Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SaintGeorge,

My response to such things have changed since leaving twi, which helped formulate a good deal of what I considered other churches to be. For me I have been freed of much wrong teaching by twi, but have done so due to replacing it with what really was the doctrine or practice being believed and carried out within some of these religions we were subjected to Craig and VP's opinions on. I state opinion for a purpose. It lacks authority other than what is stated.

So in that light I do not respond to anything exactly the way I did when it comes to spiritual matters. If I do, I try to back track my thought process and see what I would have thought had I just did it on face value and not retained response button.

I do not presume that you only learned those two points from twi, but as for me I did. And I can assure you from study I have put into myself, they were out to lunch! I did not say anything more regarding those two points, merely that they had no idea of what they spoke of. In fact had they just done what I regret I had not done and read the bible for what it is and not for what I can fit into this administration for this day and time and yada yada until it spills out of your ears it is so repetitive in nature with that group.

How thankful I am to not be a part of them anymore than I allow myself to be by speaking now. Obviously I still have some on them in my blood or it would not boil so on occasion when something is stirred up within it.

This was way to serious for our subject matter here so I hope we can read me and get on with the business of fun (after due respect and consideration be given the one I am speaking to of course, how rude not to allow that).

(edits..rats!)

Edited by ChattyKathy

Kathy, you're making my day. Loved all these shows-even though TWI regiment prevented me from seeing as many as I would have wanted.

Wonder if Showtime ever released "Paper Chase" on DVD? I should check.

On your as yet unnamed clue-seems to me it ended with a then infamous butt shot. And also starred a future Oscar winning, sexy mega star.

Really, it had a butt shot. I don't remember that :) but Howie Mandel and Helen Hunt were both real young in this series. It had many actors and a couple of them David Kelley used in some of his shows.

(me and edits, I reckon we're joined at the hip)

Edited by ChattyKathy

"__. _____________ had shown the naked backside of a doctor (Ed Flanders) who'd dropped his trousers in front of his supervisor (Ronny Cox) before leaving the ________ and the show." (From IMBD)

It was a priceless moment.

Did you know that in the final show, they killed the MTM cat? Very sad.

The Oscar winner I'm thinking of played a character named Phillip Chandler. And, yes, Howie was very young-as were we all. :biglaugh:

Hey guys,

Are we all old coots around here or is it just me? I played this (Click HERE!) for one of staff today and she didn't know the voice. She had heard of the TV series but had no idea who was doing the "singing"... Hee-hee! But then.. she's only 33 years old. So what does that make me?? Ancient?

Tell 'ya the truth, I'm not sure where that clip came from.. sounds like one of those albums TV actors would put out hoping fans would buy on strenght that they loved the series. But since we have to answer questions here, 1) Anybody NOT know the speaker's name? That would date you pretty good. And 2) Where the heck did THIS thing come from anyways??

sudo

The voice is obviously the head of the Cartwright clan.

I don't know where that recording is from, but promotional records of that type were common back then, especially westerns. My guess is that is was made early on in the series, around 1959, as he sings the soon to be lost to the ages words to that familiar theme.

The words were never used on the TV show, (unless the song was snuck into an episode somewhere),but it was generally known that words did exist, which means this record probably got some airplay for a time.

I liked that show until Pernell Roberts (Adam) left. Not only was he my favorite one for reasons I can't remember except I thought he was the coolest, but the chemistry of the Cartwrights didn't seem balanced afterwards. I never got used to seeing 3 riding towards the screen , rather than 4.

Also, back then if a character left a series he ceased to exist.It was as if he were never there. I had major problems with that as a kid, with this show and others that did the same thing.

Sudo,

That was funny. :)

TOTW,

Do you ever get tired or does your avatar rest when you log off? :biglaugh:

I think you were the only one to know it. St Elsewhere!

Sudo,

I have no idea the singer but I think the speaker had something to do with what he was talking about.

Hiwayman,

I hated when someone left with no explanation and as you said never to be mentioned again. It was lousy writing IMHO.

SaintGeorge,

William Shatner was the only difficult part of watching Star Trek for me. Now Jean-Luc Picard.

I don't believe I've heard that theme in full.

George, you're right that there are words to the Star Trek theme.

For accuracy's sake I have to tell you that 'Beyond Antares' isn't it, however.

Nichelle Nichols sang 'Beyond Antares', on the first season trek episode-"The Conscience of the King" She sang it in the rec room over the intercom to Ensign Riley, who was on duty in the bowels of the ship to protect him from a murderer.

While the song is similar to the Star Trek theme, it clearly is a different melodybut perhaps the similarities have led some to equate the 2.

I have heard that the Star Trek theme does have words, but I haven't seen them.

Well, Andy, you can't say THAT again. :biglaugh: .

Beyond the rim of the star-light.

My love is wand'ring in star-flight

I know he'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love, strange love a star woman teaches.

I know his journey ends never

His star trek will go on forever.

But tell him while he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me.

Remember, remember me.

Gene Roddenberry wrote lyrics for the theme song in order to secure a partial writer's credit for the song. These lyrics were never recorded as part of the original theme song, and were thus never aired. However, the lyrics have been printed in several "TV Theme" songbooks over the years. Roddenberry's lyrics have also been included in recordings of the Star Trek theme by other artists, including the rock band Tenacious D, lounge band Love Jones, and Star Trek actress Nichelle Nichols.

From http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:...Original_Series

Edited by Sushi

Kathy,

Sure you had to. That's pure nostalgia even if we all recognize it. You'd be surprised at folks who DON'T recognize it right off but say things like, "It sure sounds familiar". But those folks don't post here much. That series stands the test of time for me. I can watch an episode now and even though I'm seeing the cheesy special effects that I didn't notice back then, I still ENJOY watching it.

sudo

I enjoy the older ones although they had a couple I didn't care for. My only shudder of a thing was Shatner in his way over the top for that arena acting and the fact he had to have been the biggest space (fill the blank) there was, talk about a woman in every port. And he did nothing for me. :biglaugh:

Edited by ChattyKathy

Out of the 79 episodes from the original series, I would choose 10-15 that I still think are just great,25 or so that i can still watch and enjoy, and alot of episodes that are dumb, boring, and just lazy in the writing and loss of focus. Most of the latter are from the fatal 3rd season, a fair number from the second season, and a few clunkers from the first.

Still, any TV series that I can watch 40 or more episodes , almost 40 (!!!) years later , even after multiple(and I mean multiple) viewings, is a ok with me.