GreaseSpot Cafe

What's the deal with the British accent? I gotta problem...

J0nny Ling0

First of all, I love the English accent, whether it be "cockney", that of a "Londoner" or whatever. In fact, I love all kinds of accents, especially the "Brooklyn accent" I do it very well, and the ladies seem to love it. But the British accent is very nice, in all of it's various dialects. So, Trefor Haywood, I expect you to weigh in here heavily. I mean after all Trefor, you are from our Mother Country...

Ok. So, I was watching one of the many "Three Musketeers" movies today, and a realizaztion came to me. One that had come to me before a number of times, actually...

This was the one with Charley Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland (Jack Bauer!), and Oliver PLatt. All of these guys were portraying the Three Musketeers who were sworn to protect the King of France. But amazingly, almost all of the "Kings men", supposed Frenchmen, spoke with a very nice British accent!" So my question is; "WHY?!"

Why is it that the British accent is used so heavily in movies where the "country men" and women speaking are supposed to be portraying people of different countries that are obviosly not England?

For example: Why is it in many of the older movies that portray the Roman Senate, that they speak with these really nice refined British accents? I think Peter Ustinov spoke with a very nice Brit accent in some Roman Senate or Greek Senate movie. Yet the movie was about Greeks or Romans, and the name "Ustinov" sounds decidedly Russian? Something is going on here. Therefore...

I conclude, and I bow to the Brits, that their proper English accent, is a most pleasing sound that seems to lend to "authority" and intellectualism..

Has anyone else wondered about this phenomenom?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I like books better than movies. icon_smile.gif:)-->

In the Three Musketeers (book), Alexandere Dumas has them using French phrases, idioms, figures of speech common to the times -- and our imagination is enabled to supply the accent, intensity of speech, depth of voice, all that *good stuff* that is already provided for you on the *silver screen*.

On Athos! On Porthos! On Aramis! On D'Artangnan!

It's HEY not HAY Jonny! redface.gif:o-->

Accents are in. In the old days of British cinema one had to have what is known as a "RADA accent." That meant everyone sounded posh no matter how lowly a character they were playing. Then as cinema became more international and probably due to the American influence, accents became more of a mixture including regional accents.

But there are also films where accent is not British English - in Amadeus for example Simon Callow (a fine Brit actor) went American because most of the actors in it were I expect, yet Roy Dotrice retained his Brit one.

Peter Ustinov was a master of accents - yes his name is Russian but he was born and brought up in England. He was in Spartacus and played Nero in Quo Vadis with a Brit accent but also did the old man in Logan's Run with an American one and a Belgian French accent in Death on the Nile. Many of the Roman historical films had a preponderance of Brit actors, including Laurence Olivier so it's not surprising that Americans would at least try to tone down their accents.

It has to be said that many Americans cannot do a good Brit accent whereas the Brits can do a good American one. Rene Zelwegger is a notable exception to the rule! angelkit.gif Amongst others!

Back in the 30s, however, who would have thought that the perfect Southern Belle would be a Brit? wink2.gif;)-->

The French historical stuff - well the French accent speaking in English could well have a more limited appeal and being a neighbour country using English would appeal to a wider audience. Gerard Depardieu is accepted in English despite the obvious French accent.

But these days a mixture of accents appears to be more acceptable and you often hear people supposedly related and from the same area using entirely different ones just as much as others modify theirs. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has American hobbits, Scottish hobbits, northern english hobbits, Welsh dwarves with Scottish accents, Australian elves, cockney orcs, American rangers besides RADA wizards. Yet do we really notice them so much? Full marks to Brad Dourif,however for his Wormtongue which was just so British!

Actors are getting more international, even the American ones, and the ability to speak English as it is spoken in the Mother Country, is seen as an increasing asset and widens their availability for roles. There is a noticeable improvement in this ability among the Americans - the proper English accent is recognised as being more pleasing even by Americans themselves and where the accent is of course proper and natural for American movies, so many movies these days are set or made elsewhere.

I always cracked up at that Monty Python movie 'The Life of Brian' I mean, here they're supposed to be from Israel or Romans and they all talk like Brits. I especially liked the scene where John Cleese as a Roman soldier scolds Brian for his improper grammar and makes him write 'Romans go home' all over the place.

I suspect Brit celebrities know full well how charming the accent is perceived by Americans. David Niven, Davy Jones, even Mick and Keith and David Bowie have scored points with American audiences with their accents.

Curiously, the video called 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus' circa 1968 features several speaking parts for Mick and Keith and it sounds like they were deliberately not using British accents. That show was originally on BBC only so no Americans had access to it until the late 90s. Like I say, curious.

quote:
Originally posted by ChasUFarley:

The ones I hate hearing the accent on are those that are from as far away from the UK as possible - like Madonna. What a poser!

What's wrong with Madonna's accent? I haven't seen her in an interview it in a long time, so I have no idea what you are talking about here. icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

Sharon -- Yes, I noticed that too!

Another one that was horrible was Kevin Costner in Robin Hood - his accent is American for part of the movie and then British for other parts....

Funny thing is that if someone has a British accent, they're assumed to have an IQ 10 points higher than they actually have, but if they have a Southern accent*, they're IQ is lowered by 20 points!

*Before all y'all below the Mason-Dixon Line jump on me quicker than pigs on slop, remember Chazzy lived in the ol' South for a good little bit and is fluent in Southernese...

quote:

Another one that was horrible was Kevin Costner in Robin Hood - his accent is American for part of the movie and then British for other parts....

"But what makes you think that the people will follow you?"

"Because-unlike some Robin Hoods,

I can speak with an English accent."

(King John and Robin Hood, from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights")

======

Then there's "Ramirez" in Highlander,

played by Sean Connery, with a Scottish accent,

and Marissa Tomei in "the Perez Family."

I kept wondering who all these "Jews" were she was talking about.

Her "accent" consisted of saying "jou" instead of "you."

quote:

Funny thing is that if someone has a British accent, they're assumed to have an IQ 10 points higher than they actually have, but if they have a Southern accent*, they're IQ is lowered by 20 points!

*Before all y'all below the Mason-Dixon Line jump on me quicker than pigs on slop, remember Chazzy lived in the ol' South for a good little bit and is fluent in Southernese...

What you said is true, because of the accent and the stereotype that all southerners move slow they are considered stupid. (not picking on you here) icon_smile.gif:)-->

We can move fast when we need to wink2.gif;)-->

quote:
Trefor Heywood said: Madonna lives over here I believe - certainly she got married in Scotland and bought a house in London! wink2.gif;)-->

So she's picked up an accent then. Not surprising. For some its easy pick up the accent you hear all the time whether you want to or not. icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

quote:
Originally posted by Trefor Heywood:

And Harrison's absolutely terrible Scottish accent when in Last Crusade when he enters the German castle! banghead.gif

But that was the POINT. He was faking an accent he didn't have, and

trying to pass for Scottish-unsuccessfully.

I bet Ford can do a CONVINCING Scottish accent when he wants to,

and had to practice doing a BAD one.

And then to me, the worst attempt at a "hillbilly" accent of all time was in "Next Of Kin" starring Patrick Sleazy, er, Swayze. One of his "kinfolk" was played by Liam Neeson (an Irishman? Or is he a Scot?), and it was terrible!

Now, Neeson is one of my favorite actors, and totally outdid himself in "Rob Roy", but he certainly didn't cut it as a "hillbilly from up in the holler" in "Next of Kin"...

But back to my point, I guess the proof is in the pudding, that the British accent and it's many variations certainly has an appeal, for it to be used in so many movies, even though the portray-ers many times are portraying Greeks, Romans, Italians, and Conquistadors...

Ah can't stand hearin a fake suthern accent!

And it is true, Chas. When I moved to Florida I quickly realized everyong thought I was stupid. I had a little fun with that, though. wink2.gif;)--> But in the business world I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere with that accent and had to work very hard on my pronunciation. I hardly have any kind of accent at all most people don't believe I'm from the deep south. I really miss it sometimes and I love hearing my family talk about anything when I'm homesick.

Get a few mint juleps in me and I start saying some words right. wink2.gif;)-->

This is a funny topic. I never realized it, but yeah, a lot of "foreign" accents in the movies no matter where they're really supposed to be from are British.

TIME LINE OF ONE BAD ACCENT.....

I was 18 when I went WOW to CA. I had grown up in Maine and had such a thick Mainer accent that people in CA thought I was a Cockney from London!

A-YAH!

The following year, I moved to Alabama. I remember working at a Hardee's when I first got there and not understanding a single thing people were saying to me. Never mind the fact they were eating biscuits and drinking Coke for breakfast! EEEEwwww! I lived in the south for several years, as I was also a WOW in Nashville, TN (whoo-hoo, y'all!)

I moved back to ME when I was divorcing my first husband. Now everyone thought I was from the deep south. Hubby, who is an NH native, still gives me crap about how I sounded when we met in 2000. I tend to sound 'southern' now when I get tired... I worked on loosing the southern accent but still can't pronounce my "R's" when they're at the end of a word...

"Did y'all pa'k the ca'?"

So, now I just tell people that I'm really from SOUTHERN MAINE!

Because they are NOT cultured like our dear sweet Bible Belt Deep South Soul Food Eatin' Mint Julep Drinkin' Cuzins. wink2.gif;)-->

Several reasons:

There are too many northerners in FL for it to have the really truly rich southern heritage (Remember FL was the #1 winter vacation place for many rich northern families even back in the 1800's).

It's also been heavily influenced by the hispanic and Hatian immigrants moreso than any deep southern area.

They are also considered way too wild and immoral to fit into any real southern community. The first bonafide XXX movie theater I ever saw or heard about was in FL

At least that's the way FL was spoken of when I was growing up. Having lived here for many years I can definitely see the cultural influences have been very diverse and nothing like the deep south I grew up in. That being said, there are pockets of the true south down here. Kissimme hosts one of the biggest rodeos in the US and all the schools in Osceola County close for Rodeo Day every year. I like to go, but just to look at the cowboys. wink2.gif;)-->

quote:
Why is that FL, although geographically is further south than GA, AL, etc., BUT is NOT CONSIDERED THE SOUTH?!? Waz' up with that?

I don't know. All the New Yorkers who live here think it should be considered the South.

Actually, it's only SOUTH Florida (east and west, I think) that are not considered "the south." We look at Tallahassee as South Georgia.