GreaseSpot Cafe

Kosher Salt

satori001

I bought some kosher salt because it is supposedly (I don't believe it) better than ordinary rock salt for melting ice should Winter occur. I never found out.

Sodium chloride (NaCl) is just sodium chloride, right?

Apparently not. Out of curiosity, my ice-melting salt found its way on to my dinner table. What a difference!

Turns out, a lot of chefs on the Cooking Channel (Food Network) recommend it. Who knew? The stuff is great!

Maybe the name brand table salt has additives that affect the flavor. I dunno.

Some of you can't eat salt any more. Some of you use it sparingly. Some of you salt everything you can, like me. For salt lovers, try it.

I'm sure there is more exotic stuff out there, because if this is good, at $2 a container, there must be something that costs much more. Like sea salt, mined from the Sea of Tranquility maybe? I'll try to get around to it. In the mean time, kosher salt rules.

I was told by my mother, and she was told by her mother...etc., that when making homemade vegie soup - only use kosher salt. I'm not sure, but I think Morton's has something added to it that makes the broth clowdy - maybe it's even cornstarch?...not sure.

anyway, I'm a big fan of kosher salt myself, but don't forget your body's requirement for iodine. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I just happen to have before me a box of Colonial Iodized salt.

Mfg or at least distributed by Cargill, Inc. Minneapolis, MN 55440

http://www.cargillsalt.com

Ingredients: salt, sodium silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium iodide 0.006%, and sodium bicarbonate.

Mortons is similar, but I can't find my box.

Dextrose, btw, is sugar.

Interesting, huh?

I'm saying it can't be any worse than ordinary salt, and it tastes a lot better.

It's not iodized, and iodine is one of those trace minerals we need. It's not so necessary as it once was to get it in table salt, but you should make sure you get iodine (tiny, tiny trace amount - it's poisonous otherwise) from something else.

Kosher salt is cool. It looks like something between a flake and a crystal. You won't need much.

I liked sea salt too, but haven't had it for years. Remember kelp? We used it instead of pepper. Didn't taste a damn thing like pepper.

I love black pepper too. I use a grinder.

I know, kelp was a lot better for me.

quote:
And eating the rest of the week has gotten more convenient for Jews in the Northland thanks to an expanded offering of kosher products at Cub Foods in Duluth. The food retailer started offering a greater variety of kosher foods in September after Greenwald approached store director Ken Weyenberg.
Maybe these places.

Looks like you have a lot of salt to try at WFC too.

I have been a heavy salt user since I was a child, and started using kosher salt several years ago for its distinctively intense saltiness over regular salt. As I remember, Morton Kosher Salt (which is sold around here in Kroger stores) and the regular goyim stuff are virtually equal in sodium content.

Coarse and brute saltiness as an ultimate savory good ended for me, however, after I stuck my arm into one of those public blood pressure cuffs located in some stores. I’m now using Morton Lite Salt Mixture, which tastes as good as regular table salt (on most things), but has about half the sodium content of regular salt or kosher salt.

Recent discoveries: Tabasco Chipotle Sauce, Newcastle Brown Ale.

quote:
And eating the rest of the week has gotten more convenient for Jews in the Northland thanks to an expanded offering of kosher products at Cub Foods in Duluth.

Sheesh -- never thought of them. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> Cub Foods is 3 blocks from the house I work at.

Their parking lot is a royal pain-in-the-you-know-what to get in and out of, but they do have good deals and selections there.

I know this is a derail.

I wish I could find another kosher butcher! I used one for a while and while he was more expensive than supermarkets (not too bad however 'cuz I'm cheap!). His meat and chicken were way above average in taste and tenderness plus I was always assured of maximum cleanliness.

Finally, a thread with substance...lol. Thanks, Satoriman.

Morton's Kosher Salt, the coarse variety, is the standard rim sticker for my margaritas and I makes em how I likes em and I likes em how I makes em...and if I was having one, that's what I'd be having, (and I make about 50 a day...)

C'mon down, Satori...you sprinkle, I'll pour...

I was in the food processing business for a number of years and still LOVE to cook.

One of the great things about Kosher Salt in grilling is that it lasts a bit longer under the heat. Gives it enough time to bond with exiting juices.

It bonds with the juices which are leaving the flesh (heat makes the cells loose their water) due to shrinkage. Flavor leaves. Some of the flavor is volitale (sp?). Goes up in smoke.

But, the BIG salt bonds with the intensified juices and locks them up on the surface. The water is driven off, but the flavor remains.

Hence, the cooking show gurus love it... and so do I. icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

I am one that uses salt very lightly. Salt does come in the seasonings I use. I don't use it straight. But I have used the Kosher variety and it does seem to have a different taste than like the Morton variety. Maybe it's a psych deal.

When I was in the food industry, hospitality, the hotels, the kitchens always had the kosher variety on hand. Salt is a big deal in gourmet cooking, as well as butter. Kosher was the choice.

Never really thought of it until this thread.

Hmmm.

I'll take it with a flake of salt~~~

Actually, the salt itself is not kosher, if I read correctly. The salt is used to help extract blood from meat, making the meat kosher. At least that was the explanation on the back of the last box of kosher salt that I saw..

Alright, Satori, I bought some kosher salt last night, but haven't used it yet. While I was in line the lady behind me saw the salt in my cart and started telling me how she had just started using it last month and absolutely loves it. Of course I told her that I had kept hearing that and had to find out for myself. She said I wouldn't be disappointed. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Krysilis, there's instructions on salting meat in preparation for cooking on the box I bought. I wonder if that's what your butcher did that made everything taste so well? If you'd like, I can e-mail you the instructions from the box.