GreaseSpot Cafe

Star Wars starts Tonight!

Mister P-Mosh

Although I really prefer the Star Trek series, I have enjoyed each of the 5 episodes released so far. One of the things I'd like to do now....is to watch the whole series in a different order. From 1 - 6 in that order, not in the way they were released.

If I were back in BMore and we had a sitter we may have gone to see it tonight. Just because waiting to see it for hours in line at the Historic Senator Theater is also like a cultural event. People dress up and have light saber fights and normal people like us get to sit back, eat pizza,and watch the freak show. lol

Then after all that you get in a real person comes out to greet everyone and intorduse the movie, see an old short that somehow realates to the movie, then get disapointed by the flick and go home. icon_smile.gif:)--> Its tons of fun. We did it for the first two.

But since we aren't there we will probably just wait till we can.

I dunno, I haven't seen the last two yet.

I loved the first two, the third one (Return of the Jedi) was already starting to get a little shopworn, and, from what I've heard, the most recent efforts have just continued their downward spiral.

Lemme know if this one's remarkably better, though...

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon Fockler-North:

quote:
waiting in line for two weeks

TWO WEEKS? icon_eek.gif

Nothing is worth that, nope, no way

Ummm, there've been some people waiting in line for 2 MONTHS - albeit not in costume until the last couple of days.

The really funny part is this - in Hollywood, Star Wars movies have all opened at Grumman's Chinese Theater. So for the past 2 months, there's been a huge campout by that theater. Come to find out 2 weeks ago, Episode III is opening at a different theater! They've been in line 2 months at the wrong theater!! HAHAHAAAAA!!!!

I saw it last night at 12:01am. It was good, much better than the previous two, although it was still not anywhere near the best movie of all time.

What is so great about Star Wars is the universe that it takes place in with all of the different aliens, robots, technology, and powers. There's nothing that comes close to the originality that the Star Wars series invented, as far as I know of. This movie had some great special effects and some great settings. It did feel a little contrived plot-wise, but that's to be expected since the other five Star Wars movies have cheesy dialog.

Also, I got there about two hours before it started and since the theater had 12 different rooms showing the movie, we were able to get good seats. There were even people dressed up like Boba Fett, Storm Troopers, Darth Maul, and a few other things. When I say dressed up, I mean they looked like they had walked right out of the movie. It was very interesting. There were also dozens of teenagers running around with toy light sabers battling each other all over the place. I was so impressed with the $120 ForceFX one that I am trying to talk myself out of wasting my money on that. I tried out the display model at Best Buy yesterday and it was great and balanced in such a way that you really could use it for fighting (obviously, you would have to fight someone with another one.)

These are not "spoilers" because they give nothing important away, but they do discuss the movie elements that I've heard discussed in reviews, etc...

Annakin's transformation was not too believable. There was nothing subtle about his pride and ambition, and his tantrum over becoming a "master" was childish for an 8-year old. You'd think a 20-something product of the samurai-like Jedi training, especially one so accomplished, would be a little less of a... big baby.

When Windu and Palpatine have their tiff, it looks like Windu is smiling inappropriately, at one "point." The DVD will show more, if it isn't edited out.

Dooku was surprisingly cooperative at his exit, knowing what he knew.

Yoda was impressive in his big scenes, but then he couldn't resist looking pretty for the camera, after easily kicking some low-level, bad-guy butt. It was Lucas winking at the audience, but out of character for the venerable, warrior munchkin. Stoic resignation would have worked better than "Woo hoo, I rule, dude!"

Toward the end of the movie, the camera looks down not once but twice at Padme's belly. "Those crafty Jedi!" What? We SAID, "Those crafty Jedi!" Ohhhhh.

Duh.

Lucas couldn't resist a little political comment in a couple of places. "If only we could go back to diplomacy, and give it a chance to work." - Padme "Whoever isn't with me is my enemy." - Darth V. I don't care when he wrote it, scripts get things called "re-writes."

satori001:

"Annakin's ... a... big baby."

True.

"When Windu and Palpatine have their tiff, it looks like Windu is smiling inappropriately, at one "point." The DVD will show more, if it isn't edited out."

Was that a smile, or a grimace of determiation?

"Dooku was surprisingly cooperative at his exit, knowing what he knew."

Movies.

I compete foil-fencing, I coach foil-fencing. Fight until the judge calls 'halt' and declares that the point was made against you. To stop and gloat, or let down your guard, while your opponent has an opportunity to attack you is dumb. But every movie does it. For 'effect'?

"Yoda was impressive ... Stoic resignation would have worked better than "Woo hoo, I rule, dude!"

Ahh, give the poor dude a chance.

It had been pointed out to me, in a fight scene from the last movie that when he fought [think running up walls across the ceiling nd doing lots of mid-air twirling] the freeze-frames made it clear that he was on one foot, and through out he limped on his cane. This movie made a point of showing both Yoda's feet, his toes, and even focused on his cane laying on the floor clearly away from him. ???

"Lucas couldn't resist a little political comment in a couple of places. "If only we could go back to diplomacy, and give it a chance to work." - Padme "Whoever isn't with me is my enemy." - Darth V. I don't care when he wrote it, scripts get things called "re-writes."

True, however this comment could have easily been made in any of the past four decades, and could have been interpreted as focused on current political events.

:-)

Edited upon request, though truly anyone having read the books [or having seen the rest of the movies] would know this part.

:-)

I just don't get the fascination. I saw the first one and thought it was the most overblown hype of a movie. I didn't get it, I suppose. Let's see, Hollywood announces a slump in movie sales, and another Lucas production is released.

Last one that came out had to start a couple of days before Spiderman came out so it could've claimed the highest grossing. Gimmiks of the industry.