GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

OK, here is a trivia question. I really can't remember. What old sitcom had a character who used the expression "Great Ceaser's Ghost" a lot?

Oh, and I'm a Believer was an Anthem for the drug culture? I was heavy in to the drug culture and most people I know kinda made fun of the Monkees. Of course, my druggie years didn't start till about 1974.

Rick

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if you could call the show with 'Great Caeser's Ghost" a sitcom , necessarily. Though by it's 3rd or 4th year it was certainly oriented to kids. The first year was actually a pretty violent, serious show based on the 'film noir' stylings of 40's gangster films.

"I'm a Believer' was only a drug anthem in the mind of the dude who wrote 'The Marxist Minstrels'.

The Monkees were made fun of for various reasons, but I still like a fair number of their songs, which is more than I can say for some more 'respected' groups.

Rick,

Hiway29 is right.. It wasn't a sitcom. It was, though, my favorite TV show of the 50's. The star of the series didn't live to a ripe old age and even appeared in character in a I Love Lucy episode. And no.. I'm not talking about Harpo.

sudo

Are we allowed to give the answer? (remembers when he was scolded)

I never even thought of "I'm a Believer" having anything to do with drugs... especially coming from Neil Diamond. A lot of the Monkees songs were written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart weren't they? At least the popular ones like "Last Train to Clarksville"...

Rick,

Stop or your eyes will get fixed (or is that broken). :rolleyes:

My Mom always told me "they'd get stuck like that".

It's Superman....oops too late.

Speaking of which, the first 4 seasons are now out on dvd, remastered and looking good. I would highly recommend the first b&w season, when the world and George Reeves was young.

They didn't know they were making a children's show that year. They play like a good 40's b movie gangster type film, with the Superman character taking a back seat to George Reeves no nonsense Clark Kent. It also features my personal favorite Lois Lane, Phyllis Coates. Some fairly violent, mature themes.

I just picked up seasons 3 and 4, in color. Even tho it was a different show by then, kid friendly, and sponsor Kellog's cereal friendly, it's still entertaining as heck, thanks mainly to the charm of the actors.

There's a movie coming out soon, about the life and death of George Reeves, and whether it was a suicide or murder. I've read books and articles on it, and like to believe it wasn't in him to kill himself, but it's still a mystery.

George,

I bought into the music thing. I sold about 700 primo albums including many first editions partially to pay for the advanced class in 75.

I have since rebuilt much of my collection.

A few trivia Monkees factoids.

The first two albums that were made had studio musicians playing almost all of the instruments, not the monkees.

More Of The Monkees was the band's most successful album, becoming the third best-selling LP of the '60s

What famous musician almost became a Monkee?

What item was invented by a Monkee Mom?

Edited by pawtucket

What famous musician almost became a Monkee?

oooh oooh mista kotta!!! I know the answer to that one...

later on he wrote a song that opened up something like this:

There's somethin' happenin' here; what it is ain't exactly clear

There's a man with a gun over there tellin' me I got to beware

Think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's goin' down...

I had a 'collection' of about 400 albums, I don't know if they were necessarily worth anything but they all were first releases. My sainted Mother sold most all of them at a yard sale when I was out WOW... somehow my 'marble' Dave Mason 'Alone Together' foldout album survived... but not my clear, colored Nazz album... oh well...

Dave Mason, got quite a few of his still, we collect vinyl and have mucho!!!!!