GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

That thing with Ellsbury happened exactly ONE DAY after he signed on with Boras. :asdf:

I hope it doesnt screw him up...

I suppose from a financial standpoint, he could do it, but it seems stupid and shortsighted to me.

There is enough Jacobylove now in Red Sox land to do him very well , if somehow he turns the fans against him even slightly by being Borassed into it, a valuable but intangible tool, his fan support, could decline and it could get rough on him...

...not yet...not even close --but people have noticed--- a few months a go to alot of people thought he was made out of magic and warm puppydogs and sunshine. That got tainted last week

Boras knows how to make money but screws up peoples images badly

There is a ways to go yet but if he starts being a pr**K, fans will be pr**ks right back to him..

Hopefully it wont happen, at least not for a long time yet.

Thank Scott Boras for that...

Edited by mstar1

In other news, Milton Bradley has signed with the Rangers.

Trust me, Tom. The fun has just begun.

yeah... I'd heard that... at least we might see some "interesting" times here in Arlington... word is that Ron Washington wanted him because of his 'good relationship' with him in Oakland (I think it was Oakland)... that's all well and good, as long as he can get him to take his meds...

I'm way too busy to start making t shirts, but you're right in that now would be the time.

I'm still on board with Andruw. I'm looking forward to seeing him set up to steal second in person. Every time he takes a lead at first the camera zooms in on his face to catch his eyes darting back and forth. If he doesn't fall in love with In-N-Out burgers here, he may have a few more steals in him.

I haven't heard much feedback or vibe on this move yet. My hard core Dodger fan friends seem more concerned as to how this will affect Andre Ethier, and Matt Kemp.I had to slap one upside the head almost to remind him that Jones is a major improvement offensively and defensively, and gives them the 'big bat' they've needed for years. Maybe. Unless he hits .222 again, which I doubt he will.

Point is, it's not like the city has gone ga ga yet. Maybe some bluw cruw pr will help.

Which I HOPE he will! :evildenk:

Don't forget that the NL West has strong pitching on all or most of the teams.

Do you have sons playing baseball?

Do YOU still think you can play?

A former MLB pitcher has developed a new and improved CUP, and I don't mean for spitting your tobacco juice into...

Check out the YouTube video... this is a REAL product... watch the guy take one in the nuts! And he doesn't even flinch.

yeah... but $10 million for one year? TEN???
that doesnt sound right to me either, It sounds way overblown but thats just me.

It could work for them.They lost their closer, its only one year and if Gagne puts together a good season (which he is capable of doing), the Brews could either trade him at mid season (if they're out of contention), attempt to lock him up longterm, or get some draft picks for him after the year is over...

Of course they could get what the Red Sox got in the 2nd half for 10mil too

Edited by mstar1

Alittle less 'frontpage' but I like THIS acquisition by the Sox.

Fenway Sports Group, the sports sponsorship company owned by Boston Red Sox principal owner John Henry, reached an agreement with Hardball Capital to purchase the Salem Avalanche. After months of rumor and speculation, the deal was made public on Monday at a press conference in Salem.

Buying an A team makes a lot more sense for the long run to me than spending the money on a shortlived, iffy and expensive Free Agent.

I Love watching this team operate

...if Gagne puts together a good season (which he is capable of doing), the Brews could either trade him at mid season

Just like the stRangers did with the BoSox! ...just like they're hoping to do with Milton!

...and the Fukadome race is heating up!

unfortunately, Otsaka (sp) 'suggested' to him that he sign with San Diego... traitor!

I don't see the Brewers looking to trade Gagne if he's doing well. The Brewers are suddenly a contender in the NL Central. It doesn't seem to take much to be a contender in the NL these days. I know National league 'snobs' who are grudgingly admitting that the AL is better, which is something I never thought I'd see.

Milton Bradley is a heck of a good player. If his head was screwed on right, he'd be a great pick up. He'll still be entertaining when the inevitable meltdown happens.

Just like the stRangers did with the BoSox! ...just like they're hoping to do with Milton!

...and the Fukadome race is heating up!

unfortunately, Otsaka (sp) 'suggested' to him that he sign with San Diego... traitor!

I understand the Dbacks are in that race... but I don't know how serious they are...

How do you pronounce that name anyway?

(wont go there)

THIS is from about 3 weeks ago

The book on Fukudome? Here's what the director of scouting had to say: "Smooth line-drive swing, no hitches, squares up on the ball really good, great eye at the plate. He doesn't have the natural loft to hit home runs in American parks, but he's got plenty of gap-to-gap power. He'll hit a lot of doubles and get on base. He's definitely going to be an asset."

Fukudome's power numbers dropped a bit last season, but the 30-year-old should be in top form after undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. What also makes Fukudome appealing is that he's an unrestricted free agent, which means MLB clubs won't have to cough up a posting fee for talking to him. As such, he's going to generate a great deal of interest. Already, teams like the Cubs, Giants, Nationals, Padres, Red Sox, Mariners, Rangers and White Sox have put out feelers, and Fukudome also makes sense for the Yankees and Tigers.

Id be a little cautious here myself, he hasnt had any of the monster years that Hideki Matsui had in Japan, and he is not going to ba another Ichiro, he would probably be solid fior someone but was hurt most of last year playing only in 63 games..

He appears to have some of the same basic mechanics as Ichiro at the plate

Edited by mstar1

FOOK-UH-DOME-EE

Alot of those Japanese guys seem to have that Ichiro style... I noticed a little of it (I thought) in Kaz Matsui's swing, not as 'get-out-of-the-box-and-down-the-line' as Ichiro, but similar... gosh, now that I see he's 30, I don't know if I want to place that large a wager on him... I think I'd like him to be about 3 or 4 years younger because he's gonna have to get used to the length or our season as well as our ballparks and pitchers...

HERE'S his stat page.

I dont know how this would project into American baseball or how they evaluate that. He seems similar but less dominant than Hideki Matsui was, who is solid but seemingly a different player than he was in Japan.

He has had some impressive years, but does seem to be injured often enough to warrant some concern...The big plus is that unlike DiceK there will be no posting fees since he is a free agent

I know Hiway will love THIS article on Fukudome

and......Just in time for Christmas:

Mitchell Report to Name About 50

One of the two individuals familiar with report said baseball officials, upon reviewing it Tuesday, felt it was harsh. The other individual said the union was aware of at least portions of the report, and was upset by what it had seen...

The evidence that Mitchell will use to cite players is expected to be documentary in nature — canceled checks, shipping slips, phone records — and not based on positive drug tests...

Active players named in the report are likely to face discipline that will be less severe than the 50-game suspensions now in place for first-time positive tests for steroids. The discipline imposed will probably be based on the penalties in place in baseball when the player’s violations occurred. Baseball did not have penalty testing for steroids until 2004 and did not ban H.G.H. until before to the 2005 season.

This

could get ugly

stay tuned tomorrow at 2--get yer popcorn ready

Edited by mstar1

Quoting T.O. now mstar?

re: the Cubs and where to bat Fukudome? I sure wouldn't drop Soriano below the second spot... you want that guy to get to the plate as much as possible. But it will be interesting. But I'd sure be leary of putting a guy in the leadoff spot who had never played in the majors... to me it's different than putting a rookie there that came up through the minors...

Im a little leery of PECOTA--especially with japanese players, but I have to honestly say I havent really studied it all that much either. If his .401 projected OBP comes true I can see them batting him up in the order somewhere, at least it would make sense, but I have no idea exactly what Sweet Lou and the Cubs organizations plan is for him. I may be wrong but I think Japanese players ( well outside of Ichiro) generally have atendency to be down in their numbers during their first year adjustments.

That guy who wrote the article was alittle quick on the draw to start laying out the batting order a few hours after the signing...

any bets on who's in the steroids list??

someone is gonna have their christmas ruined....

Neither am I---I thiought it was interesting that the O's just traded Miguel Tejada to the 'stros, right after I posted that story....with his relationship with Palmiero a few years back I have to wonder if the timing of the deal is in part due that they may be expecting him to be named in the report tomorrow....

?? dunno--timing was odd though

any bets on who's in the steroids list??

Charles Barkley? :biglaugh:

I'm not expecting any team to go unscathed... at least by the time it's all over...

If the list is going to be heavy on power hitters, the Dbacks might not get dinged... but then again, the now retired Matt Williams was implicated a few months ago... but that might have "just" been for using HGH.

I can't imagine that Barry will be left off the list.

I think we're all going to be surprised (or not) by the numbers and age range of the folks on the list... I know most of your players aren't old enough to remember when Reagan was president but before it's all over, not just this initial release, I don't think any team will go unscathed... (I'm including minor leaguers as well)...