GreaseSpot Cafe

Oxygen saturated water- To your Health

David Anderson

quote:
David, I never realized that Dasani and Aquafina water are oxygenated also. Do you know how much oxygen they have as opposed to Penta?

Also, what do you make of the claim by hiOsilver water that glass bottled water retains the oxygen better than plastic bottles?

Hello again Oldiesman. Coke and Pespi's water products are about 15 ppm (at least the bottles I tested were). That seems to be a common enough number in bottled water's that do add oxygen- assumedly because they can just use air under pressure rather than oxygen to raise the oxygen content that high. It's still double that of most tap water.

I found the hiOsilver site interesting and if the product was first made since the beginning of last December it's probably owned by Goey, GarthP, Zixar, or perhaps even Krysilis- which would explain their gripes on this thread.

But the web page evidently has been around for eight years so the question is whether they've had the hiOsilver product for that long. If they have, it sort of makes the point more eloquently than I could that the whole smoke and mrror comments about double blind studies are no more than thread killer attempts.

I'd really hoped that Krysilis would spend her time posting about what she knew of oxygenated water and it's benefits on fish, animals and humans from her twenty years teaching biology. You would think that with access to the scientific method for so long she'd be able to tell the difference between what is science and what is not. But, alas, playing Mother Reprover seems to be a compulsory process with her- from which I conclude she was a fine WayCorp graduate. I guess she missed my opening comments about being far more interested in horses than people since they are at least honest and without guile- and would much rather run from a fight than start one. As for me, I haven't been interested in a popularity contest since at least grade school (although often enough I've been drafted by my peers to represent them, or do their work for them, since that time).

About the only thing I'd object to from the link you cited was the claim that distilled water is cheeper than their spring water. If it is (in their case), they're paying way to much for spring water. I know it costs about 20 cents in electricity to boil a gallon of water in a small distiller (like the Kenmore Water Purifier I use). Actually that costs nothing in the winter because the heat goes into the room so that the thermostat doesn't come on as often- pay for the distilled water and get the heat for free. Summer time is a different story! In any event, I only use distilled water so that I know it must be the oxygen in it that has the profound effect and not anything else. But Penta Water has brought up the matter of the five molecule clusters, which may or may not happen when water is distilled and then saturated with oxygen. Logic tells me that it does (or perhaps even breakes it down to one molecule non-clustered water) but I'll leave the testing of that to someone else- I really don't care to spend the time and money investigating it. But if I'm right, Penta Water's patented process will turn out to be worthless, except for advertising value.

Kit Sober will be happy to hear that they use glass bottles- and also that they are located not too far north of her. Do they sell HiOsilver Water in New York? What does it cost?

Can't say that I know much at all about plastic and how much/how fast oxygen leaks (if at all)out through a plastic bottle. But I wouldn't put highly oxygenated water in aluminum cans in a million years, even if they were coated on the inside with plastic. It's only the alluminum oxide protective barrier that readily forms on aluminum metal in air that keeps it from turning to dust in a hurry. And even so, it doesn't do all that well staying in tact.

One final thing I've been meaning to post for some time now. Most of the literature talks about lymph nodes as being filters. But to an engineer a filter generally means that there is a filtrate and a precipitate formed by the filter. There evidently is no precipitate discharged by the lymph nodes and so it appears to be more like a screen than a filter.

But I came across a site by a Dr. Greene, that made the case that a lymph node was really more like a school than a filter. And this school was charged with training lymphocytes how to deal with life as they knew it. And so they learned how to specialize in attacking various toxins and destroying them (chewing them up so that they became small enough to pass through the school while not overly disturbing the class in progress. Swelled lymph nodes are therefore the result of too many class disturbances so that a riot results and the doors are closed so as not to disturb the entire neighborhood. (We wouldn't want these fine schools to be shut down perminately after all by an irate neighborhood!)

As this pertains to this thread, these lymphocites go from an inactivbe state (sitting at their desk writing a term paper) to an active state (screaming, running around, killing toxins, etc.). There's probably a wierd sounding alarm outside the front door to alert the neighborhood when the doors are shut, and even an automatic window shut/lock function if the noise level keeps increasing even after the doors are shut and locked. Problem is that after the roudiness goes on long enough with no oxygen supply, that some of the students morph into real lunitics called cancer cells- cells incapable of helping the body and only hurting it.

Seems to me that highly oxygenated water would at least slow down the rate of lunitic formation if not reduce the number of riots in these schools.

Warburg got the Nobel Prize in 1931 for his discovery of the nature and mode of action of the respritory enzyme in cells, which he found by measuring combustion in cells (which he called cellular respiration). Seems this "enzyme" was only one millionth of the weight of a cell but by such exact measurements he could determine the nature of this "enzyme" and how it acted. Seems he was comparing cells in an orderly school in a lymph node to one in which a riot was going on. That's a guess until I can find out more from his publications before and after that time. But I do know combustion and so as early as 1931 the process was known as a combustion reaction, which, by definition requires oxygen as one of the reactants and food/fuel as the other. Respiration on the cell level is merely a combustion reaction in a water solution. One glucose molecule plus six oxygen molecules produces 6 carbon dioxide molecules and six water molecules if the combustion is complete. And, it produces a net of 36 ATP "units of energy" for distribution and use by the cell.

Unfortunately, many of the charts and pictures that talk about cellular respiration omit the oxygen all together, as if it didn't count. They go into great detail about electron transport, the Kreb cycle, glycolysis, nine enzymes involved, etc. But like a seminary that never quite gets around to teaching Bible because there are so many other things of interest to teach that everybody either forgets the obviously most basic knowledge or never learns it in the first place.

So some obvious observations are in order. One glucose molecule requires 6 oxygen molecules for it to be completely burned and it's potential energy turned into the chemical energy of 36 ATP molecules. Chances are that one or more of the six oxygens required won't show up in time and so incomplete combustion happens and like a smoking engine in an old car, good energy goes out the tail pipe and starts clogging up the system. One article suggested that seldom are even 30 ATP's formed.

And so, when it comes to oxygen, more of it being around is always better, as medical doctors have told me- not to mention that the higher the partial pressure of oxygen at the cell level the better- more of a chance that all six oxygens will arrive to chew up a glucose molecule.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
I found the hiOsilver site interesting and if the product was first made since the beginning of last December it's probably owned by Goey, GarthP, Zixar, or perhaps even Krysilis- which would explain their gripes on this thread.

Actuially, my gripes are a result of your dogged ignorance, kindergarten logic, and the abrasive manner in which you deal with those who disagree with or challenge your ideas.

It appears that you learned your lessons well from master Wierwille.

Maybe an OxyEnema would help?

Dear David:

I've tried to show you what I know about biology but every time I do, your responses indicate that your mind is already made up. I can not teach you anything if you aren't willing to suspend judgement until you've followed and digested the information along the garden path I've laid out for you.

I've called it a "garden path" because although there are rows of headges and interesting boulders and amazing clumps of trees about, AND asked you not to be distracted by them until you get to the end, you insist on pouring over these "distractions" and then complain to me that I didn't teach you anything.

quote:
I'd really hoped that Krysilis would spend her time posting about what she knew of oxygenated water and it's benefits on fish, animals and humans from her twenty years teaching biology. You would think that with access to the scientific method for so long she'd be able to tell the difference between what is science and what is not.

And when you didn't learn it, you not only put the blame on me - but also inserted a teeth-ratteling insult in there just for good measure.

Surely you don't really expect me to try again do you?

How dare you put me in the category of those who were really Corpse Nazis! It is amazing to me that David - the Mighty Engineer - could come to such an errant conclusion.

quote:
But, alas, playing Mother Reprover seems to be a compulsory process with her- from which I conclude she was a fine WayCorp graduate. I guess she missed my opening comments about being far more interested in horses than people since they are at least honest and without guile- and would much rather run from a fight than start one.

Where do you get off questioning my honesty? Who are you -Mr. High and Lofty All Powerfull One-Thread, the Regal David Anderson...to be my judge?

Just for the record, I was never in the Corps...never even sent for an application.

IF you see guile in me, it is because you are looking through your own. I don't start fights either. It uses too much energy and bandwidth - but I stick up for myself when necessary.

quote:
As for me, I haven't been interested in a popularity contest since at least grade school (although often enough I've been drafted by my peers to represent them, or do their work for them, since that time).

I'm glad you never wrote any of my physiology papers otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the only 'A' in the class.

I find it so telling that you demand honesty in me, but willingly admit you partook in dishonesty by preparing papers for others. I guess it was just too tempting for you to exert your own superiority whenever the opportunity was presented! I hope you were paid enough for it.

Totally fascinating how he clearly sees the supposed arrogance in the medical community which he self-righteously *loathes* (and even points that out as one of the chief reasons for), yet he just cannot see it in himself.

... Dr. David. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Well I have a real problem with this oxygenated water stuff.

I was happily settled into gray hair, and started coloring it to a "mega blond". no problema.

But now my hair is growing out black (like it was many years ago), and to keep it blond I need to do touchup every two weeks.

Oh, well. Everything has its downside.

I don't know if blonds have more fun or if they are stupider than others (as some would have us believe), but I do know manufactured blonds can spend a lot for hair care productsicon_smile.gif:)-->

kit

David,I guess people make up their own minds as to how genuine you are along with your claims and if you genuinely believe in what you are saying then thankyou for being concerned enough to voice it.This may give a little twist & turn to the debate on oxygenated water here on the forum, I have just been visiting Jeff Raths health site and clicked on the benefits of coral calcium in the body;there it mentioned about cancers & a host of other degenerative diseases being anaerobic etc.. & the need for super oxygenated blood !Jeff Raths site can be accessed through www.cffm.org & then clicking on links.

quote:
I have every confidence in the product! I seriously object to the attack-dog method of one of it's messengers.

Krys, if I'm an attack dog then you are a viper. How anyone could take this

quote:
I haven't been interested in a popularity contest since at least grade school (although often enough I've been drafted by my peers to represent them, or do their work for them, since that time).

and turn it into this

quote:
I find it so telling that you demand honesty in me, but willingly admit you partook in dishonesty by preparing papers for others.

is, to me, an amazing poison pill you offer for consumption. Not a word about lymph nodes, which, after all, was the main part of the post as regards the theory and practice of oxygenated water. I was hoping that you'd at least recognize that lymphosites are cells which need oxygen to live and do their job, not to mention how they might get their oxygen.

Actually, my quip about doing other's work for them had more to do with the fact that folks like you and the medical profession should have been discussing the benifits of oxygenated water thirty years ago, when Dr. Pakdaman first reported his work with cancer patients. But no, it takes an engineer to keep pounding the matter home thirty years later and being accused on this thread of far too many hateful things to even list them- all by no-names.

Actually, this thread reminds me of when I first was introduced to PFAL in the mid sixties. I was a senior in college at the time and before that had attended Lutheran schools through grade school and high school. I'd gone to church every week, sang in the choir, organized paper drives, was president of my class most of those years (and when I refused to do it I agreed to be vice president and then had to do most of the work anyway), played football, basketball, etc., gave the speech at graduation on the value of a Christian education, and with all that figured that everyone I knew back home would just love to take this wonderful class called Power For Abundant Living.

Boy was I surprised! Most figured they were far superior to me. After all, they knew that God sent doctors to heal people and so God healing people Himself was shear nonsense. (not to mention such a simple thing as drinking oxygenated water being able to help people as well.) And His actually providing evidence of the miraculous was nonsense as well. After all, while mentally assenting that He probably made the heavens and earth, it was obvious that He'd taken a walk since then. And we won't even consider those who thought Darwin quite superior to God.

Actually, that's when I developed my 10% rule- only 10% of folks are even firing on all cylinders, let alone competent to discuss a particular issue. I'm probably exaggerating. It's probably far less than 10%!

But two of the people that did take PFAL from my church were my 5-6 grade teacher and her future husband, my 7-8 grade teacher. I didn't hear from them again for over twenty years and I doubt they ever sent one dime to TWI and I know they never sent one dime to me. But they ended up in Tiawan for twenty years as missionaries (another of those five year committments that take twenty years to accomplish) and incorporated what they learned in their lives rather than becoming slaves to slogans like so many did that took PFAL. When they returned to the states they looked up mom and me to discuss my book and it was one of the great honors of my mom's life that they did- and the healing of her attitude that resulted was more than enough payment to me for effort spent all those long years ago to introduce them to a bible class.

I read all the crap on Waydale disecting PFAL- as if the writers were far superior to Wierwille. But the fact is they were not. And their offerings of who else was a better bible teacher never satisfied either. I never met one who was more prepared, and better able to teach the simple things- like The Word of God is the Will of God, and the bible means what it says and says what it means, than he was. He was in many ways a culprit, but the man could teach the subject matter of the bible- which means, in part, hammering down the naysayers and all the attempts to debunk it, overt or subtle and devilish.

So please be advised that I am more of a junk yard dog than an attack dog on the loose. I am chained and the owner of the junk yard, Jesus Christ himself, is very able to decide when I should be kept on a chain and when I can be let loose.

So how about explaining why Kit's youthful hair is returning! I should have known you were never in the Way corp, since twi required not only a name but an address as well, and then years of attendence to boot. But then, so did the green card, which required a signature even, before one could get into a PFAL class (unless it as one of the many "illegal" classes held, and no one has even suggested that this did a bit of damage to anyone!

But then maybe you don't think this nation has become a junk yard in need of many more than one junk yard dog like me! I used to be accused of being a trouble maker- until I realized that I never make trouble, I just won't back away from it if lives are at stake- much to the chagrin of those who do make the trouble.

David, I don't know if hiOsilver is available here...but I'll call them up later and see...

Can you test the oxygen level of different waters easily? If so, let's do some tests sometime with Penta and hiOsilver to see if what they say is right about plastic... icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
So please be advised that I am more of a junk yard dog than an attack dog on the loose. I am chained and the owner of the junk yard, Jesus Christ himself, is very able to decide when I should be kept on a chain and when I can be let loose.

So let me get this straight, "Dr. I'm-in-the-10%-crowd". Your condescending and dismissing attitude towards those of us who dare to question and challenge your information and presentation re: oxygenated water is based on Jesus Christ Himself letting the chain loose on you, and saying "Sick 'em, boy!" towards us 'unbelievers'? ... I'm sorry, but I didn't know that Jesus Christ had some spiritual stake (or perhaps stock? icon_wink.gif;)-->) in Penta.

quote:
I read all the crap on Waydale disecting PFAL- as if the writers were far superior to Wierwille. But the fact is they were not. And their offerings of who else was a better bible teacher never satisfied either. I never met one who was more prepared, and better able to teach the simple things- like The Word of God is the Will of God, and the bible means what it says and says what it means, than he was. He was in many ways a culprit, but the man could teach the subject matter of the bible- which means, in part, hammering down the naysayers and all the attempts to debunk it, overt or subtle and devilish.

Well, well, well! Looks like Smikeol has finally got himself another convert.

Davey, if PFAL is the best you can do to show us the Power of GOD, ... well, you'll probably end up alone and forgetten like your Master Teacher Wierwille, whose legacy has and will never amount to anything significant. Ever!

Only difference is that instead of Drambrui, your drink of choice is Penta water.

icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Skeptic and heretic, ... and naysayer who will not be hammered down! ... And damn proud of it!

icon_cool.gif

Honestly, I don't know enough to judge the relative merits of the claims of the oxy water fans versus the oxy water debunkers without studying the relevant science, so I have to rely on others' opinions. Thank the goddess that my life doesn't depend on whether or not I drink this stuff! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

If you want to drink this stuff because you believe that it turns your hair darker or makes your horses run faster, go ahead; I can say that Hawk's "pear juice" can cure a sinus infection with just as much conviction and just as much scientific proof. (my sinuses cleared up and the pain went away shortly after I consumed some of the moonshine - true story)

On another subject: David, do you at all realize that Krysilis believes in your product? She started out on your side. But because she doesn't focus on the same details that you do, you attack her. Not only attack her position, but her character and intelligence as well. That crap about the Way Corps requiring a signature and an address; what's next?

And what was that nonsense that you threw in about Wierwille & PFAL? There's a doctrinal thread going on right now, I'm sure that your ideas will get more of a workout down there.

Junkyard dog, huh? More like one of those foo-foo dogs hiding behind the fence, yapping away, but without much of a bite.

quote:
and being accused on this thread of far too many hateful things to even list them- all by no-names.
In case you were thinking about dragging out the anonymity card...I have posted my name here on several occassions

quote:
I have just been visiting Jeff Raths health site and clicked on the benefits of coral calcium in the body;there it mentioned about cancers & a host of other degenerative diseases being anaerobic etc.. & the need for super oxygenated blood !

Hello Allen. I found the place you referred to on the above site but not the article. Only one small correction- the use of "super oxygenated blood". I would use the term "well oxygenated" rather than super oxygenated because anything that is "super saturated" (as in making oxygenated water under pressure) will gass off the excess oxygen when the pressure is releived, and if supersaturated enough will look milky as the excess oxygen comes off. Once the water clears you may be sure that it is saturated- which is why I initially made oxygen saturated water that way (I had no dissolved oxygen meter nor the lab setup to do a Winkler titration).

If the water is close to freezing temperature, the saturation point will be about 75 ppm, although while under pressure it might be four or five times higher than that, depending on the pressure- the excess oxygen gassing off within a minute or so after the pressure vessel is tapped into a glass or bottle.

Anyway, gas bubbles of any kind in the blood stream are bad news. As mentioned earlier on this thread, the bends in deep sea divers is caused by nitrogen bubbles forming in the blood stream if they depressurize too quickly. The cure for this condition is a hyperbaric chamber, where a diver is again put under oxygen pressure, the oxygen lowers the nitrogen concentration by displacement while under pressure, and then gradually the oxygen pressure is lowered to atmospheric. Since molecular oxygen is used by the body and molecular nitrogen is not, the excess oxygen under pressure is used up and no gasses form if the decompression is slow enough- a pretty easy solution for a serious problem (ie. the gas bubbles of nitrogen could cause stroke and blockages of all kinds in the blood stream- for example, two Red Blood Cells being forced into a capillary designed for only one and then getting stuck forever, killing the surrounding cells by cutting off their oxygen supply.)

Regarding your other question about availability of oxygenated water in Australia, I can't answer that. I did post back on page 2 of this thread (my post of December 8), how you can make it yourself. If you need additional help on how to make it, just email me at anders@en.com. I was hoping that someone would actually make some since then and post a report here on their success or failure in doing so. But with spring approaching here in America, I doubt I'll be spending as much time here.

Best wishes,

Dave

Hey Oldiesman. Sorry it has taken me so long to address your last post but I've looked up the HiOSilver site and even read their patent. Looks like the thrust of their ad campaign is to show that Penta Water is worthless and their's is much better- even going so far as to get a patent so that Penta Water's claim to having the world's only patented water is voided.

So I looked up the patent and I'm amazed they even received a patent. It talks about anearobic bacteria causing halitosis and how their water kills these bacteria in the back of the tongue. So, all you folks with halitosis, don't drink oxygenated water or you might be guilty of infringing on HiOSilver's patent! (of course you could always say you didn't have halitosis or didn't know that oxygenated water got rid of it.)

Then there was a comparison on their site of the pH and oxygen content of their water compared to "Penta Hydrate Super Pro" water and "O2Go water", stating that "Penta Hydrate Super Pro" is only 19 ppm oxygen. So I got out the bottle of Penta Water I used to test oxygen concentration (that read 40 ppm) and looked at the label. It's not called "Penta Hydrate Super Pro" so I figure they're referring to someone other than the company, Bio-Hydration Research Lab, Inc., even while appearing to do so. (and we won't go to O2Go water, since it was reported to have only 15 ppm oxygen- assuming the company exists at all.)

I even found on their site the name of an expert they use to debunk Penta Water- none other than The Amazing Randi, and his million dollar prize. They don't mention he's a magician!

But the main thing that caught my attention was the pH of HiOSilver's water- 8.4, while the other two were 7.0. But in the patent they also mention ozone and so I'm unclear whether they use molecular oxygen or ozone in making their product. Anyway, not to worry, they'll ship you their product by UPS at no charge (if you live in the USA) for shipping. It only costs about $30 a gallon! Why they'll even throw in a free tee shirt!

But here's a way to test oxygen content for yourself. A dissolved oxygen meter costs upwards of $700 the last time I looked, but you can make your own for about $130- the cost of the probe. I got mine from Sensorex Corporation, who evidently makes most of the probes for the d.o. meter industry around the world. The meter people then add electronics to the reader so it digitally comes out in whatever units you want. I use a made-in-china millivolt meter that costs $3 from Harbor Freight. Once you've put the two together and calibrate it by using two known data points (one can be distilled water kept from air after distilling so it has zero dissolved oxygen), make a little straight lined graph and then any millivolt reading of your meter can easily be converted to ppm- and all for a cost of about $133.

But about pH, I've read that the body operates in a very narrow range of 6.9 to 7.6 and outside those limits is life threatening. Obviously that doesn't include the stomach pH after meals. It wasn't all that many years ago that I read that it was still a mystery as to why the concentrated acid in the stomach didn't chew away the stomach wall and kill everyone who ever ate anything. Ah, another of God's little secrets!

Anyway, I wouldn't touch HiOSilver's 8.4 pH water for love nor money. But then I seldom even eat a Tum or Rolaid for indigestion.

On a different subject, a fellow who read my book a number of years ago sent me a tape called "Dead Doctor's Don't Lie", by Dr. Joel Wallach. I thought it was very informative, dealing with the 90 essential neutrients the body needs- 60 of which are minerals. To drive his point home about medical doctors having no experience or education in the subject, he pointed out that the average lifespan of a medical doctor was 58-70 years (depending on who's numbers one used) verses the average lifespan of people in general in this country of 75.5 years. Imagine that, average folks know how to live longer than medical doctors do! Who'd have thunk it? (even though we only are 17th in longevity in the world- dispite all the scalpel and pill professors around, and their hoard of followers.)

Anyway, I'd long since lost track of the tape- like so much of my stuff, it get's loaned out and never quite gets back to me. So I'd forgotten his name and looked it up from the title of his tape. Seems it was taken from a speach he gave in 1993 and has been sold, or given away, by the millions since then by everyone under the sun. A veritable VPW, except with a 90 minute tape instead of a 36 hour one! And he was only talking about food, not water, not oxygen.

And so I'm back to where I started this thread, the body needs 3 pounds of food a day, three pounds of water and 6 pounds of oxygen. There is no end to the stuff available about food. But even though it is apparent from this thread that there is more interest than previously in the other two- especially combined together, it's still a fact that the average person can do without food for much longer than either water or oxygen. And my bet is that the vast majority of folks don't even know that only about one fifth of the air they breathe is oxygen. Soooo simple, but so profound.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Oldiesman. I went down to Sears yesterday to get a new gasket for my Kenmore Model No. 625-344810 Water Purifier (distiller) and found that they are currently on sale for $99. I bought mine a year or so ago for $139. The gal said it is a national sale and runs until next week sometime. You can see a picture and discription of it at www.KenmoreWater.com in case you're interested.

Anyway, it was such a good deal I not only got my gasket, I bought another unit and have now doubled my water making capacity from 4 gallons a day to 8 gallons a day. Around here distilled water costs about $1.00 a gallon and the electric cost to run the Kenmore unit is about 20 cents a gallon. So one only needs to make about 125 gallons for the thing to pay for itself (in the horse handicapping world they call it ROI- return on investment)- not to mention lugging all that water from the store!

So Maple syrup season is upon us here (the trees start pumping the sap when the temperature goes above freezing during the day and freezes at night- like the weatherman says is going to happen here for at least the next five days) and today I'll tap some trees and make some oxygenated Maple sap. From numerous sources it appears that Maple Syrup has something in it that inhances the immune system. So I figure that if I never boil off the 97-99% water in the sap but rather keep it cold directly from the tree, the really good stuff won't get damaged by the heat of boiling.

No doubt some will say that this is not AMA approved and I'll kill myself if I drink it. We'll see! And I'll be interested in finding how much oxygen is in the sap to begin with- if any. Don't know if adding oxygen will destroy the good stuff but I rather think it won't- which is one of the reasons we put stuff in the refrigerator to begin with.

Actually, after buying the distiller yesterday I drove out to Chardon as I began thinking that I could get lots of distilled water for the taking as everyone around here that makes Maple Syrup boils off a lot of water! The place that sells the evaporators in this area is in Chardon and he was quite helpful in giving me the names and locations of all the sugar shacks around. He's not making any syrup this year since he sold his last evaporator and didn't order the new models since the price of nickel has trippled in the last year. He's hoping the price comes back down or he'll be out of business- except for selling his sap to all the folks he's sold evaporators to.

Ah, the contortions the mind goes through! I buy a water distiller because it's an exceptional deal, so I can make my own maple syrup and get distilled water at the same time and by days end I have all the distilled water I want before even using my distiller- and, worse yet, if oxygenating the sap works, I won't even need to make any syrup!

Actually, the guy's wife in Chardon said she use to take some distilled water home for her own use and then told of a farmer who decided to just bottle it and sell it. Turned out that although it was distilled, it formed a white curdlike substance on top over time that turned out to be some enzyme- and so the price went up and he changed the name from distilled water to Joe's (or somebody's) Magic Elexor. Ah AMA, eat your heart out!

So when are you going to get on your pony and ride out this way? The sugar season is dead if the temperature goes above freezing and just keeps going. All the sugar shacks hope it freezes every night from now til June!

P.S. Pure Maple Syrup costs $40 a gallon around here. Sort of puts HiOSilver's $30 a gallon water in perspective- but the maple folks won't ship it for free! A nice big Maple tree will yield 5 gallons of sap on a good day and so I figure four of them should get 100 gallons in a good year. using my Kenmore to make the syrup should yield three gallons of syrup, which would pay for the unit in less than a month. There are advantages to doing things one's self! As a political friend once said, we just need to undertech the bastards! And here I had maple trees all around me all my life and never saw one being tapped until I looked it up on the internet a few years ago and found out how to do it myself. It's as simple as drilling a small hole about two-three inches into the tree on a slight incline about three feet off the ground, tapping a spout into the hole and collecting it in a bucket (I'll use my corny kegs to keep all the varmits around from drinking it all!). Just part of the glory of the Lord in the face of Jesus Christ.

Thanks Oldiesman. You're right. The model I have is the 625.344800 not the 625.344810. The 810 model is a little larger and has a clock on it but in my opinion is not worth the extra $30 or so at retail (and I don't think it's on sale). I also see that the sale ends this saturday, March 19, and not next week like I was told at the store. Thanks again.

Dave

David, thanks.

I went ahead and bought the #34480 unit last night, and saved another $15 on top of the $99 sale for getting a Sears Charge Card.

This should work out really great. It says it takes 5 hours to make 3 quarts, but I can run it at night when my electricity rate is lower.

Regarding me coming to see you, I was thinking about one weekend in April or May? Obviously I'd like to ride on a beautiful sunny weekend, so if I have the option of calling it a day or two beforehand, that'd be great. Don't want to mess up your plans though. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Just curious, how many gallons of water did you make on the Kenmore before you needed a new filter?

quote:
Just curious, how many gallons of water did you make on the Kenmore before you needed a new filter?

Oldiesman, I can't rightly tell you how many gallons but in the winter I use it 24/7 so lets say 90 days at 4 gallons a day and then double that for the rest of the year- so maybe a thousand gallons all told. But it wasn't a filter, it was the gasket around the top of the boiling pot lid. It wasn't worn out, just broke where it was originally glued together- probably a defective gluing job. I tried using super glues but they only held it back together when it was cold and immediatley broke again with the first batch that was heated. So I'm hoping the new one lasts forever.

I've boiled about ten gallons of maple sap so far and have about a third of a gallon of syrup. Interestingly enough, the sap measured 30 ppm oxygen when I first brought it into the shop. The first five gallons of distilate I saturated with oxygen after cooling and sure enough, there was a trace amount of white stuff on top after the excess oxygen escaped. The oxygen saturated water had a bit of a taste to it, on the bitter side, so that's probably the enzyme that carries over with the water as it's boiled and then condensed. Suposedly it's good for the immune system but no doubt it won't keep long without refrigeration.

I read on some Canadian official web site a few years ago that maple syrup had an enzyme in it that inhanced immune system function and therefore was going to try giving some sap to horses without boiling it at all. It sure is sweet. Now that I know it's 30 ppm oxygen, I'm wondering whether it's an enzyme left in the syrup or just the higher level of oxygen in the sap that inhances immune system function. And now that I have two distillers, it looks like the horses will have to wait for the sap experiment. Maybe I'll part with a little of it to give the chickens and see what they think of it. And i'll see if they turn up their noses at the taste of the oxygenated distillate.

So when are you going to start making Hi-O-Oldie water? Looking forward to seeing you but I must warn you that I've wanted to get back out west for the past fifteen years and this may be the year I finally reach escape velocity. No hard and fast plans yet, but with spring comes the wanderlust!

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave,

I made a few gallons of water with the Kenmore over the weekend. It's really easy to use. I tried a gallon or two without the filter, and then a couple of gallons with, and didn't notice that much difference in the taste with the filter in there.

Maybe the filter needs a few gallons thru it to do it's job?

That's such a great idea about the syrup.

Thanks smile.gif:)-->

David,

Do you still abide in Novelty?

According to Mapquest, that's only 470 miles away from me, or 7 hrs. 35 minutes actual driving. With stops, probably around 10 hours at most.

Heck, the headquarters drive for me was like 625 miles or 12 or so hours, so this is a definite improvement.

4_17_206.gif