GreaseSpot Cafe

Ayn Rand's Anthem - It will ROCK you

waterbuffalo

Alfakat mentioned Ayn Rand's name on another thread and it brought to mind her novellette, Anthem. If you have not read this, please do. It describes, to a tee, wayworld and the people in it (not us, but we can relate to it because that's how we used to be--some of us more so than others--but all to varying degrees at one time).

Anyway, the parallels are eerie. It's set in the world after the big one was dropped and these are the remaining people on earth and their society as it developed and how they were governed. If you want a good, short read. I recommend it highly.

Take care,

WB

quote:
Or merely in comparison with Atlas Shrugged & The Fountainhead? I'm tempted, so long as I don't totally fall off in total Rand-ism again...

My first reaction exactly. She's a wordy and engaging author that can tie you up for weeks. I don't particularly sign off on her idealogy, but I will credit her with some excellent writing.

I've made this pitch before, but what the hay,

Former Wayfers might enjoy reading "Judgement Day" by Nathaniel Branden. He was a major player in the inner circle of Ayn Rand's, uh, er, cul.., organization. (He was also her lover for a time).

Anyway, the parallels to WayWorld will be evident to anyone. An eyeopener for me when I first left TWI, and a good read besides...

Rand writes:

quote:
To be free, a man must be free of his brothers. That is freedom. This and nothing else.

But the question is, is that the way God wants or desires us to live? Being free from our brothers? Being free from everything else, except our own egos to relish and worship?

quote:
You think religion is for suckers and easy marks and moddly cuddlers, eh. You think Jesus Christ was some kind of sissy?!!? Well, let me tell you, Jesus wouldn't be afraid to walk into this joint or any other joint to preach the Gospel. Jesus had guts
Elmer Gantry

icon_smile.gif:)-->

There is a John Galt Blvd. up in Omaha. The studios of a major FM radio station are located there; occassionally one of the morning guys will go off on a "Who Is John Galt?" rant.

I haven't yet gotten to the point in the book where John Galt appears, but I did skip ahead and saw that he does icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

...and Oldiesman, you don't get the quote, if I may be so bold. Giving to one's "brothers" is slavery when it is under compulsion. Rand's characters can be giving, but resist when it is forced upon them.

quote:
Posted by Oakspear:

There is a John Galt Blvd. up in Omaha. The studios of a major FM radio station are located there; occassionally one of the morning guys will go off on a "Who Is John Galt?" rant.

Is that a supportive, or denigrating "rant"?? icon_confused.gif:confused:--> John Galt can polarize people just like Mike! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I read Atlas Shrugged many years ago, and enjoyed it. It did take a while to wade through it though. Especially John Galt's radio broadcast in the latter part of the book. Seems like that went on forever! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

WB -- I'll be "on the hunt" for Anthem. Thanks. And Geo -- I'll be looking for Judgement Day also. They both sound good.

I enjoyed 'Atlas Shrugged,' read it just a few (~5) years ago. Also read 'Anthem,' but much longer ago - high school. "We" liked that book, too.

I admit skipping over several pages of of 'Atlas Shrugged,' I just didn't have the patience to read every word of those "streams of conciousness."

'The Fountainhead' is one of Rand's I haven't read yet, but plan to, once I finish the LeCarre' and Clancy books that I'm currently reading.

----------

Per

quote:
...and Oldiesman, you don't get the quote, if I may be so bold. Giving to one's "brothers" is slavery when it is under compulsion. Rand's characters can be giving, but resist when it is forced upon them.

Oakspear,

In God's Kingdom, he expects us to give, doesn't he? I don't see where we are true free agents, doing what our own egos feel like doing, and that way being acceptable with God. I think Rands views, and Libertarianism in general, desirable as they may be, are not compatible with true Christianity, for Christians are compelled to do good and obey God's Laws, not to feed to the dictates of their own egos. And in the Third Heaven and Earth, will things be any different? You think you'll be free? Free to do what you will? You remember the word slavery is not a bad word in the bible, for good reason.

Oldies, Rand was an unapologetic atheist. Her points generally cannot be argued within the context of Christianity, or metaphysics of any kind. But let me make my point using your book:

quote:
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudging, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

OM,

Where did you get such a twisted view of the message of Christ? Aren't we called to act from love as God acted from love when he gave His Son? Where do you find that God compels us to act from any other place. Sure, He asks us to submit to His Will but even that is to be done from love not from a sense of duty as a slave for a master. Didn't Paul express this clearly in I Corinthians 13 "if I...have not charity, I am nothing."?

TWI was able to manipulate us because we allowed them to define what our duties were. If you accept the idea that God made us to be "duty-bots" then it is no wonder why you look back on your days in TWI-1 so glowingly.

Oenophile,

I think this topic is an interesting discussion and worth exploring. I do see some of the differences between what Rand is saying, and what Christianity/twi/other religions are espousing. The fact that Rand is an atheist fits right in with it. Hey, I'm not knocking it. I like Libertarian stuff, and as a political system, I think it's the best. All I'm saying is, the idea that we are our own gods, and we are totally free to follow our own egos, so to speak, just doesn't seem to fit with the bible and Christianity.

What about the third heavens and earth? have you thought about it at all? what's it going to be like as far as you having free will? in other words, if the Lord asks you to jump, will you be able to politely decline and go to McDonalds for a Big Mac?

• 2 weeks later...

Oldies said:

quote:
I don't see where we are true free agents, doing what our own egos feel like doing, and that way being acceptable with God.

Yes, Oldies, to answer your question, I DO believe we are truly free agents. Adam AND Jesus proved that. They just made different choices.

As Oenophile said, when we CHOOSE to follow what we believe God wants us to do out of love, that is what He asks us to do because what we do outside of love = nothing.