GreaseSpot Cafe

Christ's doctrine

Hi all. I was reading the deceptions thread in here and read 2 Jn 9. The phrase, "Christ's doctrine" got my attn. twit taught that what was in the Gospels was for our learning. But what other doctrine would Christ have besides what is recorded in the Gospels? (Except for a few quotes in Acts) What would you all define as Christ's doctrine? Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in "about the way."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings -

The "doctrine" or "teaching" of Christ would - at least in my view - refer to anything taught by Christ Himself (like those things recorded in the gospels).

It's possible that the author also had in mind the "precepts" of Christ mentioned earlier in this same work. The precepts or commandments of Christ oft had to do (again, in my view) with those teachings Christ taught pertaining to love, or loving others. Like those things contained in His "Sermon on the Mount" in Matt. or "Sermon on the Plain" in Luke or "Sermon by the Sea" in Marcion's Gospel.

Danny

quote:
2Jo 1:9 --

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

2Jo 1:10 --

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

According to Bullinger, the first word "Christ should be translated "Messiah", and the second use of *of Christ* should be ommited.

Looking at the first few verses before number 9, the context (to me) seems to be Love, but then verse 10 turns around and basically seems to say the opposite of "love your enemy". Go figure. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I would say that overall, Christ's doctrine can be boiled down to the two great commandments:

Love God and then love others.

I just looked at the Companion Bible and don't see where Bullinger would translate the first "Christ" as Messiah.

And why would he? "Christ" is the anglicization of the Greek christos, while Messiah is the anglicization of the Aramaic meshichah(sp?), both which mean the same thing: "annointed".

Undoubtedly, the word translated "Christ" in the verse is christos, since the KJV translators were using a Greek text.

Jesus Christ chose spokesmen to relay his doctrine. To insist that Jesus had to "say it himself" in the Gospels for it to qualify as Christ's doctrine is to deny him the right to choose spokesmen to say something FOR him.

Jesus himself said that his Gospel recorded words were incomplete. John 16:12 has him saying "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now."

He then goes on to indicate that they would be guided into all truth. However this guidance was not like many want to believe, direct, that is. The guidance that brought his apostles into the all truth was through Paul's writings. Paul says so in Eph. 3:4 ("...whereby when you read...") and Peter verifies this with his dying last words in II Peter 3: 15-16.

In Acts 26:15-16 we read of Paul being appointed a spokesman with: "And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;"

Then in Galatians 1:6-12 Paul writes: "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. ____ For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

When we get Christ formed within our soul (mind) and continue feeding from the ACCURATE Word, we too can be spokesmen. The seed, token of "Christ in you" is only the HOPE of glory, and does not affect the mind.

Having Christ formed within (Gal.4:19) the soul is THE glory, not just the hope of it. Glory means speaking authoritatively of which we have TRUE ("true" means spiritual as opposed to factual) knowledge. For anyone to speak authoritatively from this Christ formed within is Christ's doctrine.

For what its worth, "doctrine of Christ" is used twice in the Textus Receptus, translated from "didache tou christou" in both instances. Both instances are in the subject verse.

It is rather interesting that there is another, non-canocial document, known as the Didache, that most likely predates this document, being dated at somewhere between 65 and 80 AD. The document was widely distributed through the Church communities as a catechical document. (Remember the canon of scripture was not established until over 300 years after these documents were in circulation)

What makes it more interesting is that this is the only verse that uses the phrase "didache tou Christou." (You can look it up on the BLB, Strong's words 1322 and 5547). Didache is used a number of places and Christos is used a number of places, but that is the only place they are used in that fashion. (The "doctrine of Christ" phrase in Heb 6:1 is "tou christou logon" -- christos logos, vice "didache tou christou" -- didache christos).

Something to consider...

quote:
Originally posted by TheInvisibleDan:

Greetings -

The "doctrine" or "teaching" of Christ would - at least in my view - refer to anything taught by Christ Himself (like those things recorded in the gospels).

It's possible that the author also had in mind the "precepts" of Christ mentioned earlier in this same work. The precepts or commandments of Christ oft had to do (again, in my view) with those teachings Christ taught pertaining to love, or loving others. Like those things contained in His "Sermon on the Mount" in Matt. or "Sermon on the Plain" in Luke or "Sermon by the Sea" in Marcion's Gospel.

Danny

Yes - Love

And somehow this lady would be able to recognize those who have the gospel of Christ, without mistake.

It flows from the scriptures and the living Christ as we grow in understanding as the spirit brings it to our remembrence.

Some things will follow those that believe. Unmistakeable and undeniably real.

It ain't "lo shanta..."

quote:
I just looked at the Companion Bible and don't see where Bullinger would translate the first "Christ" as Messiah.

Oak -- page 1878 (2John in the Bullinger bible), and in the side notes E.W. refers you to Ap. 98 IX (page 143 of the appendix section).

Maybe I misread the appendix, but that is what it looked like to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:

dmiller,

Loving God as a big commandment was around long before Jesus. Jesus was quoting Moses in Deut 6 for this doctrine.

I think loving our neighbor is also OT.

Yep. And I still think it is All One Book. icon_cool.gif

Some things just seem to transcend all the *boundaries*, don't they? icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Changing "Christ" to "Messiah" is like changing "water" to "dihydrogen monoxide."

from Bullinger appendix 98. IX. -- CHRIST

quote:
This is the Greek translation of the Heb. Mashiah.(See No. VIII.) Christos has the same meaning from chrio, to annoint. Hence, the Noun is used of and for the Messiah, and in the Gospels should always be translated "Messiah", as well as in the Acts, and sometimes in the later books of the New Testament.

What E.W.B. says -- not me. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

Oak -- page 1878 (2John in the Bullinger bible), and in the side notes E.W. refers you to Ap. 98 IX (page 143 of the appendix section).

Maybe I misread the appendix, but that is what it looked like to me.

Oops, missed that when I first looked, you're right...Bullinger says that christos should always be translated "messiah" - seems a bit straining-at-gnatish, but that's Bullinger icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

by mike

quote:
When we get Christ formed within our soul (mind)

I'm so sick of your wrong usage of this scripture I could hurl.

Galations 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

formed is a form of the word morphis

You are implying that Christ is the one to grow within. Wrong-sorry. It's talking about the person growing up and changing to know the Christ which is spirit. That Christ/Spirit does not need to grow. The people he's talking to already have the new birth-travail in birth again-he wants them to grow up.

Why don't you read the whole book of Galations and think for yourself for a change.

Whatever you got growing in your mind, you better take a another look at fella.

Edited by CM

Yep.. how all this CONTINUING to feed on the "pure" word is somehow gonna bring us to some kind of spiritual "nirvana" or "orgasm" eludes me.

Christs doctrine coming from CHRISTS CHOSEN messenger is about as repugnant. Any second rate crook, con, or hack can somehow, against all odds, by da accuracy of PFAL or something be the man that he thought he should have been. Haven't seen it happen, in my lifetime.

Interesting though. Paul, though he supervised murder, after his calling NEVER DID IT AGAIN. He never condoned it, never made excuses for it other than calling himself "the chief of sinners". Apparently, it was enough of an experience to convince him to change.

"Victor" Paul, (and Loy included) when they apparently got "da call" threw all self restraint aside and did as they wished, God and conscience be damned. "Messengers for God"? Ha.

My assessment, this hardly qualifies as "Christ's" gospel.

I think it is a little more complex- "Christ's doctrine" also warns of false prophets and teachers- deceivers. Paints them as black as their rotten souls really are. Have to think a little more and read some more, I guess..

CM,

I'm not basing what I say on Galatians only. Plus, I have seen this for myself.

When we received the token gift of holy spirit, that gift does not go into the mind area (soul) and affect it. That gift does not go into the body and affect that either. Body, soul, and spirit and three distinct categories.

Before receiving the gift we are body and soul only and are dead.

Upon receiving the gift we finally become complete beings, HOWEVER our body is still prone to sickness and death, and our soul/mind is still a natural man's mind, which is an enemy of God and cannot deal with spiritual matters, considering them foolish.

After receiving the gift of holy spirit we can continue feeding that corrupt mind with God's ACCURATE Word. Even though it can't comprehend spiritual matters, that corrupt natural-man mind can believe the written Word. Believing is a natural process.

As we continue this feeding there comes a point where God can perform the next stage in our development, which is forming a NEW mind in there, the mind of Christ. THEN we can understand spiritual matters as that mind grows and surpasses the old man nature, which by this point is dying off.

This stage is now available, since the ACCURATE Word has again been made available to us. It was lost in the first century, but during the 1942-85 period it was completely restored in the PFAL writings. This is why we can live in a new administration, since new things are available.

The last stage is having our bodies renewed, receiving the perfect body. This is still future, and comes at the very end of this new administration.

You wrote of my mentioning of "Christ formed within" thusly: "I'm so sick of your wrong usage of this scripture I could hurl."

This is your natural man's mind rejecting spiritual matters.

If I were you I'd come back to PFAL and resume feeding from the ACCURATE Word. Either you haven't gotten Christ formed in your soul yet, or that mind of Christ is in there but it's at such a baby stage that your old man nature still dominates. When we use our natural mind we can't understand spiritual matters and they seem foolish to us. The revulsion will pass as you come back to God's plan of development where all three categories, spirit then soul then body, are to be renewed.

quote:
This stage is now available, since the ACCURATE Word has again been made available to us. It was lost in the first century, but during the 1942-85 period it was completely restored in the PFAL writings. This is why we can live in a new administration, since new things are available.

Good grief. Nice claim. Let's see what it can do. My question is STILL unanswered. What is "coming back to da ACCURATE word.." doing for YOU?

1. I raised _________ from the dead.

2. Signs follwed my "renewed mind" ministry. They were ______________.

3. I did "the works of Jesus Christ" as they are defined in PFAL. They were ______________.

4. I "cleaned out" the hospitals at _______________, and it hit the national news.

Any one of these would at least be a start..

"well, I got a brand new car!" would be a SMALL matter.

Honestly- you make the claims, lets see the action. Crap or get off of the stinking pot.

I already answered that, both recently and several times in the past two years. If I answer it again it will be ignored again.

If I were to fill out your questioneer you wouldn't believe me.

If you are happy with your relationship with God fine. If you want to see what you missed in PFAL and enjoy a better relationship come back to PFAL.