GreaseSpot Cafe

First Thought

shazdancer

shazdancer,

I put this same post on my Doctrinal thread to try and not spread myself too thin on too many threads, but I see think it got buried there pretty fast. Here it is again:

I do remember being taught "first thought," but not so much by Dr in the AC. When I took that class in 1975, I had already heard so much about it from others that I kept my ears open, but heard little to none about it.

Maybe it was is in my syllabus, but I think it was largely removed by '75 from his teaching. Maybe that was because Dr saw it was being abused, or not understood well enough.

I do know for sure that Jack Kerouac was a big proponent of "first thought" and that he even used that exact phrase in describing his writing style. Maybe that's where Dr got it. Some principles that work for one side may work for the other as well. * (see footnote)

Possibly Dr's teaching "first thought" was useful to some for some time, but he seemed to remove it by 1975.

I have recently done a thorough search of Dr's 1979 AC tapes and there is NO mention of "first thought" in that class at all.

Still it might have been briefly mentioned in the syllabus, but it is NOT in the "16 keys to Walking in the Spirit" list that is in that syllabus.

-----------

* (FOOTNOTE) I have a John Gnagey "Learn to Draw" graphic art set from the 50's. He was a famous TV artist back then. In the instruction book he has some lines that also found their way into Dr's teachings. Dr certainly "drew" upon many sources, just like he told us. I'll have to look them up some time. They are not "first thought" lines though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hoo boy, I don't even want to think about first thought... was that my first thought?

Like somebody said, WHERE IS the first thought?

First thought starting when?

I was so glad to get out and just start trying to use my brain to figure things out best I could and not worry about "revelation".

I told God, Hey you wanna tell me something, you're gonna have to scream it at me because I'm just sick of trying to figure out if you're telling me anything. So maybe He does, maybe He doesn't, he11 if I know.

...OK, so I reach up into the damn cookie jar and then what?...maybe you get it, maybe you don't?...I STILL have a first thought...How am I supposed to tell the difference as to whether the cookie jar was empty or there was a "goodie" in there for me? I have no problem telling the difference between my own thoughts and somebody else talking to me...I imagine that if God were to speak to me, I shouldn't have any problems telling the difference between God talking and my own thoughts!...

A cult that has people second guessing as to whether their own thoughts are really their own...or are coming in from another source... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> Reminds me of an Xmen episode...

In the later Martindale years the teaching was that God would tell you in a way that you would be sure that it was him. That makes sense, but the only way most people "knew" it was God talking to them was if the "revelation" came true, if it didn't, well, it wasn't God. But there still wasn't a clear-cut way to tell ahead of time whether it was revelation or not

Oh, hell yeah, Uncle H, hell yeah.

Some of these guys put on such a good show that they were receiving "heavy revy" from God, and if you weren't getting it, you could easily feel like you were missing it.

Or the idiots who would constantly be walking around saying how "Father told me this" and "Father told me that". Asking "Father" what way to turn at an intersection, what to have for dinner...aaaaauuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Do you remember this suz?

We were traveling in a 13 car caravan from seattle up through canada to the ROA. The guy that was leading the caravan had a meeting and told us he got heavy revy when he was taking a dump...great revelation, huh? anim-smile.gifanim-smile-blue.gif

quote:
We were traveling in a 13 car caravan from seattle up through canada to the ROA. The guy that was leading the caravan had a meeting and told us he got heavy revy when he was taking a dump...great revelation, huh? anim-smile.gifanim-smile-blue.gif

Whadda-man-of-god!! icon_eek.gif

I'm guessing his *heavy revy* was somehow distinguishable from the stuff he flushed, eh? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ex10...Yes, I do remember when JAL apologized for teaching "first thought"...and a lot of other things too.

"Leaders" who acted spiritual...that should be a thread itself...I think about it now and I laugh...how they would pace around with a wrinkled brow, and then suddenly...ZAP! The revy has arrived! That knowing look, that confident bounce in their steps, that title on their nametag...scheeesh, we shoulda handed out Oscars.

Remember how Grifter Vic would say..."My earthly father can do a better job than that!"...

Well how about revelation? When my dad would speak to me, he had the uncanny ability to distinguish himself from my own thoughts...never once, when he spoke to me, did I ever wonder..."Is that my dad talking or is it just my own thought?" Imagine that.

...But the cornfield preacher convinced everybody that when the creator of the heaven and earth speaks to us, it comes in a the form resembling our own thoughts...how convieeeeeenient.

When I left twi, I vowed to never again PRETEND that God was speaking to me...When ANYBODY speaks to me, determining the source of the speaker has never been a problem...All Wierwille did was confuse people with his catch 22 parlor games.

LOL, Unca Hairy, I made the same kind of pact with God, telling Him He would have to hit me over the head with revelation if He wanted to give me any, 'cuz I needed to know it was Him and not me.

I can recall Wierwille saying things at the Rock as well, saying that God had showed him who the government agents were in the audience, stuff like that. Made us all kinda go "ooh, wow, heavy stuff" and look around. 'Course, such an admission flew in the face of all he'd taught about revelation (what's the profit? and don't go around blabbing about what God told you), but principles never stopped a grifter from wowing a crowd.

Regards,

Shaz

Interesting... I was a "government agent" at the time I was in TWI. Just so you don't get the wrong idea, I was not an investigator, nor was I investigating the ministry (or anyone/thing else for that matter). Could be that VPW was "detecting" people like me (I never met VPW). Just happened that I was a cihpargotpyrc tech for for the NSA at the time.

VP never said that these "government agents" were investigators, did he? icon_redface.gif:o--> Didn't think so. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Technobyte