GreaseSpot Cafe

Jim Doop, The Way West and VPW

Jim

Share something with a grown up that's gotten to that point and they'll tell you "Been there, done that kid. You are doing it all wrong."

they've given up

Not all of us.

:)

The only "suggestion" I have had for some.. and only when asked.. don't waste YOUR power on a second rate cult..

make em COMPETE for it, for crying out loud..

:biglaugh:

Maybe that was the *problem* with the baby boomers.. so many of us, so few places to go..

any port in a storm..

Not all of us.

The only "suggestion" I have had for some.. and only when asked.. don't waste YOUR power on a second rate cult..

make em COMPETE for it, for crying out loud..

Maybe that was the *problem* with the baby boomers.. so many of us, so few places to go..

any port in a storm..

As you said Ham, "Not all of us."

Personally, I wan't willing to settle for any port in my storm. I had tried all the ports I knew about - except asking God. Then I read (in a book called Zen Sayings and the Riddles of Jesus, Ask and you shall receive. That struck me as truth. I didn't know what he had, but I asked him to deliver me from my storm - actually, I asked him to get me off the side of the cliff because the branch I was holding on to was breaking. I told him I didn't know what he had, but whatever it was I wanted all of it, & I wanted it quick. And I also wanted him to get my a$$ off heroin. Shortly thereafter, I was witnessed to, & got everything I has asked for.

The road down has been pretty well documented in this thread, but many of us weren't settling for any port. We didn't SETTLE. Well, until later - but, as I said, that's already been fairly well documented here.

Who said anything about settling?

but it was a much larger universe (and hopefully still so) than da way international..

we found our little moments of truth, sections of deliverance, sometimes I think in spite of the venue..

Who said anything about settling?

but it was a much larger universe (and hopefully still so) than da way international..

we found our little moments of truth, sections of deliverance, sometimes I think in spite of the venue..

"Who said anything about settling?"

You did when you said, "any port in a storm.."

Early on, we weren't "true believers in the midst of the charlatans' whoredoms." We weren't at all "in the midst of the charlatans' whoredoms." We weren't in "the venue" at all. Not defending "the charlatans' whoredoms, nor "the venue," but there was a time before that - a time that was above that. It doesn't make "the charlatans' whoredoms, nor "the venue" defensible, it makes it even worse.

Not being picky here, but there was such a time - not to be confused with those believers who held true in the midst of "the charlatans' whoredoms, or "the venue." That has been one of the major points brought out in this thread.

Tom

Early on, we weren't "true believers in the midst of the charlatans' whoredoms." We weren't at all "in the midst of the charlatans' whoredoms." We weren't in "the venue" at all. Not defending "the charlatans' whoredoms, nor "the venue," but there was a time before that - a time that was above that. It doesn't make "the charlatans' whoredoms, nor "the venue" defensible, it makes it even worse.

Not being picky here, but there was such a time - not to be confused with those believers who held true in the midst of "the charlatans' whoredoms, or "the venue." That has been one of the major points brought out in this thread.

We are kind of picking nits here on timelines. The only thing I meant by what you quoted was that it's been pretty well documented on this site that VP's antics pre-date our involvement. That pretty much rules out a time before that and above that from an absolute sense. For example, I have J.E.Stiles book on the HS field - you know - the guy that led VP into tongues? It is about 70% identical to RHST. But VP presented it as his own, quoted multiple times how he had memorized all usages of pneuma, spent a lot of time in a motel writing it, etc. Was that after the time of your involvement? If not, then the charlatan was already in full swing.

Now if what your saying is that in our awareness, in our heart, in our purity of our involvement there was a time before and above that I wholeheartedly agree. I knew nothing of the hijinks going on behind the curtain. In fact the large majority of the entire time I spent in TWI was like that - I had no knowledge of the sexual escapades AT ALL until Frau Helga von Q Tip Rivenbrk confronted all the Corps about it. The beauty of God and the bliss of naieve ignorance combined.

We are kind of picking nits here on timelines. The only thing I meant by what you quoted was that it's been pretty well documented on this site that VP's antics pre-date our involvement. That pretty much rules out a time before that and above that from an absolute sense. For example, I have J.E.Stiles book on the HS field - you know - the guy that led VP into tongues? It is about 70% identical to RHST. But VP presented it as his own, quoted multiple times how he had memorized all usages of pneuma, spent a lot of time in a motel writing it, etc. Was that after the time of your involvement? If not, then the charlatan was already in full swing.

Now if what your saying is that in our awareness, in our heart, in our purity of our involvement there was a time before and above that I wholeheartedly agree. I knew nothing of the hijinks going on behind the curtain. In fact the large majority of the entire time I spent in TWI was like that - I had no knowledge of the sexual escapades AT ALL until Frau Helga von Q Tip Rivenbrk confronted all the Corps about it. The beauty of God and the bliss of naieve ignorance combined.

I agree, chockfull, VP's antics were going on before the Way was incorporated, even before there was such a thing as The Way (not before the Way, the Lord Jesus Christ - but you know what I mean). But before VP grabbed the power and position by centralizing the money through his edict, the spread of the Word through the WOW program, the say so through the Way Tree & the Way Corps. Before he turned the corporate Body of Christ into a legal corporation. In other words, before he replaced the Lordship of the Lord Jesus Christ by his own Lordship, there was a difference of more than an entire magnitude in what was happening. Jesus Christ was moving it without all those limitations that VP later put in.

VP was a guy with a funny skinny black tie, but he didn't tell us what to do, certainly not in any of the ways he did after his power play- Jesus did. We were like animals that lived on light, & it didn't matter where it came from. Sure there were the seeds of legalism sown in the foundational PFAL, but all they did was illicit a wtf response from me, & served as an indication of wierdness in the guy - maybe an Ohio church thing - maybe a personality fault, but such considerations didn't play into whether he was the MOG or not. There was not thought as to MOG position for it to reckon into. As far as I remember, those considerations never entered into our practice. It was a foreign idea to me later when it was first brought up.

His venue didn't operate. If anything, the ministries of people like Doop, Heefner, Perez, & others did, & legalism didn't figure in. It was true revival by the Lord. That' the way it was in NY, CA, KS, South America, Europe, Africa. THEN VP took over. It was different.

VP came to NY in '72 to conduct an unscheduled Advanced class. The reason he did so was because we were already doing all the things in the Advanced class. Supposedly, he wanted to instruct us more perfectly, but the point is we were already doing all those things without any help from him.

Hope I'm making sense here.

Tom

Edited by Tom

Tom

Tom,

I see what you're saying. VP came in and took advantage of a genuine movement of God. I can't say I have personally experienced that - everything I have experienced has been a little more under the shadow of the legalism. For me the genuine movement of God happened on a small scale in spite of all that, but never the large-scale impact you're speaking of.

I have always thought that the numbers in TWI at its peak are due to the seeds planted in that genuine movement years before. And TWI is still leeching off the financial results of that.

Tom,

I have always thought that the numbers in TWI at its peak are due to the seeds planted in that genuine movement years before. And TWI is still leeching off the financial results of that.

Oh, absolutely - on both points!!

Tom is correct, it was a ministry run by Doop and Heefner. Twice VP came to Rye for a short visit, I was at both of those meetings in Tim Bi**p's living room.

Other than that, we basically met, then went about our business. Yes, he had taught the class, but he was on a farm somewhere - the Heefners were our leaders - make no mistake about that. It was their love and evangelism that brought us to the Bible. It just spread like wildfire.

Witnessing was easy: Hey, want to come to a fellowship and learn about God? Sure, when is it?

It was that easy because I believe the Holy Spirit had been preparing the hearts of young people in the midst of the hippie/drugs/new religions/etc. They were already prepared. All someone had to do was tell them about Christ and they were ready to learn.

I moved before the advanced class. But, to me, the first thing that started to spoil it was being told I now must fellowship in Larchmont at so and so's house and not in Rye. I slowly started to drift away because I wasn't wild about so and so, had enjoyed the larger groups and felt like they were starting to isolate us from the main body by splitting us into these little groups without our friends. Its another story how I got back in when we moved from NY to Ohio going into my senior year of high school.

But, it really was free, easy, a move of God, no rules under the Heefners - just the Word.

There was an unfettered, free time there...

Edited by Sunesis

But, it really was free, easy, a move of God, no rules under the Heefners - just the Word.

soo.... what "hoppened"?

it was "easy".. until..

what?

Just a question..

Was it originally.... *whatever port in the storm" had room for you.. not only for you, but me as well?

same question, rephrased.

Edited by Ham

call me nuts.. call me whatever, just call me..

so wasn't that it? Or the whole point of EVERYTHING.. god, the universe, and all..

just three stinking seconds of.. what was it.. an unfettered time..

I really hope.. or should I say pray.. those who passed these unholy walls.. had at least a few seconds of peace..

hope or pray.. your choice..

whadda we do now..

well, on a current "senses" level.. I hope you don't own stock in BP..

His venue didn't operate. If anything, the ministries of people like Doop, Heefner, Perez, & others did, & legalism didn't figure in. It was true revival by the Lord. That' the way it was in NY, CA, KS, South America, Europe, Africa. THEN VP took over. It was different.

VP came to NY in '72 to conduct an unscheduled Advanced class. The reason he did so was because we were already doing all the things in the Advanced class. Supposedly, he wanted to instruct us more perfectly, but the point is we were already doing all those things without any help from him.

Tom

Amazing - - - and yes, Tom. It makes perfect sense.

I slowly started to drift away because I wasn't wild about so and so, had enjoyed the larger groups and felt like they were starting to isolate us from the main body by splitting us into these little groups without our friends. Its another story how I got back in when we moved from NY to Ohio going into my senior year of high school.

I wish you would tell *us*.. or *me* more..

the "amazing" point to me..

how did you end up being.. for the lack of better words. Correct me if I am wrong.. a flaming frigging conservative..

I just don't see it..

or how, or why..

I understand a few things..

I shouldn't say.. wrong forum..

well.. too bad my beliefs aren't worth a crap here..

maybe its a good thing..

friend.. what do we do now..

Ham - - - don't denigrate yourself or your opinions, eh?

What to do now? Good question, but the answer is up to you, and your preferences.

Me?? I tried a bunch of different churches/ theologies/ etc. I don't go to church (these days).

There was a "Spirit Blowing in the Wind", (if you will), before docvic.

Some of us tapped into that, got sidetracked by twi, and left searching once again.

Personally?? I'm "Chasing the Wind" these days. There were answers there at one time.

I'm of the opinion they still are. But that's my choice. Yours might be different.

the "amazing" point to me..how did you end up being.. for the lack of better words. Correct me if I am wrong.. a flaming frigging conservative.

Was the "conservative" comment directed towards myself? If so, that is quite an easy question to answer, with (really) no thought involved when it comes to an answer. I have always been conservative both in speech/ thought/ and political leanings.

I'm curious as to why you would ask about a "conservative leaning" to either myself (or anyone else for that matter) on a thread that is dealing with Jim Doop/ The Way West/ and Vpw?? Maybe i missed something here, but that (to me) seems to be totally irrelevant and off-topic. Correct me if I have erred. :)

No no no. It wasn't directed at you..

It's just an observation.. Sunesis, you were a "groovy Christian" of rye, New york or something..

I've read some of your posts in politics and tacks..

I just wondered. If you don't mind the characterization.. or if it is inaccurate, please let me know.. for lack of better words, you were *ahem*.. a "hippie chick."

so what happened? Why the conservative slant?

Just curious. No ill feelings intended here or anything..

I dunno.. at times I've lost my objectivity.. until I figure it's just one side trying to solve the problems the other side caused..

Well.. this time, we gaves them their chances..

You really are a treasure.. not unlike any other human being I've had the pleasure to know..

maybe we need.. a Greasespot Cafe interview or something..

christ.. anybody on staff deserves an inteview..

heh

There was an unfettered, free time there...

Sunesis,

That's what we need in any day and time. You see roots and blossoms here and there. But it just seems to get bound up in legalism and human vice so quickly.

I only wish that we all can find a small section of that somewhere in life.

-cf

Chockful, that's why, after TWI, I have never been interested in "joining" a church. I know others love it, and good for them. But I just can't get involved with another "organization." I read other Christians websites and the drama about their churches, the problems they have with each other, or "is my church going emergent?" or "is our pastor leading us astray" etc., I see lots of drama. I value my relationship with Christ and will just enjoy him and leave it at that.

Ham, believe it or not, I was never into politics at all until Katrina. I remember telling my sister, everything that guy touches turns to s**t. I was angry enough to vote straight ticket democrat in 2006 for congress to neuter him. Believe it or not, I was registered independent and many, many times never bothered to vote.

I think its more that I feel the country is going off the tracks and off the rails and headed for something terrible - just a feeling in my bones, and I don't think "spending" like a drunken sailor, either under Bush or now is the cure. I just feel a disaster is coming, that's all I know. Financially, we are on the brink. I think if 2010 the elections don't change our course, we will be a radically different country.

So, I don't think its the political people who bug me, but more policies that will come back to bite us.

I could ask the same question - why is someone a progressive or a liberal? I think though, that those of us in the poli forum, in some ways enjoy the debate. They will tell you conservatives are mean people and conversvatives think libruls are delusional, but, in some ways, the discussion is rough and tumble and, for me, anyway - fun. The trick is not to get sucked into it and take it "seriously."

I guess, I have always felt we are a "fallen" race. I believe mankind is not "inherently" good. Others, who believe people are inherently good and have a spark of the divine, will believe man and government are the answer and to be followed, almost religiously. So, its two views and never the twain will meet. :)

But I am pulling back from there. For those who know me, I'm not a nasty nut, nor a political maven or junkie. Sometimes, its just fun to play on the poli forum.

It works both ways, I see people there and think - how did they get so blinded? I'm sure they think the same of me. But - I do not take it seriously. Its the 'net.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Sunesis

Chockfull, I know your post wasn't directed to me, but it wasn't private either, so I hope you don't mind if I put in my thoughts here.

I've spent a lot of years feeling like a displaced Christian without a home wondering where I belong if anywhere anymore. Back there in the days we have been talking about, I never needed to think about increase. My mental picture was that I was surrounded by a protective barrier that was keeping out all the gazillions of people who wanted what I had, but that God wouldn't let in any more than I could handle in love. I'd tell him how ready I was to handle how many more in love, & he'd let them in. We went from maybe 5 or 6 people made up of friends and "old" (teenagers who had been in the Word for about a year) grads to over 30 in a few short months, maybe two or three months.

A while back - well from time to time, but a while back for one instance - in the midst of my bemoaning my aloneness when I thought I should be enjoying the fellowship of the saints, the verse came to mind that God has placed us/ME in the body where it pleased him. Kind of took me up short. I decided to quit moaning & look at all the believers that were around me, & treating them like believers instead of making believe we were democrats, republicans, teachers, or whatevers.

Behold, they responded in kind. Why wouldn’t they; they’re believers after all. There were some remarkable results with the power of God healing people of serious (terminal) disease, but that’s not the point. Sunesis said that God had prepared people’s hearts back in the day, & that’s why the response was so great.

She was right. People say today is different. Jesus said, “Don’t you say, there are yet four months, and then comes harvest? Behold, I say unto you, “Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields, for they are white already to harvest.”

Jesus sacrificed his life outside the city gates. That’s where his grace is received. We have no present home. There are so many of us outside the gates – HEARTS PREPARED OR SHALL I SAY HUNGRY.

There are so many teaching a watered down gospel in churches. God still meets people where they are humble, & their teachings are sometimes inspired. That’s a testimony to Gods’ infinite grace; I’m so thankful.

There are others who are actually teaching the Word – not Way doctrine, not NOT Way doctrine – the Word – purely refreshing, delivering, and powerful.

Point? The door is open, as it always has been, for us to walk into the grace behind the veil.

How many are you willing to receive in true love? How many am I? They’re waiting, prepared or not, to whatever degree, but they’re waiting!!!

God will let in as many as you say.

Really, that’s as simple as it is.

Response?