GreaseSpot Cafe

Hurricane Supplies

Belle

Here in FL most things you would buy for hurricane supplies are tax free this week. I want to stock up on a few things but have a couple of questions:

Battery operated TV or Radio - which would be better?

All I have right now is a walkman, but AA batteries last a lot longer than D batteries seem to. Although I'd love to not have to walk around with a walkman.

Do batteries really need to be stored in the freezer?

SOME websites say that it's not necessary with technology these days, others say it IS necessary and yet OTHERS say it's not necessary but to keep them in a cool place.....during hurricane season when you have no power for a week there IS no cool place except the freezer, which doesn't last forever.

Thank goodness I inherited all the Y2K supplies so I have a butane stove, battery powered camping lamp, potable water tablets and other stuff I thought I'd never use in my lifetime. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Much as I hate to sweat I just can't justify $750 for a generator.

Any "convenience" items not on the standard supply list someone would recommend? I always stock up for the neighborhood post-hurricane parties we have at my house wink2.gif;)--> , and didn't miss too much except "seeing" the information as opposed to just "hearing" it on the radio. But maybe there's things I don't know about that make life easier.

Thanks!

Instead of a battery operated radio or flashlight, get a crank-powered radio or a self-recharging flashlight.

The flashlight recharges itself by getting shaken - the movement causes an electric current which recharges the electricity storage device in the handle.

I have been through quite a few hurricanes and storms since moving to the Gulf Coast 15 years ago, and you pretty much have it down. There is nothing imo thats makes a storm conveniant. If the power is going to be out a while, a generator is a must. We borrowed one after Ivan last year, since ours had broken after Georges. It was great to get rid of the ice chests.

quote:
Do batteries really need to be stored in the freezer?

Not modern alkaline types. They are usually good on the shelf for five to seven years.

Television may be nice, but a radio will do the job.

They may be costly, but if you want to keep frozen food frozen, and cold food cold, generators are a must. The price for a generator that is rated just enough to run a refrigerator is not too exhorbitant. Why have one big enough to run everything, including washer and dryer? With widespread power outages, you may not have running water anyway.

Though it may not muster enough effort to run central air, a smaller generator could probably handle a window air conditioner when its not busy keeping food frozen.

Since you will be running the generator outdoors, unless you have something REAL fancy, you may consider security. Other people will not have generators, yet they will greatly desire them, heh heh. Large chains that can't be cut with a common hacksaw seem to do the trick..

With a generator you must also consider fuel storage. Most gasoline will turn into goo in your carberator if stored untreated for over a year or so. There are additives- one brand name is Stabil, that makes gasoline usable for a very long time. Fifty or so gallons of gas will last a long long time keeping frozen food frozen, if used wisely (don't let the darn thing run all day and night, just enough to keep the freezer cold).

Distilled water is a good thing to have around, despite the expiration date on the jug, the water really does not expire. This is much better than treating unknown water with the little pills. The pills may kill bacteria, but I think they do little to remove contaminants from the water.

Another thing to consider: buy a television and/or radios capable of being hooked up to the lighter plug in your vehicle. The vehicle itself can be used for a source of emergency power when the little batteries in the TV run down.

Or buy an inverter. This can be used to run 120 Volt AC appliances from the battery in your vehicle. Just be careful not to run the battery down so far that it cannot start the car..

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

Much as I hate to sweat I just can't justify $750 for a generator.

Dear Thelma Belle Darlene,

There are such things as propane ACs. We get them here in KS at Dick's Sporting Goods. They're kinda pricey, but they work GREAT!!!!

Here's a link (hope it works) http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/searchHa...=priceAscending

Now if you shop around your town, you can probably find them quite a bit cheaper. Maybe even the Coleman website (use keyword search "air conditioners")? I know I've seen them for $150-$250.

A gas grill could always be handy... You can also get an extra propane tank.

A deck of cards and a few "board games" to pass away the time.

battery powered lanterns (sporting goods stores should have a good selection).

walkie talkies could also be handy to have if phone lines and/or cell towers aren't working.

I live in *cough* earthquake country so my needs are a little different.

For batteries, I keep at least one "brick" of AA's in the refrigerator all the time. I use and rotate them so they are never more than about a year old. For water, I know how to drain and use the water in the water heater. I keep a small camping butane stove in the garage and I have a propane heater and a couple of 10 gallon bottles of propane. Be careful how you store propane, most home insurance policies demand that it be stored outside. Be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning if you use it in an enclosed area. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

I have a case of baked beans, a case of small dannish canned hams and a case of tuna in the plastic pouches under the bed. We try to use and rotate them as well. Don't forget pet food.

If it were me in hurricane country, I'd want a small radio that could receive the NOAA weather radio broadcasts on narrow band FM.

I do have a little tiny Honda generator in the garage, but I'd not use it unless I had to. It's stinky, noisy and a little finicky. Not worth the trouble. Candles and kerosene lamps will do for lighting. Keep them and a handful of lighters and stick matches in a safe place.

Other items that are good to have around are a .22 rifle and a couple bricks of ammo. If you're so inclined, a couple bottles of good liquor and a couple large containers of instant coffee.

Yep, liquer and ammo are always a good idea.

I like the crank radio but not the ejaculight I mean self recharging flashlight. I used to work at REI and we played around with it at times. It might work for close up things for a few minutes at a time but unless you have a repressed teenaged boy whose muscules for that sort of shaking are in great shape, you will probobly grow tried and just not use it after a while. the concept is cool though. Slow wick candles are good, so are the lanterns that you can get for them. Glow sticks are good and cheap as well for real emergencies. Don't forget your duct tape, terrists can sometimes be blown in on those huricanes and you may need it.

Better yet...

How about Arizona?

No huricains...

No Toranados...

No Snow storms...

Currently AZ is one of the fastest growing states in the country... And there is a good reason for that icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• 3 months later...

I read batteries only last slightly longer when stored in the fridge. But I'm really writing to endorse the idea of guns and liquor ... or beer.

I stayed thru a hurricane 3 day power outage in New Orleans with a few other people. I did have a gun, to protect myself and my stuff from pillaging hordes, but most important, we had alcohol. Something about being alone in the city in the dark focuses the mind on what you really might need.

Fill the tub with water, and a cooler or two with ice ... and have a party ... hurricane parties were popular in New Orleans. The fear of actually getting hit directly by the storm, or being looted, makes it even more exciting.

But I came up with the better solution, move to Illinois. Except we still get pretty hot, so I need to get enough money to spend summer in Maine. And we get pretty cold, so I need more money to spend winter in Florida. So the real thing to do for a hurricane, is have a lot of money. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
yeah Z... Arizona is a great place to live... if you like living in a blast furnace!

(of course, it's that way here too three months of the year!)

They keep telling me "Oh, it's a dry heat!" Well then put your face in an oven--THAT'S a dry heat......and that's what the Arizona summer weather reminds me of.