GreaseSpot Cafe

At what price?

Catcup

My conversation with a dear friend still inside TWI gave me a unique glimpse into the culture that has arisen in the organization since Martindale has left.

He paints a picture of a two-tiered ministry that is growing increasingly polarized between those at HQ or in upper leadership positions and the folks in the basic fellowship unit.

He says that the people in the "leaf" area (so to speak) of this "tree" hold Martindale in open contempt. My friend and others are regular lurkers at this site and seem to understand the culpability of the current leadership at HQ and not only have no respect for Rivenbark and her cronies, but I must admit he even poked fun at her.

There seems to be an understanding that HQ is f****d up, but because they are far away from HQ in their insulated little fellowships, they feel they can run things as they please, preserve and teach the Word they know, and still enjoy the support and fellowship with a larger group of local believers.

These people can also take advantage of a modicum of support from International Headquarters in teachings, classes, and events, etc. Although he did say those tapes from HQ are so booooooooooooooooring!

My friend recently bought a house which relieved him of any leadership responsibilities. In other words, he can no longer run a fellowship.

However, he is allowed to teach one from time to time, which he does enjoy. Hey, now look at that: He has the joy of teaching, but none of the responsibility or accountability of running a fellowship, and can still have his own home and build an investment.

And, being busted back to no leadership responsibilities in effect puts him in nearly a "retired" status. Relieved of decades of high pressure Corps involvement and leadership responsibilities, he can "enjoy" the fellowship, and not have to go to endless boring leaders meetings.

Nor does he have to take the heat for enforcing or protecting his people from stupid dictums from HQ. And he is thankfully exempt from having to attend events for which he is "disqualified" because he has a mortgage.

So the fact of the matter is, he can pretty much do as he damn well pleases, snub his nose at the folks at HQ, have his home, and enjoy the fellowship and support of the believers.

It seems like he's got the best of both worlds.

Until you examine it closer.

And you will see that this comes with a cost.

When I asked him if he knew Rivenbark et al were complicit in covering up Martindale's evil acts against his brothers and sisters, how could he continue to financially support them, he simply said "I don't care."

I really hope he didn't mean that. I really hope he simply hasn't allowed himself to deeply consider what evil he is supporting and is now mulling over the consequences of financial support of someone who would cover up illegal wrongdoing.

Because if he and other believers consciously know they are supporting a woman whom the judges seem to indicate they believe is hiding something, if they know this woman for whom they seem to hold in contempt is involved in wrongdoing, and they don't care, what does that say about them?

It says that they have sold out their conscience.

And for what?

So you can still hang out with the same group of "loving" folks who also have sold out their consciences?

Where in God's Word does it say you should put up with evil at the highest level of ministry?

You sit and say nothing and pay your wicked dime so that you can still hang out in a ministry that did untold evil to your brothers and sisters?

My friend told me he knew that Martindale had his way with many women and made evil decisions that hurt hundreds of people, but if The Way came out and apologized it would open them up to a ton of lawsuits.

So what, justice should not prevail?

It's ok to know this ministry did evil to people you love and not hold them accountable to make restitution?

It's ok to sit back and put up with evil in order for you to be comfortable in your little home, enjoy a few benefits, poke fun at the higher-ups at HQ for their stupid decisions that bring evil results to untold numbers of innocent people?

It's easier to ignore the consequences of evil than to risk your comfortable status.

Does ignoring the fact they hurt untold numbers of people help you sleep at night?

Ignoring the fact that your abundant sharing supports an evil caball of wicked liars so that you can enjoy your "retirement" is the right thing to do?

To know that evil is present and not remove either it or yourself is hypocrisy.

You don't care?

It seems you have either spoken presumptuously or you have sold your birthright for a mess of pottage.

Catcup

quote:
It's easier to ignore the consequences of evil than to risk your comfortable status.

Ain't that what life's about? Being comfortable? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Seriously though, seems to me that's what The Way, Inc. has always been about. Maybe this sounds harsh, but I find it hard to believe that someone who is a corps person, who is still in, has any other concerns than themselves.

I would love to be proved wrong. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I think about this one often concerning my late husband's family, still in twi.

Is it really worth it to them to miss out on his two amazing daughters?

Is it really worth it to them to lose so many memories, and so much love?

What do they really think when they are all alone and think of our daughters? Do they pretend they don't exist? What kind of mental illness has to kick in to forget that Kelly looks like a carbon copy of daddy? What, to forget that Samantha has his incredible love and tenderness and brilliance? A family that believes they should not have that in their lives?

What a shame that they'll give up his children for a ministry that fills in the pitiful gaps with false affection and lies. Does my children's grandmother never wish she could see them, hold them, talk to them?

When Kelly asked me if daddy had a mommy and why didn't she like her, I had to tell that sweet face that yes he did, but daddy's mommy chooses to be one of the sad people that choose to not know love.

"She must be lonely" Kelly said.

My faith teaches we must endure to the end as followers of Jesus Christ. (this isn't going to be a religious discussion so don't worry icon_smile.gif:)-->)

Enduring to the end means doing right even when not doing right is easier, more materially profitable and in keeping with society as a whole.

The reality is that ALL of us have taken the easier comfortable path at some time.

Like the wife who ignores her husbands infidelities for the creature comforts she enjoys.

The worker who ignores his bosses illegal activities because the Job is so perfect--

the list is endless

Catcups' friend has the material comforts he desires, nice home, few responsibilities, can choose where to go and when. The idyllic life according to societal standards.

Usually when you are in your comfort zone you don't leave until the zone ceases to exist--know as hitting rock bottom in some circles

Just pray that when his zone collapses that the results are merely a wakeup and nothing more tragic

From where I sit, as a spouse of an "innie", I don't see much of a dichotomy between the upper echelon and the average "leaf". If my hubby is any indication, they have successfully managed to hoodwink the masses into believing that the evil began and ended with LCM. Innies believe that things have "changed" (and indeed, they have on many superficial levels). And sadly, these changes are enough for many of them. They can once again "put it on auto-pilot" and hit the snooze button.

"Auto pilot." "Snooze button." After well over 15 years with TWI, THAT is what I felt drew many. From my first twig meeting, I saw people who could spout wayferisms but couldn't explain them. Had cutesy one-liners but didn't have the ability to open a Bible and walk someone through the new birth or anything else if it deviated from what they saw in a class.

My guess is Catcup's friend is not alone in his desire. There were so many who just wanted the world to be made simple and clear. Simple to the point of not really requiring any thought. I've made this point here before. LCM used to say all the time how people ran to slavery. Maybe he was right and knew it. "Don't think, don't worry about bad stuff and we'll tell you that you are a great believer."

Shellon's comment is something I have thought of many times. What happens to people like this when the bubble breaks? If it doesn't in this life, it most assuredly will in the next.

My hope is that they will be forced to face life as it has been and not what someone told them it was.

Did you ask him if they cared about where the foundational teachings of PFAL emanated from? Does he even know about the plagiarism of BG Leonard's works as well as the works of so many others?

Does he or she still believe in the "Way of Abundance and Power" teachings? That the Word IS over the World? He may blow off LCM's adulterous acts - but does he believe adultery is wrong?

Agree with him or not, Richard Clark just apologized to the families of the 3,000 WTC victims. Does that make him culpable, will they sue him because he apologized? I don't think so. Therefore the arguement that TWI won't apologize because it will "open them up to a ton of lawsuits" is bogus.

Besides, the statute of limitations has probably run out on most of LCM's acts of debauchery. What's their excuse for no apologies in this case? Actually, it might be a good time to come clean - it's been over 3 years since he was given the boot.

But they won't. IMO, it's not in TWI's nature to admit any wrong teaching or any wrong-doing. I've never seen it happen, at least not in any genuine, selfless, unprompted way. I can only recall them admitting they were wrong when they "improved" a certain teaching - with the self-serving, false humility that tried to show how meek they were in admitting they were wrong - "but we got it right now!".

If your friend has been around for any length of time - he needs a good dose of retrospect. I'm glad he's comfortable in his own little world. (Could it be LLP?)!

"Catcups' friend has the material comforts he desires, nice home, few responsibilities, can choose where to go and when. The idyllic life according to societal standards.

Usually when you are in your comfort zone you don't leave until the zone ceases to exist" - MO

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reminds me of why TWI sent us out as WOW Ambassadors for Christ...to go to a new area outside of our comfort zone so we can grow.

Look how much we have grown since getting the boot out of twi.

Last Sunday's sermon was about sending missionaries to Denver CO. Why? To serve better OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONE.

You twi insiders, GO and GROW with God. Two-thirds of GOD is GO. Unfortunately, you cannot "bloom where you are planted" because it is stoney ground. I pray that you can say someday, "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE'RE FREE AT LAST!!" (like Martin Kuther King in his "I have a dream" speech)

I think the reason they will NOT apologize is not about LCM as much as it is about the FOUNDATION on which they stand.

If they say, "We are sorry that LCM used woman, seduced young girls and diabolically used the word to get them to take off their pants..."

Then, they would have to stop doing it. They do not want to stop it. Because it really wasn't a Craig thing but a VPW thing... The founding father....

If they came out and said things like, "we know we cancelled meetings to which many of you traveled so that VPW could have an afternoon in bed with a corps gal he was healing...." Then, they would have to admit they were liars and covering up evil practices.

If they said, "Let's get back to loving twigs and the PFAL material...." They would have to again address that the loving things taught via PFAL were hijacked from another man's ministry, classes and books.

It would be a lot to admit...

And it would be mean they would have to STOP those practices. IMO, they have no intention of stopping the "help yourself sex policies" the leaders practice. They cannot straighten out because the whole thing was founded on one sick mother ph*ker named VP. And if they get back to the beginning it would still be corrupt.

Perhaps, if they stood up and said we found the basis for our success were principals found by "other men of God" and that VPW perverted and use those scriptures for self-gain. We find this reprehensible regardless of whether it is VPW or Mother Teresa. We here by admit we will no longer tolerate "Free sex and seduction" of believers. We hereby adhere to the values of marriage. We recognize our materials have been hijacked from BG Leonard and other ministers. The promise of God VPW claimed to hear was also hijacked from Leonard. We have found that all good thing we EVER experienced came from God and the works of legitimate ministers and we are sorry.

We are finding a new way back to God. And henceforth will be called "A new way home" and recognize those great men who contributed to our growth like BG Leonard. We will thank the Weirwille's for the farm but he will be shown, as he really was, an old fat pervert.

We are on our knees for forgiveness and are calling in some people who did not participate in the sex and other problems but did stand up to our faces and demand change. We did not listen but we are now.

Then (okay it is my fantasy) they bring in Socks, Alphacat, Raf, Zixar, Wordwolf, Garth, Hope and John, Tom Strange, Shellon, Tom Strange, Excathedra, The Evan, Greek2Me, Long Gone, Jaridino, Ex10 and others as “the board”. And they, the current generals, step down.

Then, I would return!

Edited by Dot Matrix

Waybrain conditioned closeminded ect I am married to an innie too.Will not accept the fact that somthing is wrong.

Twi will not change,They will not accept responsibility for their actions,but they expect their followers to do whatever they say

hmmm the servant is not above their master

guess they forgot that one

They have always been an elite organization

who are above the rest of the body

I guess as long as she stays with me there is hope The way better never get tween me and her

all I can say My life is better now without the crap of the cult,

Gods word is his word not theirs and guess what

it still works outside their dumb cult

quote:
Originally posted by Dot Matrix:

Then (okay it is my fantasy) they bring in Socks, Alphacat, Raf, Zixar, Wordwolf, Garth, Hope and John, Tom Strange, Shellon, Tom Strange, Excathedra, The Evan, Greek2Me, Long Gone, Jaridino, Ex10 and others as “the board”. And they, the current generals, step down.

Then, I would return!

Can I come to lead songs????

my recent converstation..mostly them telling me how wonderful TWI is now...(while standing in the Wal-mart near by...concurrs with CHerished Child's perspective.

This was someone who had been in the meeting (an actual ice cream social) that delcared my husband and I posessed yadda yadda yadda. She hugged me and went on about how it has changed and all this other stuff. I really didn't want to give her the third degree, so I chose instead to be polite, and did tell her a couple things about our successes SINCE leaving TWI...over her head I'm sure....

She did not invite me to come which is fine bcasue although I would have continued to be polite, I would have maintained a vehement NO.