GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Kathy, Re:"How do you take this horrible heat?" Oh, fiddle-dee-dee, honey child! Don't you know anything at ALL about fine paper fans so as you don't faint? Just listen to two who know about such Southern ways. Summertime.. and the living is easy. Click HERE! and titillate us with clues as to who these two very famous artists could be? The male is easier.
sudo (just a fanning hisveryownself)
Sudo,I crashed while the sun was still up last night, totally not me. And I didn't even peek in here during the night when I awoke. :unsure: That California dreamer nailed it best I could tell ya. And BEAUTIFUL it is. I love this version. What a voice she had, geez. And then he is just legendary (well she is too I reckon). Thank you! A quality piece there my friend.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is one of my fathers favorite. Which when I was younger had to learn and play for him on the organ.

Later I found a karokee version and would sing it to him from time to time. I like this arrangement. She swings.Her scatting is great.

Thanks for sharing this George

Rick,

I'm trying to get your attention.. here's some of what you requested.. Porgy and Bess stuff. I've even got the Buzzard Song but first.. you've gots to take a stab at who did these versions. Click 1) HERE! and 2) HERE! and 3) HERE! A very diverse group doing a Porgy and Bess number.

The 2nd one is by a Rock and Roll outfit and the 3rd one is by an American Communist. That's all the hints for now. :)

sudo

All wonderful versions, though I can't place any of the voices. The last might be William Warfield, but I don't know about his being a Communist.

I'm disappointed that none of the versions included my favorite verse:

Methuselah lived 900 years.

Methuselah lived 900 years.

But who calls that livin'

When no gal would give in

To no man what's 900 years. :wink2:

George

George,

It wasn't a complete give-away.. it didn't say Mary Tyler Moore anyplace. I guess you could have Googled the lyrics. I remember thinking that Mary was just starting to show her age here. She wasn't quite the fox she was on the Dick Van Dyke show. Anyone else remember it that way?

sudo

Tops,

Great pics as examples! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed. Funny thing is that back when the Dick Van Dyke show was running I didn't think about MTM being so foxy.. I was in elementary school at the time and she was just another grown up to me. It was in the re-runs that I, uh, saw things in a different light. She always wore those tight fitting slacks too when all the other TV moms were wearing dowdy dresses. Ummmm..

Wanna' feel old?? She turns 70 years old in December.

sudo

I must point out that the pic of MTM from her own series was taken late in it's run, so it was over 10 years later, not 4.

In the first season of her own show, she looked much like she did on the Dick Van Dyke show, but with longer, fuller, hair.

Funny, she was every young boys dream when DVD was on in my neighborhood, with her good looks, tight pants, and personality.

Also, the earlier picture was a posed photographers shot, designed to look great, while the latter picture is a screen capture from an episode. A world of difference.