GreaseSpot Cafe

Christ's doctrine

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the subject

Second John

1The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; 2For the truth’s sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever. 3Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. 4I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.

5And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. 6And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

7For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

12Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full. 13The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen.

"abideth in the doctrine of Christ"

Apparently we can know it and but not abide in it.

"He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

A wide range of understanding here and comprehension.

"biddeth him God speed"-

speed

5463 chairo { khah’-ee-ro}

a primary verb; TDNT - 9:359,1298; v

AV - rejoice 42, be glad 14, joy 5, hail 5, greeting 3, God speed 2, all hail 1, joyfully 1, farewell 1; 74

GK - 5897 { caivrw }

1) to rejoice, be glad

2) to rejoice exceedingly

3) to be well, thrive

4) in salutations, hail!

5) at the beginning of letters: to give one greeting, salute

Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon, (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.) 1995.

quote:
For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist

Very, very interesting.. makes me wonder where the "absent Christ" concept fits into this.

Mr H and others,

Thanks for the input. I agree that "love your neighbor" has to be a part of Christ's doctrine. Remember when loyboy started defining "neighbor" as someone who was in twit world ONLY? I don't think there was any true love left by the 90's. It was all conditional. So, between that policy and loy's "designer causes"(all charities are worthless-give to twi only) thing, there was no giving to help anyone.

quote:
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house,

a little more smurfette...

receive him not into your house

so many times "house" refers to the mind

it's the temple of the Lord

just a little different look...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hammeroni:

quote:
For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist

Very, very interesting.. makes me wonder where the "absent Christ" concept fits into this.

I don't think the "absent Christ" fits in there anymore than twi wanted this to refer to trinitarians.

But if I was to perchance a guess, from what I gather from historical circumstances - this may refer to other Christian movement(s) of the time which viewed Jesus as an angelic being; those which were generally referred to as "docetists". There was also one or more groups that denied that Jesus was the expected "Christ" of the Jews, who came to fulfil their promises - but a universal Savior of a new, different god, who came to overthrow the OT law rather than fulfil it.

Were these guys as evil and deceptive as "John" is making them out to be? Probably not.

Christian groups back then were as competitive with each other as various Christian groups today.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...