GreaseSpot Cafe

Why Stay When You're Miserable?

Oakspear

quote:
Giants? In their minds, maybe.

Kinda reminds me of a twist of that phrase that we often see on a rear-view mirror:

"Things will look bigger in their mind than they really are."

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 10 Reasons to Stay When You're Miserable:

10. Not really miserable-since all the troublemakers left the fellowship things have been really quiet and peaceful for everyone else. Both of us are quite happy now.

09. After 20 years, addicted to cheap chocolate cookies and coffee!

08. It's only been 20 years, give it time, it'll change!

07. Your bookstore table display in your living room where the TV used to be has started talking to you at night and wants you to stay.

06. Ex-Spouse left, best friends left, family left. If you leave there won't be anyone to do set up!

05. Finally sold everything of value you own and now have no debt of any kind. Time to start saving for that retirement tent!

04. Used to have lots of questions. Since you decided to stop asking questions everything goes much smoother and that miserable feeling is now more like a dull throb.

03. Current spouse says I'm not really miserable, I'm just not believing for images of victory to prevail in my life. *smaks head* No wonder!

02. This is the only place that has the accuracy of the Word. I know that beyond the shadow of a doubt, I've checked everywhere and this is the only thing that makes sense. (turn tape over for rest of message now please)

And the Number One Reason to Stay When You're Miserable:

01. Personal committment to the saying "Life sucks, then you die!"

I'm proud to say I get to be the first poster after Brother Argyle's work of art!

quote:
10. Not really miserable-since all the troublemakers left the fellowship things have been really quiet and peaceful for everyone else. Both of us are quite happy now.

YOU'SE a FUNNY MAN SIR S.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

redface.gif:o-->

Ala, Pre-91, the legalism was just if you were late for twig, you'd get smacked in the head but not hard enough to actually knock you out, just hard enough to make sure you got the accuracy of the Word on the topic: We love you and if you're late 10 minutes and keep 10 people waiting you just wasted 100 minutes, what's the matter why can't you be a good steward of time if you can't be faithful in little things you'll never be faithful enough to carry Don Weirwille's jockstrap and if you say that's little too you're kicked out you infidel, that's not funny!!!!!

Post-91, the legalism was more - if you were late for twig you got sent home and waited for people in black hoods to show up and Ask Questions about why your refrigerator door had magnets with pictures of stars on them with your kids names, what's up with that are you in to astrology now too????

There was a big difference.

devilbanana.gif

This just in-Giants sited in San Francisco! Relocated from the East Coast, large, steroid laden men have shown up dressed in baseball jerseys! Story at 11!

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

There were giants in the Bronx in those days...

Oldies, I must ask for a PT with the names of those to whom you are referring. Since I was in the Bronx at the time, no doubt I know who these heavyweights were.

I can think of only two. One was corps at the time, stayed in and is still in until this day. He tried to persuade WordWolf and me to stay using, quite possibly, one of the stupidest lines of reasoning I'd ever heard. God chose VPW and VPW chose LCM by revelation, so LCM had to be the right choice or God was stupid. Never mind that God chose King Saul.

The other used the now infamous line, "I'm going to stand with the ministry that taught me the Word!"

To which WordWolf and I responded, "Great. We're going to stand with the Word. See you after the Gathering."

Giants? In their minds, maybe.

He can't be referring to the FIRST one,

since that fellow was not FROM the Bronx, did not move TO the Bronx, and has not,

AFAIK, returned TO the Bronx since then even for pizza or a Yankees game.

The reason you're thinking of him at all is that he spent a corps interim year in the

Bronx. (And has a shirt from the Bronx believers commemorating this,

saying "Corps Interim Year" on it, complete with the year.)

That guy was in NYC for several months, but was NOT in NYC as of 1989, certainly,

and thus, definitely not in 1991. In 1989, he was given a staff assignment at a root

locale. Further, he never thought of himself as a New Yorker. When he saw a sign

listing the dates for "Bronx Week" he once joked about some of the events that might

be taking place that week-competitive events like mugging and hubcap-stealing.

So, that leaves him the second guy, maybe.

quote:
Anyway, folks that were once GIANTS in believing in the Bronx, reduced themselves to embarrassments ...
Raf and Wordwolf, I was referring to folks who were once leadership in the Bronx in the 70's and early 80's, when I lived there. They or I were not in the Bronx in 1991. In 1991, they had a twig and lived closer up by Poughkeepsie, where I live now. But they ONCE were GIANTS in the Bronx, and that says something.

awesome.gif

quote:
But they ONCE were GIANTS in the Bronx, and that says something.

... And then the Bronx lost its bid to start its own professional basketball team, and the giants faded from public view.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

cmon, folks, where is your NYC geography??? The former NY Giants were located in Manhattan, across the river from the Bronx. Hence the "Miracle of Coogan's Bluff" and "The Giants Win The Pennant! The Giants Win The Pennant! The Giants Win The Pennant! " and all that...meanwhile, the Yankees built da House of Ruth right acroos the river in...da Bronx!! So da Bronx still has der Bombers while Manhattan has been bereft of their Giants since '58...as well as Brooklyn losing their Trolly Dodgers...