better suited to the louder style coming into fashion than the hollow-body electric jazz guitars, made by Gretsch and Gibson. Developing a distinctive, aggressive and trebly attack to his playing style, Owens earned a reputation as one of the best pickers around, and he was able to supplement his $12.50-a-night income by driving two hours over the hills to Hollywood for session work at Capitol Records -- three hours of playing for more than $40.

Kathy,

I don't know the first one... and you thought that was going to be a no-brainer, huh? But the second one? I USED to watch it on Sunday nights but quit. I'm thinking there was a time conflict with something else but I'm not sure. Good show, though. Who wouldn't be proud to have attended Tom Landry high school?

sudo

Actually I worded myself poorly. I meant the first one I called no brainer television for late at night to unwind on occasion. I doubt you ever would have watched it. It is not even a subject I would have watched but one night it caught my eye and watched it ever since. There was a dingy thing going on in it but I found it to be delightful for some reason.

Getting back to what I had been posting..

Yes, all you wiseguys out there.. it was Da' Godfather. One of the best movies ever made, IMO. Here's the full theme (click HERE!) but time to move on, huh? This next one was a favorite of my kids.. and my nieces and nephews when they came over to visit. We'd bought the video (VHS of course) after it came out. Here's the theme song click HERE! and if you need some help.. here's the ending song.. click HERE!

Yeah, the little ones used to really groove to the opening thme song.

sudo