The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gumby-as I'm writing this I'm looking at the Gumby figurine on my desk, signed by his creator, Art Clokey.It has special meaning for me, tho I'm not that big a gumby fan. Oh-I just remembered, I also drew a few Gumby comic books back in the 80's!

The funniest Gumby ever had to be Eddie Murphy, dressing as him on Saturday Night Live.

As far as stopping the pigeon-it's safe to say that if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Moon Girl, I missed a question, oops. :redface:

Hiwayman, there was something cool about Yankee Doodle Pigeon. The whole idea of sending messages like that caught my attention as a child.

And Gumby, well I don't think it was quality (imho) so much as it was visually new to our eyes and that itself was cool. But then I was 4 when it aired so I doubt I remember a thing. :unsure:

Coke inside coke was legal once to. :unsure:

you didn't miss a question. the item invented by Woolhat's mom was white-out.

oh yeah, Gumby was weak-but distinctive. Art Clokey also did those 'Davey and Goliath' religious puppetoons.

Cool, I thought they were all answered at one time I reckon. :)

Distinctive, good way of describing Gumby.

'Davey and Goliath' was about as well done as Gumby,only with 'human' puppets and settings.

The dog Goliath's voice-so accurately referred to in the above post, was particularly grating.

Each 15 minute cartoon taught a 'lesson'. about God, not unlike 'Sunday school', with Davey learning about God in real life situations the hard way.

As corny as it was, there was one extended episode that genuinely moved me as a child. It was an Easter 'special'. The first part shows Davey spending a great day with his grandmother, and making plans for the next week. His grandmother dies before he sees her again and he is understandably angry and bitter.

Of course this led to Davey learning about Jesus and the ressurection. I think I got the point more than any other teaching .

Yesterday I was in a store picking up a present for my brother in law's birthday. During my search, I got more for me than for him. ;)

I picked up the Pink Floyd concert film, Pulse.

And saw this gem of an album that I haven't listened to in years. This band released their first album in 1971 with some famous musicians sitting in on the sessions.

Here is one of my favorite cuts from this fine album.

clickhere

They also did Panama Red and Take a Letter Maria

Good Music

TalkingDoll: I never even bought any of their stuff, though I listened to it now and then on the radio... it wasn't as though I ever really gave them a chance though because since Grateful Dead music always lulled me to sleep I 'passed the same judgement' on to them...

...and I'm not leaving... :biglaugh: ...although I do feel like a short nap is in the offing...

you are leaving because you don't like NRPS?

Nah, I was just leaving cause I didn't have anything to say. Which is odd but seems to be me right now. :blink:

I do like some of their stuff, just not that linked song. :)

TalkingDoll: I never even bought any of their stuff, though I listened to it now and then on the radio... it wasn't as though I ever really gave them a chance though because since Grateful Dead music always lulled me to sleep I 'passed the same judgement' on to them...

...and I'm not leaving... :biglaugh: ...although I do feel like a short nap is in the offing...

He was talking to me cutie. :)

Well actually the band has roots in all kinds of things even touching Janice Joplin so they have a richness in that alone. I just don't like everything they do, kind of like I don't like everything Clapton does.