GreaseSpot Cafe

It's ok to need help

ex10

I've been talking to/working with lots of Senior Citizens lately, due to our new business venture.

One thing that I've noticed is that many seniors don't like to admit that they need help with everyday activities.

I've thought alot about TWI, and how there was always some kind of shame in admitting that help was needed. PFAL was supposed to be THE ANSWER for all of life's situations, and if it wasn't, then we just weren't "believing."

How sad! There was so much potential to really serve one another, but because of the teachings, ie PFAL is the instant solution to all of life, we missed so many opportunities.

I think this is quite the opposite of what Jesus was/is all about.

Any thoughts?

Ex10,

Interesting, because of the time period and different *ministries* we were in.

After you left and TWI became the walled city, and even more when all of us that remained crossed the bridge (no one ever saw) into the Promised Land of the Pervert’s Word, having a need was absolutely a sign of weakness.

*Followers* would choose to act as if everything was fine and never talk about problems or needs, as these always lead to numerous confrontations because, BECAUSE your believing was screwed up!

This reminds me of people being told they were using to much of their leaders time getting over their weakness so they needed to go on spiritual probation and come back when they were no longer a burden.

Too much of the leaders precious time? Funny, what happened to the chiefest being the greatest servant??????

quote:
Originally posted by ex10:

I've been talking to/working with lots of Senior Citizens lately, due to our new business venture.

One thing that I've noticed is that many seniors don't like to admit that they need help with everyday activities.

Ex-10th,

dealing with my own parents in their 80's, I'm finding this to be the case as well - I tend to think it's more a generational thing, I guess.

My mother is finally opening up to the fact that she needs more help and assistance in dealing with my father ( whose memory is going), and is finally (with the prodding of my brother and I) opening up to exploring what programs are available. I can see the burden being lifted off her, that she doesn't have to deal with this situation herself.

My father, on the other hand - he's ....ed, as if expecting my mother to wait on him hand and foot for another 50 years. Sorry old man, but she deserves to truly retire and enjoy her remaining time on earth as well.

Danny

Ex10,

TWI often made fun of people in need.

The Gospels have many records of people coming to Jesus who he didn't even KNOW! His reputation was such that they were sure he could and would help them. And there was no internet to pass the word around. That's pretty strong word of mouth.

"I think this is quite the opposite of what Jesus was/is all about."

If TWI were to vote today on God's plan to have one of their own to die for total strangers who may or may not agree with them, it seem unlikely they would approve the plan. Thankfully, I think you're right. His followers too. Even after the Word was over the world (to use TWI's expression), Paul continued to help strangers. Acts 27, he comforts sailors on his ship when God tells him they'll be shipwrecked. The angel told Paul. Why worry about some dumb, old unbelievers? Why indeed. Paul ministered to them. Something tells me they weren't all AC grads either. ;-)

Great post.

Funny how Acts 2 is that the extras were for the ones that had need.

And the gift ministries was for the perfecting of the saints.

Why give if there was no need and why prefect if everyone is prefect.

The mind is a wonderful and terrible thing whe a preson is depresed they need so much to talk and be talked to and all that was cut off because it was weakness.

Ex, It has been difficult to ask for help. In my head that means I'm weak or am imperfect. TWI really screw me up for years with that one. There was always an emotional consequence to asking for help. Thank God I joined the rest of the world and allowed myself to "be human". What a relief it is to say,"I don't know,I can't do this,I'm not sure,I don't understand,I'm not that strong and I'm in pain".

It is good to be alive with imperfections. That is a part of my uniqueness and I embrace it all.

Yeah, good thoughts here.

Danny, last night I read Acts 1-13 in the Message, and what really struck me was the fact that the early church grew and multiplied was because those that had need, came, and were filled. Everybody gave, however they could, and followed the example of the Master.

It was just the opposite in TWI, were those that had need were turned away. How sad.

Jesus was in the business of taking care of people, not matter what was going on. and that's what he taught his followers.

Maybe it's just human nature, but I've noticed that many of us, especially as we age, don't like to be dependent on anybody for anything.

Sometimes I wonder if TWI got away with what they did, was partially because there weren't that many older folk around who could teach us that life isn't always the same as when we're 20 something or 30 something. It changes, and as we grow older, we need our loved ones more, not less.

This I know, most people, at the end of their lives, cherish their RELATIONSHIPS with loved ones, above all else. That seems to be the most important thing. Not what they did for a living, where they lived, who they knew socially, etc.

Somehow, who's around right here, right now becomes the most important thing. And if you spent your life running people off, it's pretty lonely at the end of it all.

I took my father-in-law to the barber shop today. It's the first time we've gone there together. He's going to turn 88 in a few weeks, and he's suffering from early stages of Alzheimers. He shaved himself until a few weeks ago, then he forgot how to do it. I tried shaving him once, and decided it was a job for a pro.

We went to a Big League Barbers shop. There was only one barber there, a lady. I think she was the manager. She was so tender and sweet with Charlie. She helped him get in and out of the chairs, and held his hand as he walked between them. She was very patient. She had Charlie comb his hair so she could see how he wanted it to look. She used a straight razor on Charlie's "wattles", and never nicked him, not even once. She jollied him along the whole time, and helped me walk him back out to the van.

What service! What an example!

Love,

Steve

Aw, Still, thanks for saying that! heart.gif

And Steve, it's amazing what small acts of kindness can do for people, isn't it? Especially those who can't do for themselves.

The funny thing is, once you let people know that it's okay to need help, and then you actually HELP them, their whole perspective on life can change. I can't help but think how different TWI would have been, if people knew it was ok to need help sometimes. And there was no shame in asking for it. Sheesh, that's why people come to Jesus Christ in the first place, not because we have it all together, but because we don't.

I wonder how it all got so convoluted....

This denial of being in need is something that I am paying the price for today.

Denial is not equal to "believing"...unless you're in twi.

The bible talks of faith. TWI talks of "believing".

The bible talks of trust. TWI talks of doing something to prove something.

The bible talks of patience. TWI talks of wasting time.

The bible talks of longsuffering. TWI talks of "spiritual probation".

The bible talks of feeding his sheep. TWI talks of colon cleanses, starvation diets and athletic prowess.

The bible talks of giving. TWI talks of paying.

The bible talks of bringing needs and concerns to the body. TWI talks of a locked box and calls it "spirtual maturity" to keep things silent.

Of course, twi can't even corner this market of psuedo-christianity...the offshoots are doing it quite well...as well as many of the organizations calling themselves "not-for-profit".

Is it any wonder that by time one reaches an age to be called "senior", one would distrust anybody's kindness?

I think the twi(t)s foster mental health issues on numerous levels. The inability to admit needing help, feeling depressed, sad or upset over something is not a good thing and leads people to spiral down or self-medicate with drugs and/or alcohol.

I wish there was some way to sue them over things like that. A class action lawsuit for people who have had to get therapy because of their involvement with the twi(t)s. I've seen it happen too many times in my invovlement with them. Then these people are tossed out on their a** and everyone close to them is told that they are possessed (see the Leviathan thread).

• 2 years later...

People don't like having their lives controlled by others. My mother went 7 years without having a regular physical check up when she was in her 70s. I thought that odd until I met more and more seniors like that. What's to stop a doctor from making a senior undergo multiple tests they don't really need and prescribing medication they don't really need just because they are seniors? Face it, some doctors are only in it for the money. They don't really care about what's best for people. There's a lot of seniors who want to keep their anonymity and independence as long as they can.

Oops. This thread's about TWI, not old people. Silly me.

This is a great thread. Thanks for bringing it back.

Yeah, good thoughts here.

Sometimes I wonder if TWI got away with what they did, was partially because there weren't that many older folk around who could teach us that life isn't always the same as when we're 20 something or 30 something. It changes, and as we grow older, we need our loved ones more, not less.

This I know, most people, at the end of their lives, cherish their RELATIONSHIPS with loved ones, above all else. That seems to be the most important thing. Not what they did for a living, where they lived, who they knew socially, etc.

Somehow, who's around right here, right now becomes the most important thing. And if you spent your life running people off, it's pretty lonely at the end of it all.

I remember being very smug about having great health back in my twenties, because I was doing the Word. Co- workers, relatives etc would have all types of health problems, and I attributed their problems to not knowing the rightly divided word and believing etc. The whole aging factor never entered my mind!

Twenty years later, still in TWI, it became a huge issue when my husband developed a chronic illness. Not a bit of compassion--it was a cause for spiritual suspicion of 'weakness.' Just what the family needed at that time--scrutiny and micromanagement!

It was somewhat of a shock to find out, as time went by and we left TWI, that other people actually have compassion and perform acts of kindness when friends co workers etc have a medical situation. When I was quite ill last winter, other parents at my kids schools offered to transport them home after all the after school events they were involved in...not a big thing, but it sure helped with our day to day activities. I was very thankful.

Edited by Bramble

I've been talking to/working with lots of Senior Citizens lately, due to our new business venture.One thing that I've noticed is that many seniors don't like to admit that they need help with everyday activities.I've thought alot about TWI, and how there was always some kind of shame in admitting that help was needed. PFAL was supposed to be THE ANSWER for all of life's situations, and if it wasn't, then we just weren't "believing."

How sad! There was so much potential to really serve one another, but because of the teachings, ie PFAL is the instant solution to all of life, we missed so many opportunities.

I think this is quite the opposite of what Jesus was/is all about.Any thoughts?

So true, Ex10 !!!! And I like what WordWolf said - humans need humans! Grizzy's line was a real zinger and bears repeating: "This reminds me of people being told they were using to much of their leaders time getting over their weakness so they needed to go on spiritual probation and come back when they were no longer a burden.".......Grizzy - that makes me think we misunderstood a slogan of the Way Corps - "a lifetime of Christian service" - maybe TWI mentality was more along the lines of "the common folk" serving leaders.

Edited by T-Bone

i have worked with seniors for over forty years.

I can tell you some storys myself.

people just getting involved in this "business" tend to see aging as a cute and fuzzy time with dear old folks sweet as pie needing YOU which indeed makes it all about your own self and how YOU feel as in any care taking situation.

as johniham sais many are not into this and want to stay independent and not be used by care takers to use them to feel good for the day for their own lack of abilty to gnerate respect or dignity towards one in the aging process.

I was 20 years old when i found out the reality of what this business really is without the delusion of self grandness and feel good attitude.

A sweet little old lady she was so very kind and patient often asking for her daughter and speaking of how much she loved her soo.

and the daughter rarely came and then one day she did and brought the needed supplies and took care of what needed to be taken care of.

I said to her (totaly out of line I was !!)

you know you mom is the aweetest lady I know she asks for youoften and is so happy when you can come.

the daughter middle age herself turned to me and said

" my mother is a monster she abused and used evry perosn she ever came into contact with her entire life .. she is a horrid person and now that she can fool a stupid little girl such as yourself that she is so needy and cute because she is older youbelieve every need that comes out of her mouth."

I do what i have to for my mom because she is my mother and has no one eles but do not fool yourself the person you see in that wheel chair is a cruel evil woman and I owe her nothing at all.

If a elderly person has been needy all their life they will relish in this time of being cared for and give you all the kudos you NEED to feel good.

If the person was and wants to be independent they will and should fight every minute you attempt to take away their life and their own choices.

respect and dignity are very important and so very many in this growing field.. Some think their need to rescue or feel good about their own self comes before anothers and they end up diminishing another in the process of aging and dying, for their own self worth.

why do you think the turn over is so high? people come thinking you will stop the process of death itself or at least make it more comfortable .. it is imposible no one knows aging better than the aged and to attempt to help them.. do what ? understand that a another part of their very life is fading away ? it is a disgrace and it hurts.

the position of rescuer is famous in so many co-dependent people. it is a problem in this field and not appreciated at all .

that is why so many burn out or lose their job. or run a place that is a mess .

frankly it just doenst work with healthy people old or not.

When need is present it often includes a large amount of resentment and anger consider this in your assessment on why one would rather not ask.

yes that sweet little old lady is ....ed off and you as a care taker may never even hear the word about it (because she NEEDS you) but trust me plenty of us who have done this all their life have and do.

you not nearly as cherished as you want to stroke yourself with , what you are is a reminder that death is a slow god awful project for some people without any choices left.

Our self respect and dignity grows as we rely on our self to become the people we are met to be fully no one can achive this being codependent on another .

yes we need one another.. to be full and healthy humans capable of doing and being all that we can be in this world.. when one has the power or the desire to control another in any way with money , personal choices , it can and often does decay that person and their own sense of self .

Edited by pond

People.

People who need people.

Are the luckiest people in the world.

sung by Barbara Streisand

Seriously, I believe this. If you need someone you are in a position to have people in your life. If you REMEMBER that you need people, you are more likely to not abuse the people in your life.

How did a ministry that spent so much time touting that it knew the mystery and understood the One Body, get to the place that it separated people from people? Family members, friends, so-workers, fellow "believers" - how many of us left at least one person in these categories behind because he or she didn't believe as we did. Heck, I can only imagine how the whole "mark and avoid" era furthered the isolation.

When i was marked i was so upset for weeks if not months i was totaly devasated.

today given the same circumstance i wouldnt even give it two thoughts.

it is still people it is still relationships I had invested in it is still a comintment.. but if it all went away today i would be ok.

yesterday i went to the water and visted the folks on their boats and ships it so much fun... then i went to a new computer store and found the excitment and happiness from the new owner working ten hours a day with a smile on his face.

I need these people .. it makes life grand!

a family memeber reminding me about the time I was ten and I did something ummm sorry not so much.

I look at the world as my place to live my place to share my place to be loved. and to love.

if a person or a relationship is to much to take any more time in my life I do NOT need them.

I need my car fixed my carpet shampooed and all types of services done and it is by people and that is all good.

I do not need other peple drama other peoples negative crap.

twi wanted folks to learn how to not need the despair some folks can bring our life to "travel Light" to me means to be able to reach the light without being encased in the darkness those who are troubled or miserable love you keep you in.

that is what professionals are for and why they get paid very well....

and maybe why so many are afraid to seek the help that is out there.

people want to be be stuck in toxic relationships because as long as you can talk about somone eles woes and troubles you can not focus on making your own life happy and fullfilled.

In reality no one can change anyone eles. We can only be and change our own self.

I have had some friends for my entire life yet i look for a new friend today and tommorrow and forever.

isolation to a praticular brings a very lonely life in a crowd.