i don't have a husband

he don't play the trombone

and i need to borrow money

to pay this lawyer

and charlie, hey

i'll be eligible for parole

come valentines day

:blink: Interesting lyrics. :unsure:

"I won't be able to reply possibly but is that Tom Waits? And if so you like him a lot don't you?"

Ding, Ding, Ding, Kathy is our winner. :biglaugh:

Well, sort of. I have the one album, Nighthawks At The Diner, which I think is of the greatest. Especially for it being a 'live' album.

I've heard some of his other stuff, but would have to say I was underwhelmed. Although, that cut was from the Blue Valentine cd.

Edited by Sushi

Sushi,

I had never heard it before either and believe me I can understand why they call it the "blues". If you aren't depressed before listening to the song.. you will be afterwards. Places our little troubles in perspective.

sudo

"I won't be able to reply possibly but is that Tom Waits? And if so you like him a lot don't you?"

Ding, Ding, Ding, Kathy is our winner. :biglaugh:

Well, sort of. I have the one album, Nighthawks At The Diner, which I think is of the greatest. Especially for it being a 'live' album.

I've heard some of his other stuff, but would have to say I was underwhelmed. Although, that cut was from the Blue Valentine cd.

Interesting how that happens with an artist you like, where you don't like it all. Happens to me all the time. I can't stand a couple of Mark Knopfler's things. hahaha

I liked that, I may have to get that CD. :)

Sushi,

I had never heard it before either and believe me I can understand why they call it the "blues". If you aren't depressed before listening to the song.. you will be afterwards. Places our little troubles in perspective.

<center>sudo</center>

It works for me because of it being real life. Sometimes the best comfort I get is knowing stuff just happens in real life.

One thing which would ALWAYS annoy my ex wife (one of many reasons we're not married anymore :biglaugh:), is one of my frequent sayings. By frequent I mean at LEAST once a day. If someone asked me how I was, I would say, "Could be worse".

A variation on this is, "Just remember, nothing can be so bad, that it can't be WORSE".

Or, "Murphy was an optimist".

I don't understand it in our country. People kvetch about the stupidest things. And, I'll admit, I'm right there at times too. But ya know, for the most part, we aren't getting shot at. A lot of us have enough to eat. We can afford cars. (stream of consciousness ends here)

(see Kathy, I even took the top of the page for you :biglaugh:

Edited by Sushi

I do thank you for taking the top of the page. It bugs me for some reason. :( :)

I think there is common sense to that approach. You're not talking doomsday. Or negative for negative's sake. Just real life that happens every day. I love blues for that reason. I am totally comforted by it for that reason. (I know I said that before but it says it I reckon)

We have so much to be thankful for here, so very much.

Sudo,

I think I have seen it but I didn't watch it. :) And agree hiwayman will probably know it.

I swear I asked them to try and block my phone so I can't dial 911. :redface2:

But this time the police didn't come. The receptionist called me to see if I called them. :redface2:

I seem to be building a reputation for this. :redface:

Yeah, I do know the cartoon. It was from the early 60's -part of what was the 'King Features' trilogy of cartoons that were based on King Feature syndicate newspaper comic strips.

Beetle Bailey, and Krazy Kat were the other 2 cartoons .

Since I'm out of town for the next couple days, and I'm not sure anyone will get it , I'll reveal that the theme is from 'Snuffy Smith', a hillbilly comic strip turned cartoon.

Actually the comic strip it was derived from was 'Barney Google', an extremely popular strip back in the '20's and 30's. Snuffy was a minor character that eventually squeezed Barney Google into the background in his own strip, and claimed the starring role in the cartoon.

Snuffy, his wife Louisee, their horse Sparkplug, a son who's name escapes me, and even ol' Barney Google, starred in these 6 minute shorts.

Not a bad cartoon, not a very good one either. I enjoyed all 3 as a lad, with my favorite being Beetle Bailey.

Been years since I heard that song. Thanks for the nostalgia tug, Kathy.

Barney Google's face is immortalized in the Polk County, Iowa courthouse (in Des Moines). Sometime between 1901 and 1906, an artist chiseling grotesques on the walls near the ceilings carved Barney Google's face as a gag. His boss was not impressed and ordered him to add some vines around his head and to call him a "Grecian God." The face is clearly Barney Google, and this story was reported in the Des Moines Register in 2005.

Yup, hiwayman you guessed it. And you're welcome.

Rick,

Re:"Trivia time...the Tornados were the first British group to have a record hit number one on the charts."

And THAT song (click HERE!) was the answer to your trivia question back last week. So NOW the trivia question is.. what is it??

Kathy.. I remember when 'Tater was added to the strip. I could be WAY off but I'm thinking it was when I was in high school in the late 60's. My how different comic strips take different tacks. Arlo and Janis are being aged with their son now already grown and almost never in the strip anymore. Blondie still has Dagwood in bowtie and 1920's clothes but he gets on the computer and has a cell phone. But their kids are frozen in time to their teenage years after seeing them grow up from babies. The Family circus has the family frozen in time when all the kids were under 10 years old.

sudo