GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

O yea they're good--Im not suggesting that they arent a great team--Incredibly good pitching and great defense, i am surprised a little by the offensive numbers theyve put up in this series---I knew they had it in them---but didnt think that Id see it over and over in one series like this----Ive said before and have experienced with the Red Sox that the playoffs seem to go to the good team that all jells together at just the right time--and the Rays definitely are...

At this moment they are definitely looking like the team to beat-and the team of destiny for this year.

This would be incredibly deflating if the past few years hadnt been so good to me baseball wise.. it is a little disappointing, but if the Red Sox end up losing this series--even though to me they look terrible at least they lost to a very good team.

Next years AL East is going to be mind boggling tough-as yknow the Yanks and RedSox will be out to improve themselves and the Rays are all very young and solid..

of course at 1-3 we have them just where we want them :wink2:

I don't know about you guys... but I think these Rays are pretty good...

...I know that the BoSox are the kings of comeback... but... I'm just sayin'...

I'm kinda getting that idea too...

of course at 1-3 we have them just where we want them :wink2:

Ooooh... now you're sounding like one John Sidney McCain III! :blink: :biglaugh:

Cheer me Mstar! Tell me stories of the 2004 Playoffs---let's relive the glory days. . . cause they gotta do it again. :doh:

My money is still on Boston--if I bet that is.

We love a a happy ending here in the Nation. Hope we have one--but then again, no one is better at the sting of disappointment than Boston Fans--except maybe Cubs fans! LOL

Cheer me Mstar! Tell me stories of the 2004 Playoffs---let's relive the glory days. . . cause they gotta do it again.

My money is still on Boston--if I bet that is.

We love a a happy ending here in the Nation.

what?? you think this is over???

there is No sense in reliving the glory of days gone by --Geisha--

THESE are the Glory Days--right now

What would this all be worth if it were easy?

You dont remeber being down in the fourth game in the 9th inning afew short years ago?

Daisuke is going tomorrow

"Daisuke" means "divine wind", like a zen master, like Yoda he has been weaving in to and miraculously out of trouble all year long

"The wind blows where it will, and though you hear the sound of it, you neither know whence it comes or where it goes"

Daisuke is like that --- nobody knows how he does it.

I dont have any idea what the wind will bring tomorrow, but having someone named Divine Wind on the mound is a really good start.

When you least expect it these winds can reek havoc on a peaceful seaside town like Tampa Bay

hurricane-jj-001.jpg

Its not over---its not over at all.

Chin up---Keep The Faith Geisha

This is just when it really starts to get good

beer.jpg

Edited by mstar1

AHHHH that worked!! Here we go!! Man, in this life there are few true pleasures--but baseball---it can bring ya joy==break your heart--and take you on a wild ride.

My guys seldom let me down. Here's to the Divine Wind--

Odd thing about him--He can load em--but they never bring in the runs! LOL

Fingers crossed they don't start now- :)

Thanks MStar I am all better!

The Dodgers didn't lose because of Furcal, though he didn't help.

They finally came back to earth and played like they did most of the year.

If they don't sign Manny-well, you can see what they are without him. Manny carried them on his back this far,

My nightmare is opening day next year, Manny gone, and Andruw Jones back in the of.

Henry always does it for me--how did you know? LOL That was GREAT!!

I am ready. I love the big show--I think white knuckle memories--grandpa waiting--and the ever present "we'll get em next year" just came flooding back.

But ya know. . . . we never get to it easily. Mstar, it is true drama--is it not?

I just get chills. So many men--so much pleasure--more than a girls heart can take!!

Are your toes crossed?

Edited by geisha779

This ones for my grandmother--When I was 4-5 and she was watching me she'd take time off from her grandmotherly duties of baking me tollhouse cookies to turn on the radio or old black and white TV with the rabbit ears to watch the Red Sox.

We'd watch or listen together and she would regale me with stories of the Red Sox of old..of Ted Williams,, Lefty Grove, Jimmie Foxx, Jimmy Piersall (her favorite) and... of course Babe Ruth...who she loved when she was a young girl growing up in Boston ...

The last game we watched together was game 6 of the 1975 World Series--the Carlton Fisk Homerun game...one of the best games ever played---and agreat and memorable time-----of course they lost the next day, the 7th game, in the 9th to the Reds so my grandmother who had been around for the glory days of the 1910's never got to see another championship after 1918 as she passed away peacefully in 1984

I know she'd be loving this-all of this -every single bit of it---I can see her tiny frame, and feel her great big smile right now--I can almost taste the tollhouse cookies.

I dont need any rituals today, I have her right here--thats all I need

This ones for her

I can just imagine the response I would have gotten a few years ago, and even now, if I ever referred to the Yankees as 'underdogs', in any situation.

The Sox are the defending World Champions, going up against the upstarts from Tampa. Yes, they need to come from behind now, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Last year doesnt matter now. This is this year, this is tonight, which right now, is all I care about.

All those games of the past were great--and Im thankful for them, but this hasnt been an easy season and the way Tampa has played for 6 months I doubt that anyone is calling the the favorites for tonight.

Its an uphill road but one Ive been down before and one that is difficult.

The Sox started the season with 3 World Series MVP's that arent with the team right now --Schilling, Lowell, and Manny..

Kotsay whos playing first is a reserve outfielder, Varitek is going through a divorce and has been basically useless at the plate most of the season, Ortiz is playing while injured and the other WS MVP Josh Beckett--is also injured---Drew has herniated discs in his back--and the starting shortstop (Lugo) has been out for the season long ago. The guy they were counting on to pitch and win who threw a no hitter last year, Buchholz, was last seen in AA.

Most of these things happened after they were already behind to the Rays who were never as bad as people made them out to be..The Rays beat not only the Red Sox in the regular season but the Yankees as well

They are a good team.

So I would say that no matter what the sox did last year tonight, there will be some, probably many, that say they are underdogs some wont because of what they did 12 months or 4 years ago

whatever --it doesnt really matter to me--what other people think --if they love them or hate them--or are indifferent to them.

I still love October baseball and I love the Red Sox

Im here and Im watching now, and really I dont care if they are underdogs or overdogs, these games are all special, very special-- and if the magic of these moments happens to conjure up a vivid memory of my grandmother,, then no matter what anyone says --Im keeping it---Its part of the greatness of the game and what it does--and its why I like October so much...There is always more behind the scenes during the game that gets woven together that is usually never seen....many times its not even conscious, other times it all connects and maybe slips out especially when the games are more meaningful.

If it offends you that I mentioned my grandmother---well---excuse me---for me Its part of this moment that without my prompting just happened....

before i get way down the sidetrack

thanks Geisha for posting Tessie on the music thread!

I sang through it twice

Thats all sorts of awesome!

Oh Mstar, I just know what you are saying. I lived it too. My grandpa--with his hearing aid at the old kitchen table. The Zenith radio cranked up--just listening. The sounds, the feel, the memories. He waited, and would have loved it so too. He died in 1980.

I still have the table and the radio--I cherish them!

October is good here!

The Nation was out in force today--from 20 minutes outside of Boston, to where I ended up in Chicopee--hats --coats--tee shirts. I went into Stop& Shop--all the employees were dressed in Red Sox tee-shirts-a big banner and ballons.

Went to dinner and everyone was chatting Red Sox. Men, women, little kids--all out in Red Sox gear showing their support.

It was my pleasure to post "Tessie" Loved yours!

Sorry guys--I gotta do it--LET'S GO RED SOX!!

I have to go watch in the guest room--I tend to yell a bit! Hope we are back again!!

"the nation"... don't get me started starman!

like I said... at least your teams played in October...

I think we gotta give it up for a good young team this year though... and it looks to be a pretty good series coming up...

It surely does!

Two seriously good teams...

o well...............

Congrats to the Rays they are a good tough young team..

Its the 7th ----Im holding out

but we have a little bit of a flesh wound

BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

Right now Im mentally retooling for next year.. This will be a very interesting offseason..and it looks like it could start in about 30 minutes

OooOoOoooOOOO wait a minute

.....just when I thought I was out, they PUUUUUUUL me back in!!!!!

Edited by mstar1