GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

Reflections of My Life?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reelin' in the Years.....Steely Dan

Waysider, that was awesome! I never saw that. Nice find.

I could write a short essay about that song but I'll keep it to one quick anectodte...

In the four or five times I've seen SD since they started touring again in 1995 they've shown a marked aversion for their more pop-oriented songs such as "Dirty Work" and "Reeling". The couple of times they performed Reelin they played jazzed-up arrangements, which I hated.

SD, to my consternation, never play the same arrangements of their songs live as they do on record. And the touring guitarist -- whoever it might be -- rarely, if ever, quotes lines from the original solos heard on the record (which, to me, have already become part of the song, part of the hook. In fact, many solos on SD songs, whether they be guitar, horn, or keyboard solos are often composed. I heard that Phil Wood's amazing sax solo on Doctor Wu was written and handed to him by Becker & Fagen, though I don't know if that's true.)

Anyway, I saw them last summer. This time it was "Internet Request Night" so the entire set was comprised of fan favorites -- no solo stuff, no new stuff, nothing past Aja. They did all hits: Dirty Work, Rikki, Peg, Josie, etc. And...(drum roll)...they did a note-for-note rendition of Reelin in the Years. Same solo, same everything. Totally awesome!

I know it must have killed them to have to sit and play all of those songs the way they did. But, hey, that's why they get paid.

And she was singing

Bye, Bye Miss American Pie

drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was dry

Sorry B., that's not it.

----------------------------

"I know it must have killed them to have to sit and play all of those songs the way they did. But, hey, that's why they get paid."

Exactly!

"I dream at night I can only see your face"

I sense that nobody's getting it, so:

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace

I dream at night, I can only see your face

I look around but it's you I can't replace

I feel so cold and I long for your embrace

I have two more clues before I give it away.

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace

I dream at night, I can only see your face

I look around but it's you I can't replace

I feel so cold and I long for your embrace

Look, if nobody's gonna get this...

The words above are the bridge of the song, not either of the verses or chorus.

Does that help?

There's one more line in the bridge.

Easy. Every Breathe You Take ~The Police~

Damn, I stumped Waysider?

Good work, Human.

is worth watching but the one below has the lyrics.

As much as this song used to be played on the radio, it still gives me chills 26 years later.