GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

:(

well the day wasnt a total loss--I helped raise 40K for the homeless this afternoon.

That helps.

Sox came up one miracle short this year...I hated the lineup today--I would have had Lowrie in instead of Cora --but what are you gonna do....

Congrats again to the Rays--they'll be a tough team for a long time---I'll pick 'em in The WS.

Time for us to rebuild--too many holes--the bottom of the lineup was a blackhole for the entire series

On the plus side no more FrankTV ads and no more TBS until next October.

I guess TBS can restart the Steve Harvey Show now

You just got paid back by Bay's "check" swing...

not quite a payback since the bases werent exactly loaded---the little box you like so much ticked me off throughout the whole series

Hey Mstar... take a deep breath... it was a great season to get this far.

Im fine, i cant complain -I love October baseball, the heavy intensity, the highs and lows that are incredibly magnified and all that--and I got more than my fair share, Thats my 4th 7th game in 6 years.

When you get to play this late, its a little disapponting not to go all the way --but mostly it is reason to be thankful for a very enjoyable and exciting season.

Hats off to the Red Sox--thanks again for a great, fun, enjoyable, and exciting season. With all the crazy things that are going on in the world Im very thankful to have one place i can go that keeps me not only sane but happy as well.

They done good

I'll miss it tomorrow when there is no game, of course, but for now just--thanks

Edited by mstar1

Im fine, i cant complain -I love October baseball, the heavy intensity, the highs and lows that are incredibly magnified and all that--and I got more than my fair share, Thats my 4th 7th game in 6 years.

yeah... well... enjoy it while you can... we've only had three playoff games PERIOD... in 36 years!

heck... we're excited if we're still "in it" at the end of May! ...but I like the things that El Presidente is doing (and going to do) with the young pitchers now... at least what he says he's gonna do...

maybe we'll see some playoff baseball here sometime... all we need is pitching!

yeah... well... enjoy it while you can... we've only had three playoff games PERIOD... in 36 years!

heck... we're excited if we're still "in it" at the end of May! ...but I like the things that El Presidente is doing (and going to do) with the young pitchers now... at least what he says he's gonna do...

maybe we'll see some playoff baseball here sometime... all we need is pitching!

Here's to a 2009 WS featuring Texas vs. Arizona!!!

been there Tommy--Thats why I get so excited during these things-You never know when they'll come again-there is no reason to hold anything back.

The tough part of this is waking up and realizing that, like the rest of you, Im now waiting until mid February for spring training...and that day to day comfort, familiarity and fascination of watching a simple game has turned the seasons and now winter is almost upon me....and thats it.. it's over...just like that ..darn...I need more baseball

Like I said a few posts ago there are some changes to be made--will Varitek be back? Thats a big question mark which would mark the end of an era, Mike Timlin will be gone after 6 years, and there are definite holes to fill...

Time to get a log on the fire --this is gonna be an interesting Hot Stove League--for the Red Sox and for alot of teams

That was a good journey --Its a long long way from that trip to Japan in March and the game in the LA Colosseum that we talked about here.

Okay, Congrats Tampa Bay! The Bosox gave me my October thrill--made my heart soar and I love em for all the pleasure they give! I really do. I love that team.

NOW, this is the part I really do NOT like. This is it. . . . . the waiting. It begins. The kinda slow pokey almost blah time. . . . until Feburary.

That is when it comes alive again. You hear the chatter--watch the training. Who is where. . . .it is enough until opening day. . . .when life perks up and baseball is back.

I am serious. . . I have done this for years. . . the wait. The time when things seem to come to life. . . it all revolves around baseball!! LOL

I should start skiing again. . . at least winter here would have something. But, nothing really can replace that thing. . .

BASEBALL!!

Chin up Mstar--what do we say here? We'll get em next year. You bet we will!!

You bet we will Geish!

Im looking forward to that cold April opener in Fenway, bundling up in sweatshirts and longjohns and seeing it allllll happen and unfold again...getting to know the new faces and facing the season with a combination of uncertainty and excitement

Maybe its a New England thing-due to the cold harsh winters that make it such a passionate fanatical thing around here--Its a kind of family -a kind of insanity and it makes life great.

I probably like you should take up skiing or snowshoeing or something to fill the winter, it gets long cold and grey without that extra oomph everyday. i read alot in winter but that doesnt always cut it

Maybe it'll be The Bruins...that could be fun..theyve been looking good and my hockey fandom has lapsed since the Bobby Orr days---I may have to rekindle that

:)

no matter what I'll definitely be counting the days until I can next hear Remy saying "Buenos Noches Amigos!" :biglaugh:

By then even the Foxwoods commercials wont seem so bad!--I even miss the Sullivan Tire guy :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Its been a good year!!

I hope you stick around for the hotstove league -or at least pop in once in awhile Geisha--I enjoy your company, its good to have kindred onboard.

Stay warm and cozy

Next year we get em!

AND

as Ive been saying since mid May about the Rays--they should fold any day now--

BUT

they're not gonna----Rays in 5--- B.J. Upton MVP

I'll be watchin' but its just a leeeeeedle bit different :biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

I lived my first 30 some years in those cold New England winters. Baseball is a fanatical thing there. Of course where I came from, it was all about the Yankees, who happen to be down right now, but we'll see what the winter brings.

The AL East may be an even bigger monster by next year.

When it comes to the World Series, you have to get into it regardless of who's there. If it's dependent on your team being there, then the vast majority of fans will be disappointed the vast majority of the time.

There's plenty of winter coming to reflect, and get ready for next year. These 2 two teams just might put on a heck of a show.

They probably will--and i'll be there--I suppose there is a reason they give you a few days between series to adjust to it--most teams fans have already had at least 3 weeks, some much more -----Ive had about 9 hours ---gimme a minute to get a little enthusiasm generated :biglaugh:

I cant shift that fast.......

I like the Rays and they seem unbeatable but in another sense I'd like to see the fans of Philly have something to hang their hat on---theyve paid their dues for a long time...

Edited by mstar1

Im allright--this wasnt one of those kick in the gut losses when you outplayed someone and lost--they were outplayed by a better team....it was a good year and I feel alright....----but damn being an M's fan has to be rough---The people of the NW deserve better-hopefully it will fall in line for them someday soon--so they can experience some of the fun and enthusiasm that goes along with this......

Right now my heart is with the guy that you know somewhere somehow got drunk in Vegas last winter and for a few laughs laid down some cash on Tampa to win it all when the odds were about 1000-1

:biglaugh:

You know he's out there somewhere...

yeah... he's out there... and his name is probably Phil Mickelson!

when is this thing gonna start!?! come on... we're ready!

And how about some congrats to the real Roy Hobbs? Today the players voted him AL outstanding player! the year!

As a result of a vote conducted among Major League Baseball players, the 2008 Players Choice Award winner for American League Outstanding Player is Josh Hamilton. He received more votes than fellow finalists Justin Morneau and Dustin Pedroia.

Hamilton is also a finalist for AL Comeback Player of the Year, along with Cliff Lee and Troy Percival. The winner will be announced this Thursday.

On Friday, the Marvin Miller Man of the Year will be announced. Michael Young is one of three finalists, along with Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols.

Congrats to Hobbs -that was an 'outstanding' year!

Good for him---

Im pickin Tampa in 5, although Im hoping it goes 6 to hear the reaction to the Obama game delay.

(at least it wont be Steve Harvey again...)

Hamels may win Game 1, Kazmir hasnt been looking that good but from the little Ive seen of the Phils, Tampa just seems like all around better club

Either Upton or Longoria, even if they are 75% of what they have been in the ALDS and ALCS, will be MVP

Useless fact of the day: If TB wins, the Phillies will have lost in the World Series 5 times, once to each team in the AL East.

'15 Sox

'50 NYY

'83 O's

'93 BJs

..meanwhile the candidates choose the WS--

Edited by mstar1

Who's watchin?

I cant believe that Victorino just challenged Uptons arm, I suppose being ahead 2 nothing in the first game it may have been a chance to gamble, but Upton has a flaame throwing rocket for an arm and that looper wasnt that deep. The Phils would have still had the bases loaded with a potential big inning but that was snuffed...

We'll see if it matters--It probably wont ---but that was a mistake n my little book

Who's watchin?

I cant believe that Victorino just challenged Uptons arm, I suppose being ahead 2 nothing in the first game it may have been a chance to gamble, but Upton has a flaame throwing rocket for an arm and that looper wasnt that deep. The Phils would have still had the bases loaded with a potential big inning but that was snuffed...

We'll see if it matters--It probably wont ---but that was a mistake n my little book.

That was n't the only mistake the Phillies overcame... bottom of the first, Akinora's hit seemed like Hamels should have been able to get to first base for the toss... obviously, Howard wasn't fast enough on his own to beat Akinora. But that DP on the next batter wiped that out...

BUT... it was still a good, close game. I can't imagine the Phils being able to keep the Rays' offense subdued very long.

I thought the Rays lost it when they had the bases loaded and hit into a double play. Those opportunities don't come often, and failing to score seems to always come back to haunt.

The throw by Upton sent some message. Maybe the Phillies didn't take the scouting report seriously enough, but they will now, and it may change an upcoming game. That was a bullet.

Hamels is the Phillies best starting weapon. I don't see the rest of the staff doing as well.

I'm hoping this Rays exposure, will help get that cool, new stadium with the sail, moving. The Tropicana is one sad ballpark, and they deserve better.

The scouting reports was the first thing that I thought about on the Upton throw--I was in the boxes about 6 weeks ago and saw him unleash a throw home that reminded me of Reggie Smith --when Victorino was going my only thought was

--uh oh--that aint gonna happen--3rd out

Werth lead off the next inning with a double

Scouting reports can mean a lot in a series like this---Id also like to hear Lifted check in and get his opinion on the balk/pickoff of Pena..It looked balky to me, but Im not that clear on those rules...

I hope they get their new stadium too (renderings here), So far we havent seen it, but when balls start bouncing off the catwalks, or going up and never coming down its disruptive to the game..

I dont know if they'll pull it off or not, even a month or two ago they were drawing just 15-20K to some games---hopefully that will change now...

Personally, I liked that little stadium that I watched a NYY spring training game in (in St Pete?) better than "the Trop"... it was dank and musty in there...

It was a good game and yes, Lidge was lights out... I haven't seen much of the Phillies this year but I hear that Hamils and Lidge are about it for them... we'll see...

Newburg sent this link out with the following comments, I thought you guys might want to take a look at it in your "downtime" on travel days...

I also want to direct your attention to a really well-done account of Hamilton’s fascinating pre-addiction life. Parts of it are especially chilling, given what we know now about what he went through not long after the four-part St. Petersburg Times series (three written by Anne Hull during and following his 1999 rookie season and one – eerily – written by Marc Topkin as an epilogue of sorts – but a prologue in another way of looking at it – three days before the infamous truck accident in which he and his parents were involved during spring training 2001), and all of it, I suspect, will give you a greater appreciation for the life that Michael Main and Manuel Pina and Justin Smoak and Shane Funk and Bill Richardson and dozens of others like them live, and have lived.

Think what you want about life in the lower minor leagues – I bet this series will change your perspective. It’s really, really well crafted, and the fact that it happens to have been written about Josh Hamilton before he’d faced any real adversity in his life obviously gives it another couple layers of wow.

You can find all four parts (which happen to also have a ton of childhood and teenaged photos of Hamilton) at this link:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/abaseballstory/

But beware: It’s going to command a good half-hour of your time, if not more. Well worth it, in my opinion.