GreaseSpot Cafe

Honey please forgive me

Shellon

Man begs wife's forgiveness in $17,000 ad

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (AP) -- When five dozen roses didn't work, an estranged husband took out a full-page newspaper ad to ask his wife for forgiveness.

"Please believe the words in my letter, they are true and from my heart," read the ad in Tuesday's edition of The Florida Times-Union. "I can only hope you will give me the chance to prove my unending love for you. Life without you is empty and meaningless."

Larry, who declined to give his last name, sent the $17,000 apology to Marianne, his wife of 17 years. She left him almost two weeks ago, he said.

"It was a culmination of things," he told the newspaper. "But I am desperately trying to save our marriage."

Larry, who lives in Orlando, said his wife is staying with her parents near Jacksonville. But they blocked him from entering their gated community and she changed her cell phone number so he can't contact her.

A relative told him that Marianne saw the advertisement.

"She said my wife read the ad and started crying. But so far I've had no response from her," Larry said.

But the ad drew the attention of many other readers, who contacted the paper.

"They want to know if she has responded and if they have worked things out," said Jay Weimar, director of display advertising. "We tell them we are pulling for him."

wow you guys are a tough crowd. It sounds to me like he thinks his marriage and his wife are far more important to him than money. Which is how it should be.

If my significant other got mad at me for spending money in an attempt to repair or salvage our relationship, out of love for him, I'd have to rethink the relationship and what his priorities are.

Abigail,

Are you saying that forgivness can be bought and sold?

Is there a price list published somewhere?

Why not just give her the money?

I thought that if marriage were to work it would require: time, effort, commitment, love, etc... Not allot of disposable income.

IMO, somebody who needs money to be spent on them to give forgiveness is basically a whore.

Z, I think Abi is talking about the gesture more than the price. It appears as though this guy has no other way to get in touch with her. I think it's wonderful that he didn't just give up because she changed her number and made it that much more difficult to talk to him.

Someone who spends $17K on an ad has the money to spend on it. I've worked for a newspaper before and they require payment up front from new customers and private citizens - especially that kind of money.

Geez, like I said - tough crowd.

Nowhere did I say forgiveness can be bought and sold. Can you show me where I said that?

What I said was: "If my significant other got mad at me for spending money in an attempt to repair or salvage our relationship, out of love for him, I'd have to rethink the relationship and what his priorities are. "

Would I be whoring myself out if I spent money on a counsellor? Would I be whoring myself out if I spent money on a romantic night out? Or a book I know he would really enjoy? Would I be whoring myself out if I dressed in something sexy to please my significant other?

Have none of you ever done such things with your spouse/partner? Were YOU whoring yourself out?

Is it the motive or the amount of money that matters most?

I suppose - to some extent the answer to all of the above would depend on the context and situation.

The point was, this guy seems to have not just inwardly acknowledged that he screwed up, but publicly acknowledged it. Additionally, by his actions he said money is no object and nothing is more important to him than his wife.

Finally, he has gone to great lengths to try to communicate his feelings to her.

The responses posted here would indicate that a number of people would be ....ed if their spouse spent that kind of money on them. But no one has bothered to consider WHAT this guy is trying to say to his wife.

On the otherhand, he could be an abusive stalker - sick and twisted. But I am basing my opinion only on what I have perceived from the story posted. So far there has been no information given that would lead me to believe his is an abusive stalker.

I hate that word "whore". There are few words in the english language that can set me off more than that one.

"Is there a price list published somewhere?"

Is there a price list for how much is too much? how much is too little? If I spend $5000 on a gift is it too much? If I spend $5 is it too little and I am then a cheapskate? Or is it the thought and motive that matters.

I've received gifts, both expensive and inexpensive - the price wasn't what was important to me - it was the thought and heart behind the gift. It isn't the amount of money said that sparks an emotional response from me, it is the message behind the gift.

Likewise when giving a gift, I do not spend time worrying over if it costs too much or too little. When I purchase a gift I am doing so to say something. I could be, "I'm sorry" or it could be "I love your" or "I am thinking about you" or even "I am showing my support for you in this new endeavor you have taken up".

If I purchased a gift in an attempt to express an HONEST and GENUINE emotion or thought and my partner got ....ed because I spent too much money, I'd have to wonder if they were more concerned about the money or the relationship.

There is a difference between spending money to "buy someone's forgivness" and spending money to express something - even an apology. I guess ultimately only the giver (and hopefully the recipient) will understand which was the motive.