GreaseSpot Cafe

From Abigail, Funny!

Bluzeman

Not to "rain on anyone's parade" here, but I found it sick, and judgemental, and just plain old inappropriate.

FYI -- the handi-capped folks I deal with on a daily basis, use technics just like this to get what they want, and folks like me have to deal with it, out in "the community", and believe you me --- it ain't purty.

Trying to maintain some semblence of "authority", while a screaming "client" is getting all the attention, isn't easy --but would I have said to their folks *use condoms*?

Not me. If that jerk in the ad couldn't control his own kid, perhaps he should have used a condom, to that much I will agree.

But to me -- the overall implication was ---"Got kids?" "Got problems?" "Use a condom -- no worries."

What's the next step?? Eh? Planned parenthood seems to be on every street corner, and I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut, that they have some ideas for you.

DMiller, no one was making fun of the mentally or emotionally disabled. My mom used to work with such folks and I got to know some of her clients as I was growing up.

" If that jerk in the ad couldn't control his own kid, perhaps he should have used a condom, to that much I will agree."

We don't "control" our kids any more than we can control anyone else. That is crap taught by TWI, which I figured out was impossible real early on in parenthood. You can discipline them and teach them, motivate them, even beat them (which I am not recommending) but you cannot control them.

My oldest son threw his first all out temper tantrum right on que on his second birthday. I laughted and took pictures to preserve the moment. But the reality is, it isn't funny when your kids is out of control. Most kids have moments when they ARE out of control because they have to learn how to control and properly express their emotions.

Most parents, regardless of how much we love our children, have moments when we think "oh my God, I did this on purpose? I even did it twice???" (or whatever number applies). Usually we have those moments when our kids are behaving especially bad. I love my children and I do not regret having them, but as a parent, I can sure relate to the commercial.

Lighten up a bit. Humor can take the edge off a really tense moment, ya know? I know the next time one of my kids throws a tantrum, if I can picture that commercial and smile, I will be of far more help to my child then if I get all ....ed off at him.

Ouch. I can appreciate that people can laugh at this, but it hits too close to home for me. This is my autistic son on a not good day, except that I would probably be holding him in a basket restraint to prevent him from damaging himself/me/someone else/property. He is too heavy now for me to carry him out.

(((((Shellon)))))

An understanding word or look can mean more than you could imagine. It's really the greatest thing you can do. These situations are so difficult for parents who experience them on a regular basis, and it can really help to be reminded that it has happened to all parents at one time or another.

Tolerance is a beautiful thing.

Noname - yes, it hits close to home for me too, as my oldest son has had very similar meltdowns here at home (and thankfully not in public). I too have had to physically restrain my son in order to prevent him from injuring himself or someone else. When he was 3 he smashed a window during one such tantrum.

However, I can also take some comfort and amusement in knowing that "normal" children also can and do have meltdowns.

I can't see it either, but have had a moment or two with an out of control kid, its embarrasing so I usually just got them out of there fast. What I can't stand is women who look at me like I should beat my kid in front of them which I refused to do, I don't beleive in hitting and I'm not about satisfy thier desire to see see a little kid hit.