GreaseSpot Cafe

click, click-click, click, click-click, click click...

satori001

I want a quiet mouse. I never notice during the day, but at night the damn thing sounds like a screwdriver tapping on a snare drum. Way more feedback than I need, and my computer doesn't have ears, so the clicking doesn't make it go any faster. My keyboard could be quieter too, but it's bearable.

My internet search (last 5 minutes) have proven fruitless. Any suggestions? Anyone have a mouse that's as "quiet as a mouse?" In other words, virtually silent.

umm, I love my trackball with 4 buttons and scroll wheel/5th button. I never heard it click , but I guess it makes some sound, not near as much as keyboard.

Warning, people who are not used to a trackball have trouble figuring out how to move the cursor, but that is my own computer security system! LOL

I do a lot of cad drawing, and it serves me well.

My old Mac here, has a coupla keys (at the top of the numerical board to the right of the main key board) that will either enhance or reduce sound.

I have the sound set low, so I don't even hear the "online squeal" that happens when I log on. If I have it up high, the mouse is as obnoxious as the initial internet connection.

The keyboard I have here is a "pro" model, that (I think) is used for both macs, and pc's alike. The "sound" keys, are just to the right of the F15 key.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif:)-->

And -- this puter, and keyboard use a USB port, so even though I have a Mac, I am thinking that you can do the same on a PC. Guess it depends on your keyboard.

I have to turn the volume up here, when audio comes across, otherwise I'll miss what is being said --- it is all "mastered" by the volume control, that I either have set high, or low.

I hate it when the damn wheel on the mouse clicks when you scroll - grrrrrrrr! The other thing that drives me up the wall is the screaming fan in the tower. The desktop I have at work sounds like a helicopter landing - after 8 hours with that thing I'm ready for those earplugs!

Satori - Try Logitech's website - you're probably going to have to test drive some, since no one really specializes in a "quiet" mouse - I've only seen quiet keyboards.

Good luck!

Thanks. It's the mechanical clicking noise I want to lose. I don't like touch pads because they don't give you a comfortable rest for your hand. I don't like track balls because a mouse gives me more control.

The noise is negligible during the day but at night, when others are sleeping in a quiet house, and when there is no other extraneous noise, it is irritatingly loud.

There is software which interprets certain mouse motions as clicks, but I haven't tried it yet, and it's one more program running in the background to screw things up in unimaginable ways.

ex, thanks for the link. I had already read that in my "search," and it was reassuring that I'm not alone. Steve seconds.