GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

The MC5 album show was on Halloween night in '68 after the show we all went out on Grand River and "played with matches" so to speak in the MC tradition, of course ....Iggy...remember Iggy & the stooges, and Lou Reed actually doin' Heroin on stage, instead of just singing about it.... these arena shows today don't hold a candle

Go ahead waysider your turn

Edited by wasway

Sorry-------I thought it was still Wasway's turn since I didn't actually say:

KICK OUT THE JAMS!(Brothers and Sisters :wink2: )------MC5

Whisper to me ,tell me do you love me true,

Or is he holding you the way I do?

Though love is blind, make up your mind.

I've got to know.

Edited by waysider

Wasway----------I know what you mean about Bernie writing all of them but he actually did not write this one.

By the time ole "what's his name" got a hold of it, it had already been covered several time by people more famous than him. When my dad tended bar in the early 60's there were three songs that played almost constantly on the jukebox: "Crazy"(Patsy Cline), "Paper Roses"(Connie Francis) and this one which went on to being named in the Country Hall of Fame as one of the top songs of all time.

Wasway----------I know what you mean about Bernie writing all of them but he actually did not write this one.

By the time ole "what's his name" got a hold of it, it had already been covered several time by people more famous than him. When my dad tended bar in the early 60's there were three songs that played almost constantly on the jukebox: "Crazy"(Patsy Cline), "Paper Roses"(Connie Francis) and this one which went on to being named in the Country Hall of Fame as one of the top songs of all time.

OK, I don't know the song, but I was thinking the references to Bernie was Bernie Taupin which would have made the artist Elton John. But if it was country, then probably not cause I don't think he ever did a country song.

Rick

Wasway & Bluzeman---------Elton John did indeed cover this tune. It was originally popularized by a "cross-over" country artist. That's what makes this a great tune; it can't be confined to one genre.

To demonstrate this, note that it has also been covered by Elvis, Nat King Cole, Roxy Music, Ry cooder and on and on. I think you know the tune, now we just need the name of the artist that made it a hit.

The only thing I am thinking of from your lyrics is a Jim Reeves song, one that I seriously doubt that Sir Elton would have touched. :). And even at that, the lyrics you posted would fit the metre of the song I'm thinking of. I only know the first few lines of it so I'm probably WAY off base.

If no one guesses it soon, tell us who it is. Curiosity is killing me!

Rick

Bluzeman----------

Please don't take this "personally"!

:biglaugh:

Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone.

Let's pretend that we're together all alone.

I'll tell the man to turn the jukebox way down low.

And you can tell the friend there with you--------------

------------------------------------------------------------

"He'll Have To Go"----------Jim Reeves/1960

Same song covered many,many times by all sorts of artists.

NEXT!!

Edited by waysider

At first I thought it was American Pie, but realized everyone was Kung Fu Fighting.