GreaseSpot Cafe

The Trinity has met it's match!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I imply otherwise? I thought I said the same thing: Wierwille could not adopt the Arian model because it affirms Christ's pre-birth existence.

On a casual reading, I agree that Socinianism is the model Wierwille appears to have followed.

Jehovah's Witnesses definitely follow the Arian model (and they take the extra step of concluding that Jesus Christ and the archangel Michael are one and the same).

Wouldn't that be a fun book: "Jesus Christ Is Not Michael."

Aside from Wierwille, I know only of Anthony Buzzard continuing with the Socinian model. I have no idea how large "his" following is (I think it's called Reformation Ministries or something).

quote:
Wouldn't that be a fun book: "Jesus Christ Is Not Michael."

Yeah! And I could provide a pic of Micheal Jordan holding the PFAL book to match that title.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

"My precioussss..."

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

And the Mormons identify Jesus as the Old Testament Jehovah!

So we do seem to have quite a variety of views about him to contend with!

Never heard of Mr (Dr, Rev or whatever) Buzzard.

I was wondering what TWI offshoots such as C.E.S. might think - do they still embrace what VPW taught?

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

CES most definitely embraces what VPW taught: see the web site that is the subject of this thread:

Biblical Unitarian

CES is promoting this site on its Web page and in mailings, and the site itself makes numerous references to CES materials.

As for Mormons: most of mainstream Christianity identifies Jesus with Jehovah. I hesitate to say "all" only because I was taught it grade school never to use absolutes.

Yes, I see the irony.

Edited by Guest

The school where Anthony Buzzard teaches holds a unitarian get together one weekend each spring. I went to one of them a few years ago, and I wouldn't mind going back again if I can ever get things in order again that time of the year.

There were Biblical Unitarians (as opposed to Unitarian Universalists), ex-World Wide Church of God, ex-Wafers, ex-Jehovah's Witnesses and Christadelphians as well as Church of God, Abrahamic Faith, along with one athiest scholar who has specialized in the history of unitarianism.

It was one of the most cordual get-togethers I've experienced, much thanks to Anthony's amicability. It certainly wasn't the old TWI "speak the same things" group-think.

I learned that the Biblical Unitarians call Ralph Waldo Emerson "the Great Destroyer". And that the Biblical Unitarians still associate with the Unitarian Universalists because the UUs got control of the pension funds when the groups went their different theological ways.

The World Wide Choggers have been through as much acrimony and upheaval as the ex-Wafers have, only over different issues.

All for now.

Love,

Steve

P.S. - The phrase "the Trinity has finally met its match" strikes me as the kind of hyperbole the leaders of CES love so much. Unfortunately, all too often, they believe their own hype.

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to let you know that CES (Christian Educational Services) has no idea this thread is running. So if John Lynn, Mark Graeser, and John Schoenheit of CES don't know. Then your last comment would be a judgment issue in YOUR heart.

I (Jeff, a free will much older and wiser person than TWI days) started the thread (all by myself) and I (same I as above) put the subject on it.

Sounds like you have some withholds my friend.

This might be something you want to take a look at and seek the Lord on.

I loved the rest of your post and have heard GREAT things about A. Buzzard. He is on the CES mailing list and is in regular contact with John Schoenheit (of CES). Hope you don't hold that against him.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

I thought that the folks here would like to know about this new website but I am seeing a lot clearer that there are a lot of folks "stuck" in exTWI hang up junk. Oh well, and how sad. The website we have worked on all summer is reaching a lot of folks all over the globe that don't have exWay BAGGAGE. So, that makes it worth while.

I regret ever starting this thread. I trust at least one person had enjoyed the new site and does not see a CES conspiracy behind this post.

God bless,

Jeff

P.s. I love working at CES, you would too, www.CESonline.org But that had nothing to do with why I started the post. There is just a lot of folks "gun shy" from the past.

Jeff,

"Sounds like you have some withholds my friend."

Do I detect "Momentus" dialect there?

I also worked for CES as a volunteer on the old "Dialogue", back before they decided they would listen only to things they wanted to hear.

The last thing I heard from both John L. and Mark was that they would get back with me. It's been seven years, and they still haven't kept their words. I can't say that about John S. He just blew my question off. It was a question about being responsible as leaders.

Love,

Steve

Edited by Guest

Jeff,

There's no reason to regret starting this thread. I certainly haven't meant to imply any kind of CES "conspiracy" behind the thread or the new web site. Conspiracy implies secrecy, and I don't see anything secretive about the connection between biblicalunitarian.com and CES.

Jeff - Very much something to look and think about!

Where DID you learn to use the word "withholds" in that sense?

I followed the leaders of CES and they led me into a trap. I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them, but they still don't recognize that it WAS a trap. Their erroneous belief that they can't be fooled has gotten them into some terrific binds. Until they acknowledge the very real harm they caused their followers through their unthinking promotion of Momentus, I will not trust them as responsible leaders, nor will I sit silently by.

Love,

Steve

One of the reasons more believers in Jesus Christ don't believe that his existence began at his birth is because many of these believers were murdered in the middle ages. It seems the Pope sent his army after about 3 tribes of them and murdered them all. Where did I learn this unsavory bit of information you ask? From someone that believes in the validity of the trinity and calls himself a trinitarian. Great way to move the Word, huh?

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problem with Christ's preexistence. That does not make him God either. This clears up many scriptures in Hebrews, Colossians, Ephesions plus the before Abraham I was and the alpha and omega. After all he was sent from heaven. In Phillipians 2 He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.

Footnote:

a) Or He laid aside his mighty power and glory.

b) Greek and was born in the likeness of men and was found in appearance as a man.

NLT Copyright 1996 Tyndale Charitable

He gave up all his glory God had given him to appear in human form and became nothing to accomplish the mission. But he was a man, was tempted, could sin, had freedom of will and did not come preprogrammed with the knowledge of God's Word.

I don't have a problem with this at all.

Here's what I am saying, and I'll break it down into pieces so that you can challenge any portion you choose.

1. The Father is greater than the Son and therefore they are not equal.

2. The Father has (or had) knowledge of the timing of future events that He did not share with the Son.

3. Points 1 and 2 lead me to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is not God.

4. Hebrews 1, through employment of the figure of speech erotesis (the asking of rhetorical questions, the answers to which are implied in the asking of the question), states that Jesus Christ is not "an angel," (for, to which of the angels did He say, sit on my right hand...).

5. If Jesus Christ is not God and not an angel, then he did not exist prior to his birth, and scriptural implications to the contrary need to be explained in light of that understanding. Any explanation of those proof texts that does not address the identity of Jesus Christ as a man whose existence began at birth are, in my opinion, invalid.

This is my position.

Point 5 seems to be the one that you're challenging.

Could Jesus have existed prior to his birth without being God or an angel?

I think other explanations of the proof texts make more sense to me.

[This message was edited by Rafael 1969 on September 23, 2003 at 16:31.]

Edited by Guest

Rafael 1969:

"1. The Father is greater than the Son and therefore they are not equal."

I agree that they are not equal in strength or power.

"2. The Father has (or had) knowledge of the timing of future events that He did not share with the Son."

I agree.

"3. Points 1 and 2 lead me to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is not God."

I agree.

"4. Hebrews 1, through employment of the figure of speech erotesis . . . states that Jesus Christ is not "an angel,"

I agree.

"5. If Jesus Christ is not God and not an angel, then he did not exist prior to his birth, and scriptural implications to the contrary need to be explained in light of that understanding. Any explanation of those proof texts that does not address the identity of Jesus Christ as a man whose existence began at birth are, in my opinion, invalid."

I think I see a error here. While I agree that Jesus Christ is not our Heavenly Father, I agree that Jesus Christ is not an angel, and I agree that Jesus Christ did not live before he was born. However logic would not conclude this.

"Could Jesus have existed prior to his birth without being God or an angel?"

As was discussed previously, the idea of time-line skipping that would enable Moses and Elijah to both show up and rap with Jesus, and both return to their own times, all without disturbing the idea that they both died and are now awaiting the return. Just as Paul needed to travel forward to see the return, to build his hope, so Moses and Elijah needed Hope. Since both Moses and Elijah knew Jesus personally, it could be said that Jesus' presence was known before his birth.

I see what you're saying, but forgive me if I don't concur. I simply don't see a "non-linear" time model in the Bible to explain those verses, and I vehemently disagree that Paul was shot forward in TIME to see the new heaven and earth. I think that was a vision of the future, and as a side note, I'm not convinced it was shown to Paul. Paul said it was someone else who saw that vision. Aside from Wierwille's word, I see no reason to dispute Paul's clear statement that he knew someone who had seen this, not that he himself had seen it.

I'm not saying "I'm right and you're wrong." I'm saying "if you're right, I just don't see it in the Bible, and I see alternate explanations that make more sense to me."

Let's form two churches over this disagreement. I'll call mine "First Church of the Linear Literalists," and you can call yours "First Church of the Non-Linear Visionaries."

Edited by Guest